Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:15:44 am

Author Topic: Mathematics Extension 2: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 6854 times)

• Trendsetter
Re: Mathematics Extension 2: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 11:31:39 pm »
Um.. Your Q16 was insane.

I feel really bad for you guys actually :(

I needed to hear that 😪
It was a horrible exam

Actually, horrible is an understatement :(

I’ll be over the moon if I get an e4

What do you reckon the cut off will be?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 11:35:38 pm »
I needed to hear that 😪
It was a horrible exam

Actually, horrible is an understatement :(

I’ll be over the moon if I get an e4

What do you reckon the cut off will be?
Honestly... 70 or if you're lucky even 68 or 66...?

This was mostly atrocious tbh. I heard that some of the M/C besides that one I've been able to do was also bad, and whilst Q11-Q14 seemed doable once it got to Q15 the questions just felt long. And then, well, yeah, Q16.

Like, if I had to do your paper, no way in hell would I have gotten 93 raw.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:37:10 pm by RuiAce »

• Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:21 pm »
Honestly... 70 or if you're lucky even 68 or 66...?

This was mostly atrocious tbh. I heard that some of the M/C besides that one I've been able to do was also bad, and whilst Q11-Q14 seemed doable once it got to Q15 the questions just felt long. And then, well, yeah, Q16.

Like, if I had to do your paper, no way in hell would I have gotten 93 raw.

Yes multiple choice was hard. The whole exam was hard. 11-14 was okay. It wasn’t hard but I felt like it took me some time to do.

I haven’t had a look at ur solutions because I’ve been hella scared and nervous coz I know if I look at it I’m going to be even more dissapointed in myself.

Because last year I looked at the 2u and noticed that I skipped a question which was such a burner for like a week   

You got a 93 raw in your actual Hsc??? Wowwww congrats!!!! They don’t call you the math machine for nothing.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 12:02:27 am »
Yes multiple choice was hard. The whole exam was hard. 11-14 was okay. It wasn’t hard but I felt like it took me some time to do.

I haven’t had a look at ur solutions because I’ve been hella scared and nervous coz I know if I look at it I’m going to be even more dissapointed in myself.

Because last year I looked at the 2u and noticed that I skipped a question which was such a burner for like a week   

You got a 93 raw in your actual Hsc??? Wowwww congrats!!!! They don’t call you the math machine for nothing.
Yeah that's fair aha. I totally understand trying to avoid that feeling.

Oh well, what's done is done. Focus on MX1 and other stuff now :)

(Aha thanks! Yeah, I miss those days :P)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 01:46:17 pm »
Thank you so much for the solutions, Rui! And thank you for all the questions and queries you've answered for all of us, it means more than we will ever be able to articulate :)

That being said, I hope you don't mind that I don't want to look at them right now bc I feel it would just make me feel so bad. I felt adequately prepared before it but this exam made me feel like I want to kms rip. I thought it was a really hard exam? Maybe I was the only one but it took a lot of time to do all those questions and Q15 and 16 made me wanna cry. I looked at the E4 for previous years (http://rawmarks.info/wiki/Mathematics_Extension_2 ) and saw 2010 had a raw mark of 65 (being turned into a moderated 92) do you think this year would be as low (my only chance for an E4)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 02:02:32 pm »
Thank you so much for the solutions, Rui! And thank you for all the questions and queries you've answered for all of us, it means more than we will ever be able to articulate :)

That being said, I hope you don't mind that I don't want to look at them right now bc I feel it would just make me feel so bad. I felt adequately prepared before it but this exam made me feel like I want to kms rip. I thought it was a really hard exam? Maybe I was the only one but it took a lot of time to do all those questions and Q15 and 16 made me wanna cry. I looked at the E4 for previous years (http://rawmarks.info/wiki/Mathematics_Extension_2 ) and saw 2010 had a raw mark of 65 (being turned into a moderated 92) do you think this year would be as low (my only chance for an E4)
Happy to have helped/played my part! :)

Yeah, don't blame anyone for not wanting to look at them. I feel like the paper was reasonable until it got to Q15-16 and then its difficulty escalated. I don't think the cut-offs will be as low as pre-2012, when they had no multiple choice, but I feel like 2013 might be a reasonable benchmark to consider on there.

Edit: I also have the full paper now so I'll complete the solutions

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
A bit late but might add my 2 cents here...

I think Q11 - 15 were relatively standard (well, except probability that's my Achilles heel), but Q16 and the last few MC were absolute hell. I didn't even know where to start with that triangle question... even some of my friends at North Sydney Boys found Q16 very difficult, and these are usually state rankers!! I'd be lucky to scrape 3+ for Q16...

Main issue was I lost a lot of marks through stupid mistakes :( so hopefully I can scrape a 70+.

Hoping extension 1 isn't as brutal as this
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 05:56:46 pm »
A bit late but might add my 2 cents here...

I think Q11 - 15 were relatively standard (well, except probability that's my Achilles heel), but Q16 and the last few MC were absolute hell. I didn't even know where to start with that triangle question... even some of my friends at North Sydney Boys found Q16 very difficult, and these are usually state rankers!! I'd be lucky to scrape 3+ for Q16...

Main issue was I lost a lot of marks through stupid mistakes :( so hopefully I can scrape a 70+.

Hoping extension 1 isn't as brutal as this
Yeah from what I've gathered over the past few days that's the general consensus. Paper was manageable, but then it got to Q16 and that was miles beyond the usual type of question. Alignment will somehow factor that in.

Good luck for tomorrow :)

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »
Yeah from what I've gathered over the past few days that's the general consensus. Paper was manageable, but then it got to Q16 and that was miles beyond the usual type of question. Alignment will somehow factor that in.

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Thanks Rui!! And for all your help as well answering questions!
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW