Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:30:43 pm

Author Topic: How do I study for a SAC with an article to go with it?  (Read 739 times)  Share 

ellasaunders

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How do I study for a SAC with an article to go with it?
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
I have a SAC next week (U4 AOS 2) and i was given an article on the golden rice debate which is going to be related to the SAC. What do i do for revision as well as revising the content?

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
Re: How do I study for a SAC with an article to go with it?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 07:23:43 pm »
+7
I have a SAC next week (U4 AOS 2) and i was given an article on the golden rice debate which is going to be related to the SAC. What do i do for revision as well as revising the content?

To start you off:

1. Of course read the article and understand the issue (golden rice debate) and understand the key arguments that the author makes. (not an English Argument Analysis ---> so don't go for paragraph writing  :P)

2. Research everything I could about the golden rice debate, this definitely includes the ethical, social, biological implications and issues (and know the difference between the 3)

Ethical issues: just to start you off.
  • Golden rice has shown to provide more vitamin A nutritional value (or so some research says), people are literally dying because of a lack of or limited vitamin A in their body. So it is ethical issue, because if you grow these crops they have the potential to save millions of life and then there is the plain argument: it is a GMO we don't have complete knowledge about how the plant is affected by genetical engineering.

Biological issues:
  • We do not know the biological consequence of introducing a gene from a seperate species. There may be unintended/unexpected effects that are detrimental to human health.
  • Could adversely affect the path of evolution of other rice crops if the GM gene was introduced. This could happen if pollen grains from GM plants are blown to fields with non-GM plants.

Social issues:
  • When golden rice was introduced there was a backlash this was due to difference in traditional practices. Imagine if you have been following this strict code of farming for 1000s of years and someone else comes and tells you that they have a better idea

3. Know what a GMO vs a transgenic organism is (you have to be able to define it) ---> understand that golden rice is a transgenic organism

4. I would go through each study dotpoint in AOS2 and create questions for the them (its your prerogative to choose if you would want to)

5. Do as much practice questions related to this topic.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:26:16 pm by SmartWorker »
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

ellasaunders

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: How do I study for a SAC with an article to go with it?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
Thank you so much this was so handy!!!! :) :) :)