Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:36:34 pm

Author Topic: Actuarial Studies  (Read 3759 times)  Share 

Ollierobb1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Actuarial Studies
« on: December 17, 2019, 08:02:58 pm »
Just curious, I’m thinking of applying for actuarial studies at UNSW & Macquarie but I didn’t get the guaranteed entry atar of 97. I am a rural student will there be any adjustment factors for this? Also what do you think the cut off for the atar for both UNIS will be, I got an atar of 94.4 so pretty far off (english screwed me). Thanks I’m advanced!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Actuarial Studies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 08:20:51 pm »
Just curious, I’m thinking of applying for actuarial studies at UNSW & Macquarie but I didn’t get the guaranteed entry atar of 97. I am a rural student will there be any adjustment factors for this? Also what do you think the cut off for the atar for both UNIS will be, I got an atar of 94.4 so pretty far off (english screwed me). Thanks I’m advanced!
What are your subjects if I may ask? because depending on that you could be guaranteed entry...

Ollierobb1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:26:35 pm »
What are your subjects if I may ask? because depending on that you could be guaranteed entry...
-> Physics, Chemistry, Adv English, Maths X1 & 2

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:40:29 pm »
-> Physics, Chemistry, Adv English, Maths X1 & 2
Ouch my bad I looked up Acturial studies and neither uni give bonus points for your mark in those subjects which is quite insane, especially considering MX1 and MX2 are quite relevant.

You could get adjustment factors if your school is disadvantaged, I suggest calling the universities but always have your top preference as number 1 no matter the atar.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:13:11 pm »
If you've applied (or if you can still apply) for bonus points as a rural student, these will still be taken into account. Both UNSW and MQ have their own ways of addressing bonus points for disadvantaged students, and I'd encourage you to check them out. Through them, you may be able to get in.

As mentioned above though, it's definitely a pain that actuarial studies doesn't get any HSC plus bonus points. It's like law and medicine in that regard.

Although, if you don't get in, I'll comment that it is very common to transfer into actuarial studies through another degree, such as commerce and/or mathematics.