Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:48:42 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Extension 2: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 6855 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:35:00 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

mxrylyn

• Forum Regular
Re: Mathematics Extension 2: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:02:23 pm »
Hello darkness my old friend

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 05:04:08 pm »
So, what was it like this year

chillycharles

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:11:05 pm »
boy oh boy was that difficult
HSC 2018

4 Unit Maths l Advanced English l Chemistry l Physics l Biology

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
rip my math mark,
rip my atar,
rip my life from being disowned by parents  :'(

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:14:01 pm »
I'm hearing so much tilt. What did they do to you guys this year O.o

Caleb Campion

• Forum Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:11 pm »
I'm hearing so much tilt. What did they do to you guys this year O.o

Okay, a lot of it wasn't too bad, but there were just so many weird questions!! :( I'm hoping to get in the 70s, that would be awesome. There was one that was just a big triangle and a parallel line above, inside each of the sides, and you had to show that these two certain lines were equal. For 3 marks! Its like circle geometry but no circles and none of the techniques.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 06:36:27 pm »
Okay, a lot of it wasn't too bad, but there were just so many weird questions!! :( I'm hoping to get in the 70s, that would be awesome. There was one that was just a big triangle and a parallel line above, inside each of the sides, and you had to show that these two certain lines were equal. For 3 marks! Its like circle geometry but no circles and none of the techniques.
They gave an actual geometry-but-not-circle-geometry question in there? O.o Weird indeed.

Hopefully you do and it rounds up to an E4 ;)

envisagator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »
did anyone get 32pi/105 for cylindrical shells q, apparently it was 64pi/105??

EDIT: dw i just realised wat i did wrong, i didnt multiply 2 by the radius (2y) hence i got half the answer rip.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:44:12 pm by envisagator »
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »

EDIT: dw i just realised wat i did wrong, i didnt multiply 2 by the radius (2y) hence i got half the answer rip.
Oooft. Tbh at times like these when I discover my silly mistakes I think it's time to think about happier thoughts aha

phunky

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 06:51:37 pm »

aghh I got 32pi/105 too!! Sighhh just hoping that other people found the paper as hard as I did :(

swordkillz

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:19 pm »
What was the answer to the 6th root of unity in MCQ?
HSC 2017: Mathematics - 97
HSC 2018: English Adv | Chemistry | Physics | Maths 3U | Maths 4U

chillycharles

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:35:24 pm »
What was the answer to the 6th root of unity in MCQ?

I got a, first one i subbed into my calculator and it checked out.
HSC 2018

4 Unit Maths l Advanced English l Chemistry l Physics l Biology

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »
Solutions

Multiple choice
1 - B
2 - C
3 - D
4 - C
5 - A
6 - A
7 - D
8 - B
9 - B
10 - C
Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Q5

Q6

Q7

Q8

Q9

Q10
Note - Newton's method doesn't work if you use \( \pm \frac\pi2 \) - it converges to the wrong root! That's part of why that solution is sketchy.

Question 11
Part a)

Part b)

Part c)

Part d)

Part e)

Question 12
Part a)

Part b)

Part c)

Part d)

Question 13
Part a)

Part b)

Part c)

Part d)

Question 14
Part a)

Part b)

Part c)

Part d)

Question 15
Part a)

Note that in part ii), it's essentially a course assumption that both \(a\) and \(b\) are positive, justifying why the absolute values could also be removed in the numerator.

Part b)

Part c)

Question 16
Part a)

Part b)
There's two things I wanna say about this question.
1) It's INCREDIBLY easy to get lost in the diagram. When dealing with too many triangles all in the one go, try to not look at the diagram in its entirety. Instead, either use highlighters, or focus on two or three triangles at a time. Also, see if there's anything hidden that's obvious. I totally forgot about the parallel lines, so it took me ages to realise there were parallelograms I could use.
2) With the second part, that bit of backtracking wasn't immediately obvious either. The intuition behind the problem was that the ratio \( \frac{1}{\sqrt2} \) actually was appearing everywhere. It's just that we had to use similar triangles to establish that.
But once we've established that, we can try to say "oh, this length is \(\sqrt2\) times that length" over and over, until we get something nice.

Part c)

Commentary
Okay, so having done the entire paper, this is what I think. I feel like Q11-Q14 was very fair. Quite lenient marks available in Q11-12, and Q13-Q14 just required a bit more work than the usual. Although, Q13 d) was definitely an interesting one because I don't think it was that easy to relate i) and ii) together. Maybe some students will have immediately realised the relationship (i.e. the tangent being a chord of the hyperbola), but the line was now 'below' the origin so the analysis is tweaked. That, and also realising the link that consequently \(M\) is also the midpoint of the two intercepts is hard to see.

But then, Q14 didn't look so bad. The reduction formula had weird boundaries, but everything was still reasonably straightforward.

Q15 can be received with mixed reviews honestly. Who knows how many students still remember how the auxiliary circle works with conics for i) even though it was an easy part. And whilst it's no stranger, it's been ages since I've seen the angle between two lines in an MX2 paper for part ii). Also quite cheeky because that formula isn't explicitly on the reference sheet. Q15 b) was just long, but the length of the paper wasn't as bad as last year (2017). Whereas in c), ii) was the more interesting one. Basically, it's alright for people who recognise the need to use cases, and a struggle for others.

And then, well, Q16 was a monster. The induction isn't hard, but even 4U students could struggle with the index law manipulations required. b) was a migraine, and c) was definitely not your usual polynomials question. I genuinely wondered if I had opened a CSSA paper by accident when I got there. That was one of the most brutal Q16's I had ever seen.

Lastly, the M/C. Easy first six questions, weird last four questions. Q7 took me by surprise since I haven't seen \( \arg \frac{z-z_1}{z-z_2} \) problems for ages (if at all since 2001?). Q8 was a 2U type question but without a doubt weirder, but Q9 and Q10 were definitely unusual.

When you balance out that the paper seemed quite polarising with its questions; a handful being mild/easy and a specific bunch being insane, it's so hard to say what will happen. The 2013 paper may be a good benchmark for the difficulty, but that one started getting weird as early as Q14 (although I think they had a slightly better Q16). I'm not sure if it was as bad as 2001-2004, but I definitely felt it was harder than 2014-2017.

So the E4 cutoffs... potentially somewhere in the high 60s?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:19:46 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:11:20 pm »
Um.. Your Q16 was insane.

I feel really bad for you guys actually :(