Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:08:04 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 852401 times)  Share 

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1815 on: April 26, 2017, 02:33:48 pm »
+1
How many essays should I write a day to improve my English?

idk if that's the best way to improve your english? if it's vocabulary you're after i'd suggest building word banks or honestly just plain old reading? but i guess if you're after improving clarity and set on essays, don't do more than one a day unless you're studying for a sac! you'll just get stale and bored of it, or burn out. tbh i try to write a paragraph/plan an essay every two days and that's just enough that i don't actively resent the subject (which i'd hate to do since i'll have to spend so much time on it soon). more than one essay a day honestly sounds like madness to me. but someone else might have a different perspective?
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #1816 on: April 26, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
How many essays should I write a day to improve my English?
I'd say on average an essay a week or maybe a bit less is good enough. Churning out essays does not necessarily improve your English ability if you don't improve and change how you write. When I write an essay, I generally hand it to someone to correct and then make a list of mistakes I made in that essay. Then I either write a new essay and try to avoid those mistakes or rewrite the essay fixing the mistakes made. I feel like by doing this I actively improve my skills rather than just writing heaps of essays and not making any progress.

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1817 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:59 pm »
What if an english subject is not in your top 4? How does this affect your atar?

vcestressed

« Reply #1818 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:17 pm »
+1
What if an english subject is not in your top 4? How does this affect your atar?
English is in your top 4 no matter what score you achieve. Its a very sad life.

MattBro

• Adventurer
« Reply #1819 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:58 pm »
Hi,
Does anyone know of any way to compare corruption to a game of cards?

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1820 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:52 pm »
English is in your top 4 no matter what score you achieve. Its a very sad life.
Oh nooooooo

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1821 on: April 26, 2017, 10:38:10 pm »
+1
Hi,
Does anyone know of any way to compare corruption to a game of cards?

I think maybe talking about cheating in card games or stuff like card counting, which allows people to gain an unfair advantage could be comparable to corruption.

vcestressed

« Reply #1822 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:09 pm »
Approx how many quotes should a text response essay have?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #1823 on: April 29, 2017, 09:48:16 pm »
+2

I usually aim for 6 per body paragraph although I don't really bother counting, just add em in where it fits.
UAdel MBBS

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1824 on: April 29, 2017, 09:53:34 pm »
+1
I'm pretty sure that you should aim to have at least one quote for every 2 to 3 sentences in a body paragraph of your text response essay. However, this is probably something you should ask your teacher, since different teachers might want different number of quotes and also since I'm no expert on these types of things.

n__n

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1825 on: April 30, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »
Question: In Medea, would it be okay to comment that Euripides condemns extremity through the fact that the prejudices (i.e sexism and xenophobia) of Medea's society makes conventional justice impossible for her? Or is incorrect to label the prejudices as 'extremities'?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 02:37:45 pm by n__n »

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1826 on: April 30, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »
Thoughts on my Medea essay? any improvements etc
What was your reaction to Medea and Jason by the end of the play? For whom did you feel sympathy and why?

Euripides’ tragedy, Medea is an exploration of the two main characters antipodal natures in the face of  conflict—passion and reason, with passion being found in Medea and reason found in the Jason, which becomes more and more evident as the play progresses. Throughout the play Medea, the titular character is a frightening and passionate woman who once after finding out her husband and father of her children participated in adultery, lets her reasoning and logic disappear. With Medea by the end of the play performing one of the most atrocious acts a mother can do, murdering her children to spite her husband, Jason, a man not completely innocent in his acts. Towards the end of the play it is evident that Jason's manipulative actions led to his children demise by the hands of his scorned wife. Whilst Medea although being wronged by Jason still does not garner the audiences sympathy due to her committing the terrible crime of filicide even acknowledging herself  that ‘my passion is master of my reason’, Euripides makes sure with this sentence that the readers be inclined to feel more sympathy towards Jason as the crime committed against him, the murder of his children being more severe and heartbreaking, then his abandonment of Medea.

