Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 06:09:02 pm

Author Topic: WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO  (Read 5791 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:49:10 am »
+10
THIS THREAD WILL BE UNLOCKED WHEN THE Q+A STARTS

WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO
SATURDAY 14TH: 2PM-5PM

A LITTLE ABOUT BLASONDUO

Hello!! I’m blasonduo, and I’m currently undertaking a bachelor of science majoring in physics and a bachelor of education at UNSW :)). I have this strange love for physics; I love to enjoy learning physics and talking about physics. I hope I am able to introduce others into this world of wonder and amazement :)

During the HSC last year, I did all 3 major sciences, Physics, Biology and Chemistry, did fairly well in them and thoroughly enjoyed the content. People thought that this was insane :))

My favourite colour is pasture green; my favourite animal is the Tasmanian devil, I enjoy amusement park rides, I am a family of 8, quite enjoy nightly train rides and have had my L’s for almost 3 years now :P.

The great thing here is that you can ask me anything, absolutely anything!! Wanna know how I went about doing the 3 major sciences? Sure! Wanna know my thoughts on altering grass,so it is now blue? Sure! I just can’t guarantee an answer!

However, this is a question for you; I’d love to hear from you!

Question

HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?

1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of this page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:53:22 am by jamonwindeyer »

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
Re: WEEKEND Q+A #6: BLASONDUO
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:00:48 pm »
+11
This thread is now CLOSED

Feel free to PM me about anything :))

Thanks for coming :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 05:09:11 pm by blasonduo »
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 02:02:02 pm »
+7
What's the best part about your Ed degree so far?

(teacher curiosity)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »
+9
What impact if any do you think your high school experiences had on how you perceive/treat your education degree?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 02:05:18 pm »
+8
Seeing that we've both found the education part of our degree insanely boring what are you most looking forward to?
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:16:19 pm »
+7
1. What are three of your favourite foods?
2. Does the little dude in your avatar resemble you IRL, pixelation and all?
3. As someone from a family of 8, do you prefer working by yourself of in a group?
4. Have you ever eaten an oyster? If so, what was it like? If not, what do you imagine it to be like?
5. What are your thoughts on this quote: "Melbourne is Australia's undisputed cool kid"?
6. As someone who loves physics, how do you feel about the other school-offered sciences? e.g. Biology, Chemistry, 'Psychology', etc.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:35:14 pm »
+12
What's the best part about your Ed degree so far?

(teacher curiosity)

Ooh!

I might have to say everyone else in the degree, I love hearing their reasoning and passion towards teaching, and it really empowers me to keep looking forward to the future. It's really amazing how just loving and caring people are towards each other in the course, something I don't see nearly as much in my science degree, as there are always those people who think they are better than everyone else.

Thanks for the question!

What impact if any do you think your high school experiences had on how you perceive/treat your education degree?

We all have a teacher that was just amazing at teaching, and that teacher... that well, they just couldn't. I think that this has shaped the way that I look at an education degree, It is necessary to teach, but it doesn't mean it makes you good. I (well currently at least) see my degree as just a foundation towards a successful and engaging teacher, and that I need to put that extra mile in myself to make sure that I can be the best that I physically can be. Even from the theoretical aspect of this degree, I now look back at what strategies my teachers used, and can now see why (because when you are a student, you think it's just unfair or stupid :P).

Another thing I've always worried about is the fact I was in the same school my whole life (K-12), so I think that this may make me think that this job will be more comfortable than it actually is. I understand that it'll be difficult, especially for the first few years, but I worry that practically, I will face challenges that never occurred in my school, and it's always a different experience to what it is like theoretically (this wasn't really part of the "degree" part, but I thought this was important :) )

Thanks for the question!

Seeing that we've both found the education part of our degree insanely boring what are you most looking forward to?

As for the courses, it hasn't really focussed much on the practical aspects, it only really starts in 2nd year, and I've been told that's when the best parts of the degree begin, so I'm really looking forward to that! :)) . It's a double-edged sword, however, on one side, I'm super excited to get into placement next year, but terrified of it too, its a new experience that I can learn great skills in, but it will be stressful.

