Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:58 am

Author Topic: URGENT: wrote outside the corners of the page border?  (Read 2223 times)

worldno1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
URGENT: wrote outside the corners of the page border?
« on: October 27, 2018, 08:48:11 pm »
hey guys!
feeling a little paranoid right now - would there be any issues if I wrote outside the border/corners of a HSC paper? would what I wrote still be read by the examiners?

any clarification would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:53:30 pm by worldno1 »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: urgent: wrote outside the corners of the page border?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:18:46 pm »
+1
Hey, worldno1!

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you've expressed this concern because I was just about to ask the same question. I think that they will be cutting the borders regardless of whether there is writing so the likelihood of the examiner reading it is low. If majority of the words are written inside it, I'm sure the marker will make the effort to figure out what the sentence is (otherwise, really unfortunate  :'( ) It would be great if someone could confirm if this is true!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 10:22:26 pm »
I am not 100% sure for HSC, but for VCE (Economics particularly) we were told that if it's not within the lines it isn't assessable... :-\
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Chelsea f.c.

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:44 pm »
They scan your script books so if it isn't scanned it may be unclear but just remember your examiner is not a jackass
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) Finance - UoM - 2019
Bachelor of Commerce - Economics and Finance - UoM - 2015 - 2018
Diploma in Mathematical Sciences - Statistics and Stochastic Processes - UoM - 2015 - 2018

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:14:12 pm »
Can anyone confirm??? Very worried right now.
I asked the exam invigilator - she did say that I could write outside of the lines...but not 100% sure if that includes outside of the right-angle borders.

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
Re: URGENT: wrote outside the corners of the page border?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 02:31:19 am »
+2
DISCLAIMER: This is just my personal understanding so I can't 100% verify this!!

This could depend on the type of booklet used for the exam; whether the response is directly written onto the exam paper (like Chemistry) or on a separate booklet (like English). But regardless, my general understanding is that the margin is basically 'extra space' to ensure that the boxed writing space isn't cut off by scanners cropping the edges! So the pages will be scanned in full, but parts of the margins might be cut off (depending on the orientation and setup of different scanners).

But I would imagine that the margins would still be there in most cases - especially because markers would find it diffiicult to read without any margins, and they would have raised that ;D Unless you wrote whole sentences in the margin, a few words should be fine and even if they were slightly cropped, I'm sure the examiner can figure it out from context - so don't worry too much about it! Hope this helped :D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »
+1
DISCLAIMER: This is just my personal understanding so I can't 100% verify this!!

This could depend on the type of booklet used for the exam; whether the response is directly written onto the exam paper (like Chemistry) or on a separate booklet (like English). But regardless, my general understanding is that the margin is basically 'extra space' to ensure that the boxed writing space isn't cut off by scanners cropping the edges! So the pages will be scanned in full, but parts of the margins might be cut off (depending on the orientation and setup of different scanners).

But I would imagine that the margins would still be there in most cases - especially because markers would find it diffiicult to read without any margins, and they would have raised that ;D Unless you wrote whole sentences in the margin, a few words should be fine and even if they were slightly cropped, I'm sure the examiner can figure it out from context - so don't worry too much about it! Hope this helped :D

Thank you so much for the reassurance! This sounds quite promising. I don't think I wrote too much outside the margins but had a tendency to during past papers. But, that's good, thank you!! :))
Good luck for the rest of your HSC.

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 07:35:16 am »
Basically think what has been said above.... It is just to ensure that your hard work is not lost.... providing not too much is lost they markers should be able to interrupt it...

just remember... there is no problem asking for more booklets... I got 7 extra for maths  ;D
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

worldno1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:28 am »
Basically think what has been said above.... It is just to ensure that your hard work is not lost.... providing not too much is lost they markers should be able to interrupt it...

just remember... there is no problem asking for more booklets... I got 7 extra for maths  ;D

Wait...you can get extra booklets for any subject and any section of the exam? (Currently in Y11). That's good to hear though, will keep in mind for next year!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 10:15:46 am »
Wait...you can get extra booklets for any subject and any section of the exam? (Currently in Y11). That's good to hear though, will keep in mind for next year!

Indeed you can! Put your hand up, ask for extra paper and it'll be given to you :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW