Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:34:28 am

Poll

does my lowercase typing bother you? (be honest! (✿◠‿◠))

yes
8 (16.7%)
no
40 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: pugs' (v late!) vce journal ▼・ᴥ・▼  (Read 8719 times)

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
pugs' (v late!) vce journal ▼・ᴥ・▼
« on: July 05, 2019, 04:51:45 pm »
+12
hi everyone!

i'm starting this journal pretty late into the year but i figured i might try to document the last stride (and most daunting part) of year 12 → term 3 and the exams  :-[

here's a quick introduction  :)
about me
i'm what you could probably call 'the person who asks loads of questions but doesn't really help anybody on the forum' → you may or may not have seen me lurking around the biology and chemistry question threads in particular (i need help  :(). i happen to ask many questions, but don't really answer other peoples' questions. my main reasons are probably 1. i have no idea about the topic or 2. i am uncertain of my answer and don't want to accidentally provide false information → so i stick to asking questions :/ (i'm hoping to start answering other peoples' questions soon though! *maybe as a form of revision?*)

about my studies
i studied a LOTE second language last year, which i had been learning for literally my whole life (can you guess what it is?  :P) and ended up with a decent study score that i was happy about (mostly because i know it scales well haha)

this year i am undertaking mainstream english, biology, chemistry, further maths and maths methods. i have absolutely no idea what i want to do in uni as of now, but i'm hoping that i'll get a high enough atar so that i'll have options :P my goals at the start of the year were at least 40 in each subject, but i highly doubt that i will be able to get that with my SAC scores so far :(

chemistry: i've only gotten 1 SAC back and i got a 60% :(
english: i've gotten 4 SACs back and despite aiming for an A on each SAC i only ended up with one A :/
biology: this is probably the subject i'm doing the best in so far, as i'm happy with my current SACs, but not exceptionally happy because i probably could have done better
methods: we've only gotten 1 SAC back so far, and despite my score being just above average, i was hoping for a higher mark :(
further: we've gotten 2 SACs back, and i did surprisingly well in the first SAC and not so well in the second one (finance :()

i'm hoping that as term 3 picks up, i can get myself back on track with the SACs, assessments and tests (especially as we have a methods SAC on the first week back D: )

and a quick question!
our school is studying year of wonders and the crucible for our comparative SAC, and i was wondering if anyone had studied/is studying these texts and had any tips? thank you! :D

bye for now!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:05:43 pm by pugs »

2019 vce journal here

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: pugs' (v late!) vce journal ▼・ᴥ・▼
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »
+7
Hey pugs! :)

Great work on the journal. I wouldn't give up on a 40+ based just on SAC scores. Remember that these might not be quite as they seem (due to moderation and other stuff not really worth thinking about too much), and exams always play a role, too!

How would you describe each of your subjects atm?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brothanathan

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:00:23 pm »
+1
Welcome to the VCE journal club! I can see that you're feeling a bit down but trust me to release your most inner struggles here. Our lovely community will always be there for you. I'm not forcing you to do that, you have the right to not. If you're okay with it your VCE journal will be quality and perhaps will be a great journal to remind yourself how far you've come in the future. Have fun out there :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:06:59 pm by brothanathan »

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:29:17 pm »
+3
Hey pugs! :)

Great work on the journal.
hey Joseph41! thanks for the positive response!  ;D

I wouldn't give up on a 40+ based just on SAC scores. Remember that these might not be quite as they seem (due to moderation and other stuff not really worth thinking about too much), and exams always play a role, too!
ah that's true! i really ought to keep up this mindset else i might just end up giving up altogether  :-[

How would you describe each of your subjects atm?
for english, i'd say that we're going at a pretty decent (but boring) pace → as we're currently studying the crucible, we're watching the play and annotating our copy of the play in each class (with a break in between for our oral presentations). the workload right now is not as hefty as we still have to go through the whole of year of wonders before our practise SAC/the SAC! for extra work, i really want to write a bunch of practise essays and get them marked, but i can't find the motivation to do so :( furthermore, i really suck at writing essays in general, so it usually takes me hours to just write one essay :/ (which is very bad as the english exam is looming)

in biology, it's pretty content heavy as expected. at the end of term 2 we just finished unit 3 and moved onto a little bit of unit 4 (the DNA technology component). i find biology quite fascinating, as most of it can be applied to our daily lives or our future as well! as mentioned before, the workload is heavy, but i think i'm keeping up okay as of now! regarding the previous topics, i think photosynthesis and respiration was one of the trickier topics for me to understand, but with a buNCH of extra work i managed to score a SAC mark that i was happy with! :)

chemistry on the other hand is a big mess rn :/ we've begun organic chemistry, which i find quite confusing with all of the als D: lol!! but then again i am slacking with the extra work. i really love the experiments we do in class though, and i find that i am a visual learner, so they really help me understand the content! in the previous topics, i got mixed with electrolysis and galvanic cells (lol) which screwed up one of my SACs :(, and i'm not a big fan of fuels either. however, i found the equilibrium and rates of reaction topics okay, but i'm awaiting my SAC score to confirm whether i know this stuff or not *sweats nervously bc of first failed sac h a h a*

in both of the maths subjects, the homework/extra work is pretty much just textbook questions, which i think i'm handling okaY¿ for further, the textbook questions are always doable, which is a relief for me as i picked it up this year. our teacher also gave me some extra questions to do, so i think i'm set for extra work for further lool. i found the bivariate/univariate topic in further quite simple, and i was happy with my SAC score. as for the finance section, i legit don't understand it like ??? but i managed to do okay in my SAC, it definitely could have been better though!

as for methods, i think i'm doing alright with the textbook questions, but they are tough questions, so i usually end up asking for help haha. we've finished most of the calculus topics and are currently starting probability. hOWEVER!! we have a SAC on algebra, antidiff and circular functions very soon (first wk back :( how mean ikr!!!) so i'm a bit worried about that as the content is quite heavy!

