Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 03:34:38 pm

Author Topic: WEEKEND Q+A #5: CALEBARK  (Read 7490 times)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: WEEKEND Q+A #5: CALEBARK
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 06:53:42 pm »
+7
Remember your humble roots as a state mod and spare us, because I'm not going to keep quiet about the fact that tortoises >> turtles

What's an most unexpected thing about living independently?

What motivated you to join atarnotes?
viva la state mod revolution

I think the most unexpected thing was that for the first few days, everything is a murderer in disguise. Whenever I had a cat make noises on my roof or the wind would blow against my window, I'd start thinking 'shit, someone is trying to break in', which is very unlikely (although it has actually happened before, but it typically does not). I used to sleep with an extremely blunt pocket knife (that would do nothing against an intruder) next to my bed. I think something bigger that is a bit unexpected is you start really learning about consequences. If you don't cook, you don't eat. If you put off cleaning, congrats, your house is a pigsty. If you're late on rent or bills, you're in trouble. Everything you do has a bigger effect now, because you're in charge now -- you don't have your parents as a fallback.

The very first lecture series. My best friend saw someone mention these free VCE lectures on Facebook, so she immediately signed us both up for the English lecture. Literally Lauren was our lecturer. At the start of the lecture, she had people shout out random objects. At the end of the lecture, she used all these objects as symbolism in a paragraph. I don't remember all of them, just that the end bit was 'like the tassels on a Persian rug'. I loved the lectures, so I stalked the forums until I decided to make an account. I wasn't really active until early 2017 where Insanipi (who I went to school with) introduced me to a bunch of ANers in a Facebook group chat. I got along really well with some of them, so the community there motivated me to start getting involved with the actual forum.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 07:03:27 pm »
How did you come up with the name calebark?

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:44 pm »
+6
How did you come up with the name calebark?

Calebark

Caleb was taken, so I had to add something else to it. Dogs are my favourite animal (not tortoises, sorry :( ), so why not add 'bark' to it?

Edit: Unfortunately, I have an appointment soon so I’ll be having to leave the Q&A a bit early. I’ll leave the Q&A open over the weekend, however, and will be sure to answer any remaining questions! 😊
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:28:55 pm by Calebark »

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:30:05 pm »
If you had to pick between pizza, noodles, ice cream or spaghetti, what would you pick?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 02:39:12 am »
If you had to hide a large bulky object from and intimate individual, where would you hide it?
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 11:49:12 am »
+3
I was at work last night, so I had time to stockpile my questions. You asked for this, Kale! ;D

1. If you could only put 3 ingredients in a taco, what would they be? Justify your answer with great seriousness.
2. On average, how many hours a day do you listen to music?
3. Have you ever belonged to a cult?
4. What is your intellectual stance on the word 'yeet'?
5. Are you reading any books right now you'd like to share an opinion of?
6. What is your favourite food recipe of all time?
7. Do you believe in the Mothman? Bigfoot? Chupacabra? Why/why not?
8. What's a strange quirk you pride yourself on having?
9. Is it true you really know JFK's descendant?

Thank you, thank you.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »
+5
If you had to pick between pizza, noodles, ice cream or spaghetti, what would you pick?

I am 20 years old, the answer must be pizza

If you had to hide a large bulky object from and intimate individual, where would you hide it?

The 2nd page of Google. If that's not allowed, I would tie it to slightly ugly stray cat

I was at work last night, so I had time to stockpile my questions. You asked for this, Kale! ;D

1. If you could only put 3 ingredients in a taco, what would they be? Justify your answer with great seriousness.
2. On average, how many hours a day do you listen to music?
3. Have you ever belonged to a cult?
4. What is your intellectual stance on the word 'yeet'?
5. Are you reading any books right now you'd like to share an opinion of?
6. What is your favourite food recipe of all time?
7. Do you believe in the Mothman? Bigfoot? Chupacabra? Why/why not?
8. What's a strange quirk you pride yourself on having?
9. Is it true you really know JFK's descendant?

Thank you, thank you.
I regret everything

1. Spiced, ground beef. This is where most of the flavour, texture, and protein comes from. My second ingredient would be lettuce to combat the salt I always inadvertently overload taco beef with. The third ingredient would be black beans so I can pretend I am being remotely healthy

2.  Oh fuck, good question. I listen to music whenever constantly -- usually while doing other things. Probably anywhere from three to five hours, although this increases heaps whenever I get obsessed with a new artist

3. all hail the acorn

4. I don't think you can use 'intellectual' and 'yeet' in the same sentence. Regardless, it is the single greatest contribution to the English language

5. I'm rereading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, which is about a blind French girl and a German boy in Paris during the midst of WWII. The only thoughts I can share on it without spoling it is that I highly recommend it

6. Well, my favourite to cook myself is mish mash (re: Insanipi's question on page 1), just because it is a) easy, b) cheap except for the feta, and c) tasty.  In general, however, I love this egg recipe
egg

7. I'd really love to, but I feel like animals that large and notorious would have to be seen by something more than a blurry camera operated by drunk people, so I'm going to say no on this one :( there's probably some pretty rad undiscovered creatures in the ocean of monster-level-of-cool

8. Every time without fail I will bless myself quietly after sneezing, even if somebody else does it for me

9. secretly_a_jfk_descendant

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 04:47:20 pm »
+2
Caleb, if you had the chance, would you do anything differently throughout your VCE experience?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 05:13:50 pm »
+7
Caleb, if you had the chance, would you do anything differently throughout your VCE experience?

Academically, I don't think I would. I was a pretty shit student to be perfectly honest -- for my first two English SACs, I only read the text the night before. Really not ideal behaviour. I most definitely did not study daily, or anything close to it, and I'm surprised I managed to keep up at times. However, at the end of it all, I managed to snag a place at my first preference, and all the free time I had from my (perhaps too) relaxed attitude really helped me start to get my mental health in order, which was my ultimate goal. My ATAR did what it was meant to do -- I wouldn't go back in time and push myself too hard just to get a better score and end up in the same place. My only issue here is that I have pretty shit studying habits, which won't help me in uni. I'm trying to resolve this by studying on the regular (thank you, Khan Academy and friends), so perhaps it'll improve by 2019.

With regards to other aspects of VCE, I certainly would. I regret not getting into extracurricular activities, like debating (which I always wanted to try but never did) and leadership opportunities in the school. I had some strong issues with my school at times, and while I did raise these issues with the school, I think I could've done more if I was involved in leadership. I understand that there's a range of opportunities at Monash, so I think I'll look into them when I start university.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 06:00:05 pm »
+1
I understand that there's a range of opportunities at Monash, so I think I'll look into them when I start university.
If you ever need my recommendations, PM me. Ditto for internship/ research/ careers programs for Monash science students.

Anyway, question for you, Calebark, have you noticed much difference between being a state mod and a national mod for the short time you've been one?
Can you also regale us with a funny dog story (please)? :)   
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
Do you identify more closely with tortoises or turtles ?

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 06:43:22 pm »
+7
If you ever need my recommendations, PM me. Ditto for internship/ research/ careers programs for Monash science students.

Anyway, question for you, Calebark, have you noticed much difference between being a state mod and a national mod for the short time you've been one?
Can you also regale us with a funny dog story (please)? :)   
Grouse, be sure to expect a PM as I get closer to starting uni :)

As a nat mod, every time a spam bot is banned, you gain a new superpower. I can currently fly, shoot lasers out of my eyes, and insert a USB in under three tries. Beyond that, so far the only difference is just that given you have a few more things that you can do, there's more buttons laying around. You really only need to step in as a state mod when something happens, which isn't too common (...except spam bots), so it's pretty much the same thing now

When I was a kiddie, my family had a German Shepherd called Ras (short for Rose Tattoo, the band), who was the cutest patootie. Anyway, we celebrated Christmas with a BBQ that year. We normally didn't eat much meat, so we were all super excited. Delicious, gourmet sausages, burgers, ribs, chops, the whole yard. It's all loaded onto a giant plate and carried to the table... until out of nowhere, a 30kg dog-shaped blur tackles my father, knocking all the food onto the dirt, where she begins to steal the food with the might of a thousand burning suns. We scavenged most of the food, but Ras being the lucky duck she is, managed to snag the best parts... the smoky ribs :( she ate like a queen that night

Do you identify more closely with tortoises or turtles ?

I absolutely love being in the water. Swimming has to be one of the best things in life. So, as controversial as it is, the answer is turtles
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:46:53 pm by Calebark »

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 11:14:42 pm »
the answer is turtles
I knew you’re actually a turtle ;)

If you were going to get a dog or a cat, what breed of dog would you get?

Given you were already living independently whilst you finished high school, did you notice any big differences between last year and this year?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 08:38:42 pm »
+7
I knew you’re actually a turtle ;)

If you were going to get a dog or a cat, what breed of dog would you get?

Given you were already living independently whilst you finished high school, did you notice any big differences between last year and this year?

A German Shepherd! They are the best breed and I challenge anyone who disagrees to a fight by the playground after school

Hmm, I don't think there's too much of a difference outside of the obvious school---work difference actually. Nothing has really changed as a result of leaving high school other than how I spent my time whilst at home. Probably the only thing that's new is that my real estate agent seems to take me a bit more seriously now that I'm not in high school -- but that could also be because they've gotten to know me a bit more too

also enjoy your time in Nepal!

Edit: well, weekend is about over, so I guess it's time to end this Q&A. Thank you for all your questions, it was a blast! Keep your eyes peeled on the Moderator Q+A Series page for the next week's Q&A announcement!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:09:55 pm by Calebark »