Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:21:17 am

Poll

Which VCE subject is better and more interesting?

VCE Economics
35 (63.6%)
VCE Legal Studies
20 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Which Is better?  (Read 5726 times)  Share 

hf123

Which Is better?
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:19:56 am »
Please Help me out!

waffles19

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Which Is better?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:53 pm »
Go for legal if you enjoy memorising large chunks of info and regurgitating it all on exam day :) The final exam is a massive handwriting speed contest, no joke!

VCE Economics will help you HEAPS if you do a Commerce degree at Monash. I regret not taking economics instead of chemistry. Around 1-2 of first year subjects are economics-related in B.Comm, I wish I'd realised this earlier! It's useful.

Legal studies will help you in the first 7-8 weeks of Law, LOL! Especially with 'Introduction to Legal Reasoning' unit, you'll find that if you've done legal studies, you'll understand and pickup alot faster than those who haven't. If you do legal then go into a law degree, you'll already have a really, really solid understanding of the whole legal system and a bit of law when others start at zero again.

However having said that, legal doesn't help with the real full-on law subjects like Contracts.. :(

IN OTHER WORDS:
Do Eco in you're planning to do Commerce
Do Legal Studies if you're planning to do Law.

Both subjects are important! :)
But yeah I loved legal <3
2012 - 2016: Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) and Bachelor of Laws, Monash University
2011: 99.60 ATAR Legal Studies [50], Business Management [50], English [48], Accounting [43], Chemistry [34], Mathematical Methods [35]

chiral

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:27 pm »
it depends on what you wanna do but legal is an easy 50, it is basically common sense and if you are capable of structuring your answers well then there is no reason why you cannot get a 45+ study score

observer7

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:20 pm »
+4
it depends on what you wanna do but legal is an easy 50, it is basically common sense and if you are capable of structuring your answers well then there is no reason why you cannot get a 45+ study score

There's no such thing as an easy 50.
Finished in 2011. Business 50. ATAR 96

Newton

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »
true ^
No matter what one you choose to do, either way without the hard work you will not achieve the best result. I do legal studies myself, and I find the concepts easy, however without the hard work, and studying I will get probably a 38. So choose the subject you enjoy, but make sure you work hard!!

Whatthe0004

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »
BUMP

I am towards the stage of making a decision between economics or legal studies...

What is easier..

Are the concepts in 3+4 economics hard to grasp?
Is legal studies just content heavy and majority of it just memorisation?

Jono_CP

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:00:00 am »
I regret massively not doing Legal Studies, as I like the memorisation subjects...

Depends on what you want.

Economics is something I do which I enjoy but I will get a lower study score than I would have had I studied Legal.

Jono_CP

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:01:51 am »
Actually then again though, you have to remember the scaling. E.g. I might get a 36 for Legal but it gets marked down by 1 (35). Whereas if I had have got 36 for Economics this gets marked up by 2 (38) so about a 3 point difference.

In the scheme of things it is minor to the contribution towards your ATAR score, essentially both are valuable subjects.

Only thing I'll say though is that Economics is not as hard as it seems, apart from supply and demand (1/4 of the study design). The rest is essentially like Legal in terms of ways to revise and structure (I know this from talking to really good Legal students who also do Eco.), alas with multiple choice questions which are not overly hard if you do the study.

Of course, I am be biased but I think I have given you some honest feedback about potential study scores (e.g. harder to do well in eco.) but consider the scaling and the most interesting subject for YOU, if you really cannot choose one or the other.

Happy days, all the best :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:03:46 am by Jono_CP »