Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:44 pm

Author Topic: SDD Major Project Discussion/Questions/Help Thread  (Read 9985 times)  Share 

Empathy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Emanuel School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
SDD Major Project Discussion/Questions/Help Thread
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:55:46 pm »
+3
Hey y'all. This thread is to discuss our major projects for software. Perhaps we could use each other as clients through this thread, discuss and soundboard our ideas as well as help each other with the tedium of documentation or finding good coding tutorials and whatnot.
ATAR Goal: 95+
HSC Subjects: 3U Maths | 4U Maths | SDD | Ancient History | Economics | Advanced English
Intended Uni degrees: BEcon/BSc | MEd(Secondary) | MEd(Gifted)

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
Re: SDD Major Project Discussion/Questions/Help Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:45:29 pm »
Hey Empathy, welcome to AN!

Would you like to kick things off by telling us a little about the major project you're currently working on?
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

Empathy

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:01:54 pm »
Sure! I'm making a turn-based game styled like pac-man, named 'Cat and mouse'. Fun fact: I composed my own main theme music for it on MuseScore using 5 Ocarina parts, a vocal part and a Body Percussion part :D https://musescore.com/user/6224321/scores/1968631
My project is being made in Javascript using jQuery, but I'm still finishing up learning the languages and its getting late enough that I'm just going to need to learn it as I code.
HSC Subjects: 3U Maths | 4U Maths | SDD | Ancient History | Economics | Advanced English

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:09:49 pm »
Quote from: Empathy
My project is being made in Javascript using jQuery

Good to see you're moving with the times and using jQuery as opposed to standard Javascript. Well done.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Empathy

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:12:32 pm »
Wouldn't making the GUI in normal Javascript be hell? That's pretty much what I've been told

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »
Wouldn't making the GUI in normal Javascript be hell? That's pretty much what I've been told

Yes - jQuery provides jQueryUI as well which basically provides you with all the gadgets you need. Once you've nailed jQuery your imagination can run wild. I don't really like their default styling (beside the point) but it's really a handy language to have because frontend is just as important as backend now :-)
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:54 pm »
+1
Good idea - stickied now, so new users can easily find and communicate in this thread for anything major work related ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:16:27 am »
+2
I'm SOO ready for this subject to be revived, I've been asking for resources on ATARNotes for SDD for ages!!
My major work is essentially a wishlist sharing program, where a user can make wishlists, share them to friends, and view their friends wishlists

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:39:46 am »
I'm SOO ready for this subject to be revived, I've been asking for resources on ATARNotes for SDD for ages!!
My major work is essentially a wishlist sharing program, where a user can make wishlists, share them to friends, and view their friends wishlists
Hey, SpanishPear.
That's so cool :o very original! How is it going at this stage?

cthulu

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 12:39:40 pm »
+2
Handed in my major project, last day of term 3. So relieved now!!

It was a calculator I did it to get a headstart on uni stuff and because I really love maths. But throughout my project, I realised how fun it was to hand write parsers. I am not the most brilliant in SDD or programming in general but I used an old java book that included a part about recursive descent parsing and that was what I did.

I had a objectives list and my teacher thought I was being too optimistic and ambitious but I managed to get every single thing done!!

If you guys want to check it out I can upload the project files and the portfoli, probably not the executable because you guys might think its a virus or something or the site doesn't allow it.

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 04:40:53 pm »
Handed in my major project, last day of term 3. So relieved now!!

It was a calculator I did it to get a headstart on uni stuff and because I really love maths. But throughout my project, I realised how fun it was to hand write parsers. I am not the most brilliant in SDD or programming in general but I used an old java book that included a part about recursive descent parsing and that was what I did.

I had a objectives list and my teacher thought I was being too optimistic and ambitious but I managed to get every single thing done!!

If you guys want to check it out I can upload the project files and the portfoli, probably not the executable because you guys might think its a virus or something or the site doesn't allow it.

Hey cthulu! That's awesome to hear!! One of my favourite things about SDD is that you get to be creative with the major project, instead of focusing on pure theory. Kudos to you for proving your teacher wrong and making something amazing like a boss B)

I'd love to see what you've done-- you could try posting a link to a Google Drive folder (although I'm not sure if shows your email-- do y'all see my email in the Alcon solutions?). Regardless, I'm sure it's great! :D
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

cthulu

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:25:28 pm »
+1
Hey cthulu! That's awesome to hear!! One of my favourite things about SDD is that you get to be creative with the major project, instead of focusing on pure theory. Kudos to you for proving your teacher wrong and making something amazing like a boss B)

I'd love to see what you've done-- you could try posting a link to a Google Drive folder (although I'm not sure if shows your email-- do y'all see my email in the Alcon solutions?). Regardless, I'm sure it's great! :D

Yep, we do not see your email. Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17cWOcEtZCzpNKpBvp0bHXiKB4iLSAv6T?usp=sharing