Euripides character and the original ‘antagonist’ of the play, Jason commits many wrongs against Medea including infidelity with the princess and later on arranging a marriage with her. This marriage to Medea and the audience at the time can be perceived as a huge betrayal in which he claims to Medea as being a union, being both beneficial to him and his “family”, referring to the two sons he and Medea share. His acts against Medea although selfish and conniving are still outweighed by Medea's ultimate betrayal of murdering there children in order to spite and seek vengeance against Jason nullifying any initial sympathy readers may have had for her. Euripides also portrays the character of Jason as a sexist male character somewhat symbolic of the very patriarchal greek society. With phrases such as “You woman are all the same” after Medea angrily reacts to his new marriage and other sayings such as "What we poor males really need is a way of having babies on our own – no females, please. Then the world would be completely trouble free” validating Medea's feelings on her being ‘a woman’ highlighting his sexist nature in regard to woman. During these moments, sympathy for Jason is hard to find and easy to feel for Medea. Jason's seemingly sexist nature and reasoning for his marriage to Creon's daughter the princess is understandable. Jason tells Medea that "I was not […] tired of your attractions […] it was simply that I wanted above all to let us live in comfort, not be poor" . The use of the word ‘us’ when speaking to Medea about his upcoming marriage to Glauke (the princess) shows that despite his sexist nature and his insensitive actions to Medea, he still had Medea's best interest in heart, stating his marriage to Glauke as not only being beneficial to Jason and his kids but “us” Medea included in that equation, rescuing both himself and Medea from poverty and assuring their sons a place in society. Medea's banishment was not  part of the plan, reminding the audience that Medea bought the punishment down on herself and her children. Medea chose revenge against Jason to be more important than protecting her own children, whilst Jason always had his children's interest at heart once again proving that the love Jason has for there children is more than the love Medea posses for them, once again forcing the audience to sympathise with the somewhat ignorant character that is Jason.

In the beginning of the play before Medea spirals out of control, the character in which the audience’s sympathies are extended towards is Medea, a choice which seems like an obvious one. With a prominent scene before Medea is even introduced, the Nurse explains the pitiful situation She explains how Medea and Jason once had a wonderful relationship. Speaking of Medea's current state, she says, “…she will neither eat nor drink, except her own tears, She turns her face towards the earth, remembering her father’s house and her native land, which she abandoned for the love of this man: who now despises her,” showing both how depressed she is and the ‘hate’ Jason presumably has for her. With statements like these and Medea's crying the audience is also more likely to sympathise with Medea rather than Jason in the beginning of the play because they have yet to meet the true nature of her character and see her determination for vengeance as well as only bing subjected to hearing about Jason's wrong doings from the nurse and the chorus. Medea is once again sympathised with when she is banished from Corinth because her children will also be included in that banishment, characters which the audience can view as the only true innocents in the play. Medea’s misery continues to be  evident in her “lamentations” that “it’s death [she wants]” and that Jason’s actions “torment [her] heart”. She also states that she herself that her logic has been skewed by her intense feelings of contempt for Jason and that her ‘[my] passion is master of my [her] reason’. It is her fierce pride which clouds her judgement and leads her to commit filicide, as she “[would] not tolerate” being captured by her enemies and does not want to be thought of as “weak and feeble”. However, it is notable that Medea has moments of clarity where she concedes that she is “well aware” of the “terrible crime” she is to commit, highlighting how even in such a drastic state of mind unlike Jason, Medea is aware of the harm she is inducing yet does not care as long as she gets her revenge on Jason, enticing sympathy to Jason and none for her.

Ultimately Euripides tragic tale of Medea although does invoke feelings along the way of sympathy for both of the main characters, the titular character of Medea, the scorned wife and the ignorant Jason ultimately forces the readers to pick one of the characters as the most sympathetic, Jason. After making Medea perform the heinous act of filicide one even she cannot come back from any feelings of sympathy for her come character is eradicated, proving that even one of the most ignorant characters Jason can be the most sympathy worthy character over a abandoned wife.