As weird as it sounds, I'm really looking forward to the paperwork, side of teaching too, such as producing day planners and how to mark properly and reasonably assessments (the AITSL board briefly goes over this, but I reckon that'll be really enjoyable for me).

Thanks for the question :)

Kicking myself into gear

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »
+10
If you could only learn about one thing in physics for the rest of your life what would you pick?

Edit: Also uhhhh hmmmm well... Regarding the two balls that you've lifted, they're still not one single object the way I see it. (Basically, at the minuscule level, there's still some displacement in between the surfaces of the two balls.) So surely the second ball will hit the third ball moments before the first ball hits the second ball, and thus the energy transfer doesn't all happen at the same point in time...?

Edit #2: Well, actually, in the extreme case let's suppose that the balls could be treated as a single object. Then, the second ball hits the third ball at the same instant the first ball hits the second. Which means that energy is being transferred into both the second and third ball at the same point in time. Then, this will happen for the third/fourth as well. But once energy gets transferred into the fifth ball, it's set to fly off because there's nothing to impede it anymore. Now the fifth ball gets the energy from the fourth ball, and at the same time the fourth ball gets energy from the third ball. Because they're both flying off, with same initial velocity (assuming kinetic energy in first/second balls is the same are the same at point of impact, and further no kinetic energy loss), the fourth ball can never theoretically chase up to the fifth ball and transfer even more energy over. (Equivalently, they fly off with the same velocity.) Thus, they must keep flying together anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:51:54 pm by RuiAce »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:46:28 pm »
+7
1) If you were given a one-way ticket to anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

2) What's the weirdest thing that you have ever bought from a shop?
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »
+6
What's the craziest thing you've done in your life?

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 02:58:37 pm »
+8
1. What are three of your favourite foods?

I'm assuming these can't be meals and more as a single ingredient. sooo...
1) Pineapple - just so juicy and refreshing and delicious (rockmelon is a close contender too)
2) Peanut butter - It just goes so well with (almost) every spread! Before this Q&A, I was eating a peanut butter, honey, lettuce and banana sandwich, and BOY is it good!
3) Carrots - Its just the one I love studying and eating, I used to have junk, but it just made me drowsy and lazy, carrots have really saved the day (and my grades haha) delicious and energising!

2. Does the little dude in your avatar resemble you IRL, pixelation and all?

Do I have brown hair? Yep! Do I have a red cape? I did... somewhere!
But, no, it's not based off me at all! Its just the main character of my favourite genre (?) of games! :))

3. As someone from a family of 8, do you prefer working by yourself of in a group?

At home, I normally keep to myself, but that's mainly because of work I have to do, that only requires myself. I do help my younger siblings with their work, and I find that quite enjoyable. I also work in an environment where I need to work as a group, as we discuss appropiate matters. However, when it comes to a definite answer, it really depends on the person, if they are easily to talk with and really friendly, then of course I'd love to work as a group. In uni though, the reason why group projects suck is because not everyone is like that.

4. Have you ever eaten an oyster? If so, what was it like? If not, what do you imagine it to be like?

Interesting question! I like it! :))
I have never eaten an oyster! I'm not really a huge fan of seafood (and tbh, its probably the only food I'm picky on). I imagine it to be like a raw egg in its texture, very slimy, but has a whole squishy thing in the middle of it. Taste wise? maybe like off prawns?

5. What are your thoughts on this quote: "Melbourne is Australia's undisputed cool kid"?

We all know that no one likes the cool kids, and is probably why its ranked 17, and not 10, like Sydney :)

6. As someone who loves physics, how do you feel about the other school-offered sciences? e.g. Biology, Chemistry, 'Psychology', etc.

I loved biology so much as well (hence why it will be my minor in uni haha) and chemistry as a concept really cool too! Sadly, I can't comment on psychology as I don't know what's taught. My premise in school was that if the course made you go "wtf thats so cool, I wanna know why that happens" it was a bloody great course (and hence why physics has always topped my list).

Thanks for the questions! :))

Kicking myself into gear

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:05:16 pm »
+6
What are your thoughts on the STEM teacher shortage?

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
+10
If you could only learn about one thing in physics for the rest of your life what would you pick?

