Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:46:56 am

Author Topic: VCAA marking for 2018 exam  (Read 1118 times)  Share 

AhmadH

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
VCAA marking for 2018 exam
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:00:48 pm »
Hi, i completed Biology units 3/4 in 2018 (year 11). Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with reassessing their exams? I averaged a 92 for Unit 3 and a 96 for Unit 4, but for the exam i got a B+ which i dont think is correct. I already received my statement of marks and after looking at the marking of certain questions i dont believe they were marked correctly. My marks for unit 4 were significantly decreased (9 marks off). Ive scheduled an inspection of examination, I do believe i did get a higher mark. Has anybody gone through this and it worked (or worth it)?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: VCAA marking for 2018 exam
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:08:01 pm »
Hey,
I don't have any experience with it, but I noticed that you said that your U4 mark was decreased - that mark is the result of the mark your school gave VCAA however it is then moderated in order to be able to compare students who sat different SACs (at different schools), so it won't necessarily be the same as your raw marks. The inspection of response/remarking only applies to the exam (GA3) not the marks for U3/U4.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AhmadH

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:13:08 pm »
Hey,
I don't have any experience with it, but I noticed that you said that your U4 mark was decreased - that mark is the result of the mark your school gave VCAA however it is then moderated in order to be able to compare students who sat different SACs (at different schools), so it won't necessarily be the same as your raw marks. The inspection of response/remarking only applies to the exam (GA3) not the marks for U3/U4.

Yeah i didn’t want to view those marks, but for the exam, will it be worth getting it reassessed? If anybody who did go through this process and get a better result out of it :)

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:30:17 am »
I’ve heard very few people successfully increasing their mark following an inspection. But this is super rare as VCAA doesn’t really make mistakes.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

AhmadH

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 11:56:43 am »
I’ve heard very few people successfully increasing their mark following an inspection. But this is super rare as VCAA doesn’t really make mistakes.

Hmm thanks, ill still go through with it and push for a reassessment i guess

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 12:52:57 pm »
+1
I've heard that some peoples study score has been increased due to pages that have just been missed in marking or some sort of admin error.
Otherwise it's quite rare to happen - also a reminder that biology marking is extremely pedantic so even if you have the right ideas for an answer if you don't have the correct keyword/phrase VCAA assesors won't award you the marks. So I guess a direct comparison between SACs and exam may not be that fair.