Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:42:41 am

Author Topic: QCE Biology Questions Thread  (Read 13842 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
QCE Biology Questions Thread
« on: January 30, 2019, 03:25:43 pm »
+7
QCE BIOLOGY Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the QCE Biology course (both Units 1&2 and 3&4) or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, so you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: QCE Biology Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 05:49:28 pm »
+2
Apparently there are many overlaps between QCE and the Victorian Curriculum. Mainly just posting here so that I'll get notified of other replies and be able to help out! There are heaps of great resources in the VCE section of the board for any QCE students looking for help.

A new list of tips that has definitely been super helpful is this one.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 05:51:20 pm »
+3
Apparently there are many overlaps between QCE and the Victorian Curriculum. Mainly just posting here so that I'll get notified of other replies and be able to help out! There are heaps of great resources in the VCE section of the board for any QCE students looking for help.

A new list of tips that has definitely been super helpful is this one.
You can also press the "NOTIFY" button in the bottom right corner of a page to enable notifications for it.

Same button also appears on sections of the forum as well :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:56:14 pm by RuiAce »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:21 pm »
+1
Oh awesome! I had never noticed that before! Sorry!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:01:14 pm »
+3
Oh awesome! I had never noticed that before! Sorry!
Nothing to apologise about haha. Just pointing it out to make life easier in the future :)

Alicevictor

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 03:30:40 pm »
+1
I was wondering what study methods everyone recommends for biology, besides reading through textbook and flashcards?
thankyou,
Alice

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »
+5
I was wondering what study methods everyone recommends for biology, besides reading through textbook and flashcards?
thankyou,
Alice
I found that after noting the textbook, a good way to gauge understanding and to help really consolidate knowledge was to jump right into some practice questions. You can do the textbook questions, however, I personally prefered (when I did VCE bio) doing biozone questions and exam-style questions from the ATARnotes topic tests. Unfortunately, there aren't QCE topic tests yet, but there does seem to be a biozone the book, although I cannot speak to its quality. There may also be some other qce syllabus question books sold by other companies, however, I am not aware of any. Regardless of what questions you can get your hands on, doing them will hopefully identify areas that you don't really understand (which you need to go back and study some more) and will help you retain the information in the long run.
I also found that trying to teach topics really helped both remembering content. If you have friends doing bio, try taking turns teaching each other topics as the process of teaching really forces you to understand the topic yourself. And if you don't have anyone to teach you could always (like me) teach aloud to a imaginary friend.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
+3
Welcome to the forums!! :)

To add on to what Erutepa said about practice questions, Units 1,2 & 4 have significant crossover with the VCE biology syllabus so you can use past VCAA (vic equivalent of QCAA) questions to get in QCE practice & if you happen to have edunlimited I recommend looking at the VCE and HSC topic tests and doing relevant questions from there.

If at any point you don't know where to find questions relevant to QCE science subjects let me know and I'll point you in the right direction for the topic you're studying :)

aleenabinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 08:31:09 pm »
QCE BIOLOGY Q&A THREAD

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the QCE Biology course (both Units 1&2 and 3&4) or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you, so you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

Hi,
I am currently doing a research assignment on how gene sequencing of a bacteria can produce ethanol. The evidence look pretty confusing when it comes to analysing and interpreting. I'll attach an image. Any advice on how i can analyse and interpret this?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:03 pm »
+1

Hi,
I am currently doing a research assignment on how gene sequencing of a bacteria can produce ethanol. The evidence look pretty confusing when it comes to analysing and interpreting. I'll attach an image. Any advice on how i can analyse and interpret this?

Hi,

It's pretty hard to analyse and interpret this for your IA without any additional context.

What information was accompanying this?
Were you provided with this or is it something you've found during your research?

For your claim, keep in mind the gene sequencing is where you find out about the genes an organism has, the sequencing itself wouldn't directly be used to produce ethanol.

aleenabinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 06:30:58 pm »
Hi,

It's pretty hard to analyse and interpret this for your IA without any additional context.

What information was accompanying this?
Were you provided with this or is it something you've found during your research?

For your claim, keep in mind the gene sequencing is where you find out about the genes an organism has, the sequencing itself wouldn't directly be used to produce ethanol.

That was an image i found during my research, but i think i found better sources now.
My research question is "how can genome sequencing of Zymomonas mobilis contribute to a sustainable generation of ethanol?"
So iv found a few genetic engineering sources, where they derive the ethanol-producing genes (pyruvate decarboxylase & alcohol dehydrogenase) from Zymomonas mobilis and integrate it into another bacteria e.g cyanobacteria to produce ethanol. So im going to be using 2 two sources that are like that (integrated into different bacterias but still using the genes from Zymo), and for my third evidence i found a source where they clone and sequence alcohol dehydrogenase using indicator plates. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3584063/
Since genetic engineering and genome sequencing are  related, i thought that would be okay to use as evidence. What are your thoughts on this?

XD12345

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:45:41 pm »
The textbook gives you three types of transects: belt transects, line intercepts and strip census. I know their definitions but I struggle to interpret them in questions.

So I have two questions,

1. What is the actual difference between these three?

and

2. How do I know which one is the best to use in a situation?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »
+1
For the record I'm in my final year of an ecology and conservation biology major and have done sampling along transects but never been asked this

Anyway here's the info:
- belt transect:
1. Set out your transect line
2. Sample along the transect at regular intervals using quadrats
3. Put all of your data into excel and spend hours trying to analyse it because even with pivot tables it's just too much and very frustrating thus motivating you to learn R ...

Since you're sampling in quadrats you can see changes in abundance and distribution along the transect

- line intercept
1. Set out your transect
2. Rather than picking out particular quadrats, note everything that intercepts the transect line

This can give you information on distribution but not abundance. Useful for things like building species accumulation curves where you don't need abundance info as it's quicker than using quadrats.

- strip census
1. Set out your transect and decide a distance either side that you'll be including in the strip
2. Note everything that intercepts that strip

You could think of the strip as being like one long thin quadrat but like in line transects you don't record abundance; so basically it's line intercept but a thick line (that therefore takes longer)

I hope this helps :)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 09:05:21 pm »
This helped a lot thank you!

flower2021

• Fresh Poster
  • wowowowowowowwo
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
+1
Hi I'm going into grade 12 this year and am wondering if it might be a good idea to drop biology? I do six general subjects currently and biology is not my worst subject but I sort of think it's the most unnecessary. I'll just let you guys know approximately what I got last year so there's a better clue of my situation.

Biology- 88
Chemistry-78
Japanese-85 (i think)
Methods-75
Visual Art- 97
Literature- 89

I enjoy all my subjects and I'm not willing to give any of them up except biology as i don't believe it scales particularly well and I already have chemistry. Last year it was really stressful to manage all my subjects, especially having two sciences where I get the same assignments at similar times. I feel it might be better to use the time for biology for other subjects because chemistry is really hard. I want to do a bachelor of science or language at UQ and seeing as I already have chemistry I'm thinking it's not that bad to give bio up?

My friend from grade 12 last year said she wished she only did 5 subjects so that's why I started wondering. I want to get a high atar but I'm not that bothered by it enough to study my brains out all the time and want to have time for work and friends.

But I'm not completely sure yet, if anyone has any thoughts on this I would love to know.
Thank you so so much for reading this and have a wonderful day :)
:)