Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:56 pm

Author Topic: HSC Maths Extension 2 - 25/10/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 10230 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Alright sorry guys but my brain is fried haha, I'll resume this later :)

jenjennie

• Adventurer
Hi! Am I allowed to ask for an estimate here?
I found the paper and solutions online and marked myself haha. Around 67-70 (if they’re SUPER nice). I’m counting on them giving me one pity mark for each conics question and most of the marks for the 2nd part of the projectile question, didn’t actually get answers but had a lot of working out and I like to think I made it... somewhere? There was also the motion question where I did everything but sub w = g/k in.... incredibly stupid, all I had to do was sub in and cancel out but I didn’t and I just jumped straight to the answer after the formula and putting in the velocity. Really hoping they only take one mark away but who knows.

Anyhow, Was wondering where that would land me - I know it is defs not an E4 but I want a high E3, preferably 88 or 89. Thoughts? I go to a top tier selective school though yikes and I’m certainly not doing very well. I just don’t know if that’ll impact things (only reason why I’m mentioning lol, it’s very shameful)

Thanks!

worldno1

• Trailblazer
I found the paper and solutions online and marked myself haha. Around 67-70 (if they’re SUPER nice). I’m counting on them giving me one pity mark for each conics question and most of the marks for the 2nd part of the projectile question, didn’t actually get answers but had a lot of working out and I like to think I made it... somewhere? There was also the motion question where I did everything but sub w = g/k in.... incredibly stupid, all I had to do was sub in and cancel out but I didn’t and I just jumped straight to the answer after the formula and putting in the velocity. Really hoping they only take one mark away but who knows.

Anyhow, Was wondering where that would land me - I know it is defs not an E4 but I want a high E3, preferably 88 or 89. Thoughts? I go to a top tier selective school though yikes and I’m certainly not doing very well. I just don’t know if that’ll impact things (only reason why I’m mentioning lol, it’s very shameful)

Thanks!
I'd think high 60s will align to a 89-90. You can check some raw marks for X2 here: https://rawmarks.info/

Also don't be ashamed!! You tried your best and that's all that matters. Focus on your other exams now! :)

Alright sorry guys but my brain is fried haha, I'll resume this later :)
Me while memorising bio.....

Also, I forgot to use the back page of an extra writing booklet and continued the next part of the question in a fresh writing booklet. That should be fine, right? I labelled everything correctly but didn't write PTO or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:21:25 pm by worldno1 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator

Thanks!
I'd say your chances of a high E3 would be pretty big with those marks. :)

I'd think high 60s will align to a 89-90. You can check some raw marks for X2 here: https://rawmarks.info/

Also don't be ashamed!! You tried your best and that's all that matters. Focus on your other exams now! :)

Also, I forgot to use the back page of an extra writing booklet and continued the next part of the question in a fresh writing booklet. That should be fine, right? I labelled everything correctly but didn't write PTO or whatever.
Should be fine. They'll take a look at every page :)

Conics question is up

jenjennie

• Adventurer

Thank you and to Rui too! (Sorry lol newbie idk how to double quote).
I've tried the website but the cut-off seems to be so diff each year HAHA - from like 75 to 70-ish the range depending on how the state does. And it's hard to tell what the general consensus is (hard or easy). So ig I'm just asking for the sake of it ;D

Good luck for your next exam! x

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
Hopefully you can read my handwriting/through the potato camera :)

As always, click to expand the pictures if need be :)

Question 11

Question 12

Question 14

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

worldno1

• Trailblazer
Hopefully you can read my handwriting/through the potato camera :)

As always, click to expand the pictures if need be :)

Question 11

Question 12

Question 14

rip i didn't have a stationary point at (0,-1) in q12 reciprocal graph...

they'll probably dock a mark for that, right?

goodbye 94 raw....(ok i need to get back to bio, heck)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:25:59 am by worldno1 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
rip i didn't have a stationary point at (0,-1) in q12 reciprocal graph...

they'll probably dock a mark for that, right?

goodbye 94 raw....(ok i need to get back to bio, heck)
It's possible :(

They do typically assume that you understand how stationary points are related between \( f(x)\) and \( \frac1{f(x)}\).

worldno1

• Trailblazer
It's possible :(

They do typically assume that you understand how stationary points are related between \( f(x)\) and \( \frac1{f(x)}\).

btw in q13 projectile, i thought u were meant to use degrees, not radians?

also what does 92-93 align to?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
btw in q13 projectile, i thought u were meant to use degrees, not radians?
The original question itself gave \( \frac\pi3\) for the first projectile. So I thought it'd make more sense to stick with that. (Seeing as though the question didn't specify to go back to degrees, that is.)

I'd hope they wouldn't penalise that though, since they weren't fully transparent here (especially given that degrees are more common in this context).

92-93 would probably be at least 96. Likely 97.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:33:08 am by RuiAce »

worldno1

• Trailblazer
The original question itself gave \( \frac\pi3\) for the first projectile. So I thought it'd make more sense to stick with that. (Seeing as though the question didn't specify to go back to degrees, that is.)

I'd hope they wouldn't penalise that though, since they weren't fully transparent here (especially given that degrees are more common in this context).

92-93 would probably be at least 96. Likely 97.
Oh dammit. I didn't notice that, too used to the physics style of using degrees. Hopefully they allow leeway...

Ollierobb1

• Adventurer
Hey guys! Do you know where I’d find a copy of the exam? I’ve had a quick look around and couldn’t find it, how long does NESA usually take to put them up?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
Hey guys! Do you know where I’d find a copy of the exam? I’ve had a quick look around and couldn’t find it, how long does NESA usually take to put them up?
They've been really quick with this lately. Never seen any exam take more than 5 business days to go up.

blahblah104

• Fresh Poster
Is around 75 always going to be E4

jenjennie

• Adventurer

I have the exam :)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18LHCmjDr2ojjXvDyz1KanAsF7_qQrhwL/view?fbclid=IwAR2qk-ZRJfnX20UfjZSNP0gABOf1_mKJEJHSvA4Ois5yChAswx9U0wlIh1Q