-snipped edits :P -

This is actually an interesting question I don't think I could answer quite yet. I feel like I've only scraped the surface of the rabbit hole of physics. I'd love to say the very bottom of it, but I honestly do not know what that is yet. From what I know now, I'd love to have an in-depth look into quantum computers; they just blow my mind.

With my question, you have done well :)

Thanks for the question roo!

1) If you were given a one-way ticket to anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

2) What's the weirdest thing that you have ever bought from a shop?

1) Africa. I love their wildlife and would love to see them before they vanish, that aspect of Africa is just so beautiful. Also, Africa because I'd actually love to teach there, it probably wouldn't be physics, but schooling is super crucial there, and I'd love to have an impact on that. Africa would also challenge myself with what I am comfortable with, and I do like pushing myself :))

2) hahaha! I don't shop often, but I must say an atomic clock! (These things are super cool also!)

Thank you for the questions!!

What's the craziest thing you've done in your life?

It must be climbing the fisherman's ladders in Sydney (see my FB profile picture :P). The chains are super rusted and you have to climb (forgot how high) but really high! There were no instructors, most thrilling thing I've done too!

Thanks for the question!

Kicking myself into gear

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »
+6
Can you be my physics teacher ;)

Considering how you enjoy physics, do you have a favourite branch in physics? (Optics? Quantum physics? Thermodynamics etc.)
Tips on surviving HSC physics? (and dealing with a dodgy physics teacher that deducted 2 marks from my model... will forever be salty over that)
Are there any similarities and differences between HSC physics and uni physics?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

blasonduo

• HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
+8
What are your thoughts on the STEM teacher shortage?

This is a very interesting question to me because I wouldn't want to teach anything other than STEM subjects. Teaching English and marking English styled exams seems awful to me. However, we still struggle to have teachers in STEM. I think this is a huge problem and was actually discussed in my EDST classes, there is a massive decline in academic ability and interest in STEM subject, especially in rural Australia, promoting the gap of inequality. I hear that the minister of education has announced plans to help fix this, so let's hope it works :)). I'm curious though because it wasn't really something I'd thought of until a few months ago, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for your question!!

Can you be my physics teacher ;)

Considering how you enjoy physics, do you have a favourite branch in physics? (Optics? Quantum physics? Thermodynamics etc.)

Ahaha! I don't think I'd be good at all in my current state, I still need to work on things such as more clear speaking, and well class engagement and effectiveness, I do have some really amazing (in my opinion at least) ideas to help this such as online videos and weekend live streams(?) and personally made exam papers, reviews we'll see how I go, I really do want to be that dream teacher :))

As for my favourite branch, I really did enjoy thermodynamics in the last semesters course, and quantum is just mind-boggling. However, I don't think I've delved too much into all of physics to have a definite favourite, it's all just soo goooood In HSC though, my order of favourite (or just wtf this is amazing would be) Motors and generators, Ideas to implementation, Medical, space. But again, this doesn't mean I didn't like the space topic because I did!!

Tips on surviving HSC physics? (and dealing with a dodgy physics teacher that deducted two marks from my model... will forever be salty over that)
Are there any similarities and differences between HSC physics and uni physics?

The big priority is concepts, without understanding the concepts, physics will be extremely difficult. Not many of my class really understood how time dilation worked, so when asked about this in an exam, they couldn't apply their knowledge to the question. The next big thing has been the good old saying "To learn physics, you must DO physics" and this means questions, just keep doing questions. My personal motto for physics was always "assume every question a trick question" Although not true, it makes you think, should it be this easy? Always go through the question twice. Just that sort of thing :)

As with teachers, just be polite and keep asking them questions, they are your biggest resource, and if they are dodgy, you have a head of the science teacher :) (by the way, got any pictures of your design? love to see it!)

Similarities:

- Just amazing
- Concepts are just as important
- You get to do practicals
- Awesome demonstrations :))

Differences:

- uni is about 95% math based questions; you can get the 5 mark questions about the impact on society and throw it in the trash!
- uni is heaps more intense; I found HSC physics relativity easy to keep up with, in uni, falling behind is your worst enemy.
- uni makes you more independent on the experiments, you more have to work it out yourself.

Thanks for your questions!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:08:19 pm by blasonduo »

Kicking myself into gear