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1827 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:34 pm »
Thoughts on my Medea essay? any improvements etc
What was your reaction to Medea and Jason by the end of the play? For whom did you feel sympathy and why?

Euripides’ tragedy, Medea is an exploration of the two main characters antipodal natures in the face of  conflict—passion and reason, with passion being found in Medea and reason found in the Jason, which becomes more and more evident as the play progresses. Nice start to the essay, which properly introduces the themes and the text. Maybe try to link this to the topic more, since right now the link isn't obvious. Throughout the play Medea, the titular character is a frightening and passionate woman who once after finding out her husband and father of her children participated in adultery, lets her reasoning and logic disappear. With Medea by the end of the play performing one of the most atrocious acts a mother can do, murdering her children to spite her husband, Jason, a man not completely innocent in his acts. This is just retelling the story, which is something you should avoid Towards the end of the play it is evident that Jason's manipulative actions led to his children demise by the hands of his scorned wife. Whilst Medea although being wronged by Jason still does not garner the audiences sympathy due to her committing the terrible crime of filicide even acknowledging herself  that ‘my passion is master of my reason’, Euripides makes sure with this sentence that the readers be inclined to feel more sympathy towards Jason as the crime committed against him Be careful of analysing quotes in the introduction, since the introduction isn't supposed to be where you analyse the text, but when you introduce your arguments and the text, the murder of his children being more severe and heartbreaking, then his abandonment of Medea.

Euripides character and the original ‘antagonist’ of the play, Jason commits many wrongs The expression here is weird against Medea including infidelity with the princess and later on arranging a marriage with her Again be careful about retelling the story. This marriage to Medea and the audience at the time can be perceived as a huge betrayal in which he claims to Medea as being a union, being both beneficial to him and his “family”, referring to the two sons he and Medea share. His acts against Medea although selfish and conniving are still outweighed by Medea's ultimate betrayal of murdering there children in order to spite and seek vengeance against Jason nullifying any initial sympathy readers may have had for her. Solid points here. Euripides also portrays the character of Jason as a sexist male character somewhat symbolic of the very patriarchal greek society. With phrases such as Although this is ok, try to imbed the quotes into your analysis more, rather than introducing the quote with these kinds of sentences. “You woman are all the same” after Medea angrily reacts to his new marriage There is no need to put the context of the quote in here, since it doesn't add anything to your argument. and other sayings such as "What we poor males really need is a way of having babies on our own – no females, please. Then the world would be completely trouble free” validating Medea's feelings on her being ‘a woman’ highlighting his sexist nature in regard to woman. During these moments, sympathy for Jason is hard to find and easy to feel for Medea. Jason's seemingly sexist nature and reasoning for his marriage to Creon's daughter the princess is understandable. I feel like this sentence contradicts your previous sentences, since you're saying that at this point in the play, Jason doesn't have the sympathy of the reader, so I'd think that his actions would not be understandable. Jason tells Again you don't want to say Jason tells or mentions, instead you should try to imbed your quotes. Something like Euripides highlights that Jason's actions were motivated by the his desire to "live in comfort" would be better in my opinion Medea that "I was not … tired of your attractions … it was simply that I wanted above all to let us live in comfort, not be poor" . The use of the word ‘us’ when speaking to Medea about his upcoming marriage to Glauke (the princess) shows that despite his sexist nature and his insensitive actions to Medea, he still had Medea's best interest in heart, stating his marriage to Glauke as not only being beneficial to Jason and his kids but “us” Medea included in that equation, rescuing both himself and Medea from poverty and assuring their sons a place in society. I really like the deep analysis here. Medea's banishment was not  part of the plan, reminding the audience that Medea brought the punishment down on herself and her children. Medea chose revenge against Jason to be more important than protecting her own children, whilst Jason always had his children's interest at heart once again proving that the love Jason has for there children is more than the love Medea posses for them, once again forcing the audience to sympathise with the somewhat ignorant character that is Jason I feel like this isn't needed and detracts from your argument.

