Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:29:54 am

Author Topic: An interesting quirk in the forums  (Read 824 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
An interesting quirk in the forums
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:00:02 pm »
+15
Hi guys. :)

Okay, so this is just a small mystery I happened to finally solve yesterday. Shamefully, by counting, but the point is I've solved a mystery that's bugged me for my 4 years spent on this forum. Which is why I am posting about it. Because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. Even though it's minor in the grand picture. And some others already knew about it apparently.

This is when you're trying to make a post. I noticed how sometimes when I make a post, I get taken to the section of the forum the thread was in. At other times when I post, I get taken to my published post itself. I always preferred the latter because it showed me where I f***ed up in my math equations, but couldn't figure out the trick.

And yesterday, I finally learnt:
- If you use the quick reply, you always get taken back to the section of the forums the thread was in.
- If you choose to preview your post before you submit it, you get taken to the actual published post.

(Which is helpful, because now I know that I should always preview my math equations to make sure I didn't mess them up. When I get taken back out of the thread I just get lazy.)

But yeah, that is all for your Friday afternoon quirky fact. Thanks for tuning in. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
Re: An interesting quirk in the forums
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 12:06:36 pm »
+4
Good sleuthing, Rui - I didn't know this!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »
+9
(Which is helpful, because now I know that I should always preview my math equations to make sure I didn't mess them up. When I get taken back out of the thread I just get lazy.)
Alternatively, you can check the box in your profile settings so that it always takes you back to the post you just made.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:14:11 pm »
+8
If you don't mind I'm going to tack onto this thread with this another little known feature:

If you get a lot of pms then setting up folders and rules in the personal messaging system is revolutionary. For example, I have a folder for werewolf and any message that has werewolf in the body or subject is automatically moved there.

To set up this: Click on my messages then go to "manage labels" on the left and create the folder you want. Once you've made that folder, you can set up rules for messages to automatically move there in "manage rules". I like in my settings to have pms displayed as a conversation and that labelling something removes it from inbox

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:51 pm »
+5
For added context, since I didn't know about PF's fix until now either:

Edit gahhhh highlighted the wrong one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:15:15 pm by RuiAce »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 04:01:21 pm »
+8
Hijacking this thread to say that a few quirks that I've also found about the forum leaderboard:
1. It seemingly updates itself every 15 minutes
and
2. resets at 11 am every Monday morning! (Or at 11 am whenever I've noticed haha, this is likely dependent on timezone I guess haha)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!