Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:37:15 pm

Author Topic: WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO  (Read 5790 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 04:36:48 pm »
+4
Would you prefer to teach in a selective, private, religious or public school and why?

Highlight of learning physics at uni so far?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »
+3

As with teachers, just be polite and keep asking them questions, they are your biggest resource, and if they are dodgy, you have a head of the science teacher :) (by the way, got any pictures of your design? love to see it!)

Here's a picture of my induction motor

I have a short video of the aluminium base moving (though it's kinda dodgy because holding a stick mixer in one hand is really scary lmao)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:27 pm »
+5
thoughts on STEM education
This is a very interesting question to me because I wouldn't want to teach anything other than STEM subjects. Teaching English and marking English styled exams seems awful to me. However, we still struggle to have teachers in STEM. I think this is a huge problem and was actually discussed in my EDST classes, there is a massive decline in academic ability and interest in STEM subject, especially in rural Australia, promoting the gap of inequality. I hear that the minister of education has announced plans to help fix this, so let's hope it works :)). I'm curious though because it wasn't really something I'd thought of until a few months ago, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your question!!

I think it's very concerning that disadvantaged groups such as low SES students show less interest in STEM subjects. Given that highschool is a critical time for students selecting careers,  future studies etc., STEM teachers have a critical role in this; I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bidirectional relationship between having good STEM teachers and reversing the aforementioned trend.

At my school we had teachers from the Teach for Australia program and I think that that is a good step in the right direction.

On the other hand, I suspect that the people-person vs nerd stereotype doesn't help.

(Sidenote: I'm not studying teaching but I definetely want education to be part of my science career)

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 04:58:58 pm »
+5
Would you prefer to teach in a selective, private, religious or public school and why?

This is super tough to know currently, I am currently applying for a scholarship that guarantees 3 years in a public school if I were to succeed, so potentially that. I'd probably feel most comfortable teaching at a private school though, (religious or not, doesn't really bother me) because I did go to a private school, so I feel like I'd think I knew what to do better. Whereas for a public school, I have no clue what happens in them, and it does kinda scare me looking into the darkness.

But when we are put into work placement, I'm pretty sure we get two schools, a private one and a public one, and maybe from that, I'll get a definite answer. :))

Highlight of learning physics at uni so far?

Ooooooooh!!! That's so difficult!! It would be either:

- When our lecturer demonstrated momentum by bouncing to balls ontop of each other, just to have to ball fly into his face.
- The demonstrations in general, there was one where she placed hollow metal tubes on a fire, and the convection currents make a constant sound (so baffling!!)
- Meeting the most awesome people in them, I've never smiled so much in physics lessons, you really do truly meet some amazing people.
- Doing our own physics lab demonstrations, my favourite having to be compressing gas and seeing heat change and work ratios.
- Our own "private" study room where no one goes to, so a very quite and nice place to study.
- The online lectures that explained each concept again (and had a lot of work put into them (no pun intended))

Okay, I could just go on forever, and I didn't really have a favourite. I'm really gonna miss that course, and hope the future physics courses are just this amazing

Thanks for the questions!!
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »
+8
thoughts on STEM education
I think it's very concerning that disadvantaged groups such as low SES students show less interest in STEM subjects. Given that highschool is a critical time for students selecting careers,  future studies etc., STEM teachers have a critical role in this; I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bidirectional relationship between having good STEM teachers and reversing the aforementioned trend.

At my school we had teachers from the Teach for Australia program and I think that that is a good step in the right direction.

On the other hand, I suspect that the people-person vs nerd stereotype doesn't help.

(Sidenote: I'm not studying teaching but I definetely want education to be part of my science career)

Thanks for replying! I'm pretty sure the program is similar to that actually! Mine is TeachNSW but yeah, These scholarships are a step in the right direction. Totally agree :))

Here's a picture of my induction motor

I have a short video of the aluminium base moving (though it's kinda dodgy because holding a stick mixer in one hand is really scary lmao)

That was totally awesome!!!!! (insert turtle face) Thanks for sharing! I love seeing people's physics projects! :))

Well that is time! Thank you so much for asking questions! <3 Feel free to PM me with any other questions, or even if you wanna chat! I love chatting with people on here ^_^

Q&A CLOSED
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!