In the beginning of the play before Medea spirals out of control, the character in which the audience’s sympathies are extended towards is Medea, a choice which seems like an obvious one. With a prominent scene before Medea is even introduced, the Nurse explains the pitiful situation She explains how Medea and Jason once had a wonderful relationship. Speaking of Medea's current state, she says, “…she will neither eat nor drink, except her own tears, She turns her face towards the earth, remembering her father’s house and her native land, which she abandoned for the love of this man: who now despises her,” showing both how depressed she is and the ‘hate’ Jason presumably has for her. Try to avoid retelling the story. With statements like these and Medea's crying the audience is also more likely to sympathise with Medea rather than Jason in the beginning of the play because they have yet to meet the true nature of her character and see her determination for vengeance as well as only bing subjected to hearing about Jason's wrong doings from the nurse and the chorus. Something minor but this sentence is really long, making it really convoluted. Medea is once again sympathised with when she is banished from Corinth because her children will also be included in that banishment, characters which the audience can view as the only true innocents in the play. Medea’s misery continues to be  evident in her “lamentations” that “it’s death [she wants]” and that Jason’s actions “torment [her] heart”. Good imbedding of quotes. She also states that she herself that her logic has been skewed by her intense feelings of contempt for Jason and that her ‘passion is [the] master of [her] reason’. It is her fierce pride which clouds her judgement and leads her to commit filicide, as she “[would] not tolerate” being captured by her enemies and does not want to be thought of as “weak and feeble”. Good analysis here. However, it is notable that Medea has moments of clarity where she concedes that she is “well aware” of the “terrible crime” she is to commit, highlighting how even in such a drastic state of mind unlike Jason, Medea is aware of the harm she is inducing yet does not care as long as she gets her revenge on Jason, enticing sympathy to Jason and none for her. Some good analysis here

Ultimately Euripides tragic tale of Medea although does invoke feelings along the way of sympathy for both of the main characters, the titular character of Medea, the scorned wife and the ignorant Jason I don't think it's necessary to reintroduce the characters, since you've already introduced them ultimately forces the readers to pick one of the characters as the most sympathetic, Jason. After making Medea perform the heinous act of filicide one even she cannot come back from any feelings of sympathy for her come character is eradicated, proving that even one of the most ignorant characters Jason can be the most sympathy worthy character over a abandoned wife.

You should post your essays here next time. https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=406.0
Take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm in year 12 this year. Overall it's a solid essay with good analysis, but generally the biggest problem is you retell the story too much. Anyway good job and keep up the good work.  :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that blue is the stuff I think is good, red is the stuff I think needs improvement, whereas green is my comments. Also, I feel like you should have at least 3 body paragraphs for your essay.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:22:43 pm by zhen »

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1828 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:42 pm »
You should post your essays here next time. https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=406.0
Take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm in year 12 this year. Overall it's a solid essay with good analysis, but generally the biggest problem is you retell the story too much. Anyway good job and keep up the good work.  :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that blue is the stuff I think is good, red is the stuff I think needs improvement, whereas green is my comments. Also, I feel like you should have at least 3 body paragraphs for your essay.

Thank you so much Zhen! literally helped me so much! I see all the points you made and will make those changes and ill also post on there from now on lolll

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1829 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
My SAC's have been like this 83%' 76% and  65% I know I have a lot of gooddamn potential but I'm just not practising enough and also make up excuses. My teacher always reassures my that I have a lot of potential and have the capability of getting 40+ . Some one help me to achieve this with my current sac scores and give me hope. I've promised myself to try harder for my next sacs.  :'( :-\