Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:48:32 pm

Author Topic: English study method  (Read 770 times)

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
English study method
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
I have tables for my each of topics and texts. I'm memorising quotes and it's analysis, as well as techniques and their analysis, all organised under a theme. I generally have about 5 themes for each. At the moment I'm doing timed responses open book because I'm not confident I know enough to not do it without it just yet. However, it's helping me memorise because I'm not looking at it all the time. I think practicing under timed conditions and developing arguments is the most beneficial way of studying for english.

Am I doing this right?? I doubt myself all the time and I'm not sure if this is a good way of studying/memorising for english!
2018 HSC

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: English study method
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:06:39 pm »
+1
I have tables for my each of topics and texts. I'm memorising quotes and it's analysis, as well as techniques and their analysis, all organised under a theme. I generally have about 5 themes for each. At the moment I'm doing timed responses open book because I'm not confident I know enough to not do it without it just yet. However, it's helping me memorise because I'm not looking at it all the time. I think practising under timed conditions and developing arguments is the most beneficial way of studying for English.

Am I doing this right?? I doubt myself all the time and I'm not sure if this is a good way of studying/memorising for English!
Honestly, this sounds great! Good dedication. More than I'm doing atm HAHAHA
If you find it useful, then keep doing it!
Everyone has a different way of studying that works for them and if you've found what works for you then just keep doing it!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
Re: English study method
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:00:54 pm »
+2
I have tables for my each of topics and texts. I'm memorising quotes and it's analysis, as well as techniques and their analysis, all organised under a theme. I generally have about 5 themes for each. At the moment I'm doing timed responses open book because I'm not confident I know enough to not do it without it just yet. However, it's helping me memorise because I'm not looking at it all the time. I think practicing under timed conditions and developing arguments is the most beneficial way of studying for english.

Am I doing this right?? I doubt myself all the time and I'm not sure if this is a good way of studying/memorising for english!

I also basically did this for my trials(my school does them early) and the next step for you it seems is finding or writing more essay questions and transitioning to doing timed responses closed book, giving yourself maybe 10% less time than exam conditions so you're comfortable writing within the time limit on the day. 100% agree on this method being super good for memorising quotes and analysis as between each practice essay you do, the only common content is the quotes+analysis but in a different form, so you're killing two birds with one stone by practising adapting to questions while memorising. You might want to try changing up where you study as well, just so your memory doesn't fail you by associating your memorised analysis with the one study location.
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05