Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:14 am

Author Topic: Site Search  (Read 3536 times)  Share 

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Site Search
« on: February 02, 2014, 05:45:29 pm »
+9
I have a question....

Is it just me, or does the ATARNotes Search function really suck?
I can never find what I want, and it must be really frustrating for new people who want to find an answer and not repeat the same question 1000 times to find it independently.
Maybe I'm just retarded but you'd think, when trying to find the thread called "Timetabling" it would be the first hit when you search for "Timetabling"........................
I know AN staff are super busy and AN is awesome (!!!!!!!) but I just thought it would be worth pointing out that the search function is kind of unusable for any practical purposes........
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Site Search
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »
+5
It's better, easier and quicker to add "site:atarnotes.com" on the end of what you're looking for in a google search (rather than using the AN search tool). That way it'll only search AN and give you a good chance of what you want to find (most of the time when I'm looking for something it comes up in the first three links). The AN search feature has been crap for a while, but since using google and added the extra text works pretty well, there isn't really much need to fix the search feature when there's another option that already works well.

e.g. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=google+searchs+ite&oq=google+searchs+ite&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2j69i60l3.2471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=2014+Monash+subject+choice+Thread+site:atarnotes.com
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:28:56 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:09:17 pm »
+2
Yeah it sucks, the default search really only works well if you know what thread you're looking for specifically. b^3's suggestion is the way to go, or you can choose "Google" from the drop down in the search thingo in the top right does the same thing.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 06:17:14 pm »
I've only ever been using the AN search ways, and I think it's decent if you do an advanced search. I love being able to easily sort posts/topics by users and I honestly can't be bothered opening a tab to do a google search.

90+FTW

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:21 pm »
Yeah, I don't particularity like how it works either. To be honest, I just go to Google, type in my question and then add atarnotes after it.

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:07:34 pm »
It's better, easier and quicker to add "site:atarnotes.com" on the end of what you're looking for in a google search (rather than using the AN search tool). That way it'll only search AN and give you a good chance of what you want to find (most of the time when I'm looking for something it comes up in the first three links). The AN search feature has been crap for a while, but since using google and added the extra text works pretty well, there isn't really much need to fix the search feature when there's another option that already works well.

e.g. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=google+searchs+ite&oq=google+searchs+ite&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l2j69i60l3.2471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=2014+Monash+subject+choice+Thread+site:atarnotes.com

Has AN admins considered simply removing the current search and replacing it with a google search which just searches the forums in this case? Seems like it would save the admin team the hassle of making their own search feature and there would be vast improvements.

I too dislike the current search feature on this site. One of the first worst I have ever experienced on a site and it tends to ruin the user experience at times.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:53:53 pm by chasej »
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »
Has AN admins considered simply removing the current search and replacing it with a google search which just searches the forums in this case? Seems like it would save the admin team the hassle of making their own search feature and there would be vast improvements.

I too dislike the current search feature on this site. One of the first I have ever experienced on a site and it tends to ruin the user experience at times.
You can do that by selecting the drop down box net to the search and selecting Google.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:04 pm »
You know, one easy solution would be to get rid of the "search site" option entirely. If we just had the search bar that automatically put a google search with AN restrictions on it, new users would be taken straight to google instead of being put off from searching the site (and asking repetitive questions lelel).
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

DavidB3ck

• CTO
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I do things sometimes.
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:17:35 pm »
+9
I've done what I can to improve the search function and still be able to seamlessly upgrade SMF. Not sure how much, if any, it will actually improve... But there's always the Google option in the search dropdown.