Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:14 am

Author Topic: ADVICE FOR METHODS PLEASE!!!! crying in it**  (Read 937 times)  Share 

pans

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
ADVICE FOR METHODS PLEASE!!!! crying in it**
« on: January 26, 2021, 09:05:41 pm »
+1
Im doing 3/4 methods this year and I seriously cant. I got no motivation to do hw and I KNOW im gonna fail so I dont even wanna try (i just feel dead inside). I go tuition BUT SOME TEXTBOOK QUESTIONS ARE STILL HARD AND I DONT GET IT!!!!! bruh.. what if i get raw 15 omfg..  PLS METHODS KIDS GIMME SOME ADVICE AND MOTIVATION!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: ADVICE FOR METHODS PLEASE!!!! crying in it**
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:07:10 pm »
+15
Im doing 3/4 methods this year and I seriously cant. I got no motivation to do hw and I KNOW im gonna fail so I dont even wanna try (i just feel dead inside). I go tuition BUT SOME TEXTBOOK QUESTIONS ARE STILL HARD AND I DONT GET IT!!!!! bruh.. what if i get raw 15 omfg..  PLS METHODS KIDS GIMME SOME ADVICE AND MOTIVATION!

Hey pans,
I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation; while I didn't do VCE or Methods, my thoughts are below:

1. 6 Questions a Day (Easier, Medium, Hard):
One of the best pieces of advice I could give for Mathematics is to be consistent and confront the harder questions. I would recommend starting to complete 6 questions a day like this:

- 2x Easier
- 2x Medium
- 2x Hard

This is because the more you confront and gain exposure to different question types, the more you will get used to them; you may not at first, but if you remain consistent with them, you will eventually become confident in attempting them in an exam. The reason for a couple of easy, medium and hard questions is to gain a wider scope upon the types of questions that could be asked of you in the exam room.

For any of the question difficulties above, try and attempt them, but if you get stuck you can always ask your teacher, tutor or us on ATAR Notes to explain how to do them.

2. Write Out a Method
For each and every question you come across (easy or hard), write up a step by step method on how to complete that certain type of question. This will enforce and provide repetition for your brain to do certain methods for certain questions (This can be adapted for curveball questions). For Example, if given a question on Surface Area write it like this:

1. Use the appropriate formula
   2. Substitute all given values into the formula
   3. Rearrange if necessary
   4. Solve and find the solution

3. PAST PAPERS, PAST PAPERS, PAST PAPERS!
100% please attempt VCE Methods questions from the past papers on the VCCA website alongside your textbook questions. At the end of the day, you have to attempt an exam written by VCCA, hence these past paper questions act as an extension. Whilst going through my HSC last year, I found past papers extremely helpful as they can help with exam prep, but also identifying where you need to fix understanding.

4. Ask Teachers, Tutors, Parents or Anyone for help
You could try and ask your teacher if they can sit with you before or after school to go through questions you found hard from VCAA past papers or the textbook. This could give you more 1 to 1 time with the teacher to help you. Also, asking a wide range of people how to do a question could provide an opportunity to see different methods on completing questions. This may help you find a method that makes more sense to you.

5. Motivational Videos
Here a few YouTube channels that can help with motivation:
- Motivation2Study
- Project Elon
- HESMotivation

Also, check out my thread - https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=190053.0

6. The Last Tip
The last piece of advice, is the great thing about the ATAR Notes forums. If you need help with any sort of questions, you can always post them here on the forums and get help from a current or past student (They may even provide an explanation) :)

I trust that if you are consistent with your efforts, study and willingness to find out the why and how of a question, you can succeed!

I hope this advice helps and goodluck with Methods
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:14:30 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: ADVICE FOR METHODS PLEASE!!!! crying in it**
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »
+1
I was doing quite badly during Methods last year, I did no homework for the first half of the year, then I buckled down to it. I got the teacher to help me, used Checkpoints on the weekend before the exams. Ultimately walked out with an A in both exams and a raw 34, which scaled to just over 39.

What I would recommend:
-Stay up to date as far as possible and get extensive teacher/tutor help
-Use Checkpoints - this was what saved the day I reckon for me - the teacher went through a question with me, another question, helped with a third then left me to keep going with similar ones. After working through the shorter ones together she then helped me with a bit of the extended response. If you don't have Checkpoints I suspect you can probably even pick them up at an op shop if you don't care which year (I used 2018 and it was absolutely fine; I've also seen them, multiple copies, at an op shop, though ebay would be your best bet or right here on ATARNotes)
-Do ridiculous numbers of practise exams (as I remember, I did two for Revs, three for Texts, five for English and somewhere around perhaps 15 for Methods? Each paper, that is). I found that I tried to do them once, then went through with a classmate on the answers, we could generally explain what the other didn't know. Then I went through Checkpoints even though I recognised some of the questions. Also remember there are NHT papers.

Ultimately:
I found that although scaling is not the be-all and end-all, Methods did something very nice to my ATAR because it skipped up by 5 aggregate points. Thus, working hard at Methods at the very end (in the last few weeks) dramatically changed my Methods scores (45/80 and 61/120) which probably would've been more in the range of 20-25/80 and 20-30/120 previously, judging by my trial exams.

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help. :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.