Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 08:51:36 pm

Author Topic: 2018 Trial Practice Paper sample solution discussion  (Read 5672 times)  Share 

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
2018 Trial Practice Paper sample solution discussion
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:14:28 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

This is a place for you to discuss to fellow peers and us about your own answers to the trial paper. Or if you have any queries, feel free to ask them here.

I hope it's been valuable to your own understanding!
Thankyou! :)

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: 2018 Trial Practice Paper sample solution discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
i'm not sure about 3. b). From what i understand about quality assurance it is the processes in place to ensure that the customer's needs are met in an elegant and efficient manner. So i guess the answer makes sense as the user doesn't really care about how it is maintained, they just care about it meeting their own needs.
Answers state that Flexibility is not in QA, however, both textbooks have it under 'Quality Assurance'
flexibility—the ability to cope with all the situations found during processing (From fowler book )
and
flexibility: Can it be modified? (From davis book)
and neither textbook has 'accuracy'. But obviously if I were the customer I would definitely care my software is accurate.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:22:25 pm by jasn9776 »
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:25:23 pm »
I don't know what textbook you're looking at, but the Samuel Davis textbook does mention accuracy.
On Page 145 it says under Quality Assurance
Efficiency
Integrity
Reliability
Usability
Accuracy
Maintainability
Testability
Re-Usability
Perhaps your using an outdated version??

wewanttacos

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:07:06 pm »
In question 27c, are you able to do string slicing, like in python, in your algorithms?

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:03 am »
I don't know what textbook you're looking at, but the Samuel Davis textbook does mention accuracy.
On Page 145 it says under Quality Assurance
Efficiency
Integrity
Reliability
Usability
Accuracy
Maintainability
Testability
Re-Usability
Perhaps your using an outdated version??
Under page 305 in testing there is another list of QA factors for QA in testing which includes flexibility since quality testing ensures that it can be modified at a later date.
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 02:40:35 pm »
Under page 305 in testing there is another list of QA factors for QA in testing which includes flexibility since quality testing ensures that it can be modified at a later date.
I think officially flexibility gets included under maintainability, as on page 145 the description for flexibility is put under maintainability, and Maintainability is technically how well it can be modified
Accuracy is just Correctness.

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:00:24 am »
In question 27c, are you able to do string slicing, like in python, in your algorithms?
They way I was told, you should never do anything specific to python in your pseudocode UNLESS it's something fundamental that's commonly seen in algorithms like accessing item in an array via its index.
For example, in python you can say:
For item in itemArray
   print item
but pseudocode will be different, its normally convention to do
FOR i =1 to i = itemArray length STEP 1
   Display itemArray(i)
NEXT i

So essentially no, whilst i can see the appeal since im so lazy myself, they want you to not be lazy xD

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:05:24 am »
They way I was told, you should never do anything specific to python in your pseudocode UNLESS it's something fundamental that's commonly seen in algorithms like accessing item in an array via its index.
For example, in python you can say:
For item in itemArray
   print item
but pseudocode will be different, its normally convention to do
FOR i =1 to i = itemArray length STEP 1
   Display itemArray(i)
NEXT i

So essentially no, whilst i can see the appeal since im so lazy myself, they want you to not be lazy xD

^ Pretty much! Strings in pseudo code can be treated like arrays, where each element of the array is the next character. So if you wanted a subset of a string, you’d have to iterate through the string and write the subset of the string into another string variable/array
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 10:10:59 am »
+1
Actually, I'm just reading through the course specs as light revision before the exam and I found that they did a very wierd version of string slicing

"Extracting data from a string
Most languages offer the facility of extracting data from strings. Depending on the language used,
the verbs can differ. Examples of typical verbs are mid$ or instr$
In the algorithms that follow, a general statement is used:
extract from the ith character (for n characters) from String into ExtractedString.
To extract the days and months from a date in the format DD/MM/YY the following algorithm is
relevant:
Note: We need to pull out the first 2 characters and place them in Days, and the 4th and 5th
characters and place them into Month.

BEGIN FindDaysandMonths
    Get DateString
    Let StartDays = 1
    Let StartMonths = 4
    ‘the fourth character in the date string is the start of the month value
    Extract from the StartDaysth character (for 2 characters) from DateString into Days
    Extract from the StartMonthsth character (for 2 characters) from DateString into Month

Display“the month is ” Month “ and the day of the month is ” Days
END FindDaysandMonths "