2019 vce journal here

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 05:38:00 pm »
+1
Welcome to the VCE journal club!
thanks for the welcome brothanathan!  ;D

I can see that you're feeling a bit down but trust me to release your most inner struggles here. Our lovely community will always be there for you. I'm not forcing you to do that, you have the right to not. If you're okay with it your VCE journal will be quality and perhaps will be a great journal to remind yourself how far you've come in the future. Have fun out there :)
aww thanks so much for the positive energy! <3 i will definitely try to release my struggles without it just turning into a rant haha

2019 vce journal here

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:40:18 pm »
+1
What lote subject did you do last year?

Side Note: feel free to not answer this if you're not comfortable in doing so
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:43:46 pm by Snow Leopard »

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:29:29 pm »
+1
What lote subject did you do last year?
hey Snow Leopard!
i did chinese SL last year hehe

Side Note: feel free to not answer this if you're not comfortable in doing so
and nono, it's all good  :D
i think the main reason i didn't explicitly say this (and why it's not in my forum sig) was because i was worried people were going to figure out who i was. however, i didn't really think about putting my other subjects out there, because i think they give a pretty good giveaway if anyone from my school sees this anyway haha

2019 vce journal here

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 09:38:52 pm »
+6
small holiday update
only 1 week of holidays left!  :'(

i've also got an update on the first week back methods SAC → turns out we also have a methods test the day after ;/

so far, i have
- procrastinated a lot
- read year of wonders
- completed chemistry assignments
- spent too much time eating ;;
- completed methods textbook questions

now i need to
- stop procrastinating
- write english essays
- complete my practise exam for biology
- study for my methods SAC and test >:(
- study for my further and biology SACs (i have 6 SACs the second week back sigh)
- exercise (urgh i keep saying i will exercise but i get too lazy!)

how are your holidays going? are you procrastinating like me as well?

2019 vce journal here

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:57:36 pm »
+1
small holiday update
Unfortunately, yes.  :-[

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 04:17:16 pm »
+2
small holiday update
only 1 week of holidays left!  :'(

i've also got an update on the first week back methods SAC → turns out we also have a methods test the day after ;/

so far, i have
- procrastinated a lot
- read year of wonders
- completed chemistry assignments
- spent too much time eating ;;
- completed methods textbook questions

now i need to
- stop procrastinating
- write english essays
- complete my practise exam for biology
- study for my methods SAC and test >:(
- study for my further and biology SACs (i have 6 SACs the second week back sigh)
- exercise (urgh i keep saying i will exercise but i get too lazy!)

Yikes, six SACs in a week? That's pretty rough. But one by one, you'll get them done. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 03:54:24 pm »
+1
Yikes, six SACs in a week? That's pretty rough. But one by one, you'll get them done. :)
ok well to be honest it's 6 SAC sessions (biology + because the further and methods SACs go over multiple (50 min >:() sessions) but i still like to call them individual SACs for motivation hahah
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:56:19 pm by pugs »

2019 vce journal here

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »
+6
term 3 week 1 update
so.. i think i'd say my first week back was bad

i definitely liked seeing my friends again, but i had a number of breakdowns over the past 4 days :/. first of all, we got our second (and final) chemistry unit 3 SAC back, and i hadn't performed as well as i had hoped (i had initially walked away from that SAC feeling pretty content). i also calculated my chemistry unit 3 SAC average, and based on the VCAA 2018 grade distributions, i'm sitting pretty low. sigh. it also doesn't help that my chemistry teacher is pretty much really stone-cold whenever i ask questions, which just makes me feel like i'm dumb. we are currently finishing up organic chemistry in class, and i'm hoping that i can start some summary revision for that topic.

we had the first session of our second methods SAC this week as well (our test got postponed). i just felt really confused with the whole SAC. it's about 'adding trig functions' (eg we had 2sin(2x) + 3cos(3x)), but the questions were worded in a way that i didn't understand them ,_, so i struggled with thAt. we have 2 more sessions next week, so i'm hoping that they go better, but they're probably going to be a follow on from the first session so we'll see ;/

further and biology are going alright. in further, we just had a whole bunch of work lessons preparing for our further SAC on matrices next week. in biology, we are finishing up on the topic of DNA technology/manipulation, as we have a SAC on that next week eek.

and english. oh dear. so, last term, my teacher asked me to write up some essays for our text response novel, frankenstein. i did that, and brought it to her to mark today. aand she said it was pre bad (not explicity of course, but in teacher talk lol). she says i'm struggling with explaining how shelley demonstrates/criticises/explains whatever she is doing, and that i need to do much deeper analysis. i tried practising this over the holidays, but evidently, it hasn't worked. if anyone has any text analysis/response tips please, please, please let me know – i need major help (thank you soo much). also i might just rant abt english a bit sorry in advance!! this whole year, i've been struggling with english so much, and it's so frustrating. regardless of what i write, how much evidence i put in, how much help i seek, how much proofreading i get, i'm still averaging a B, and i really, desperately want to get an A. i've talked to my teacher many times on how to improve, and each time i've tried to do what she has advised, but to no avail. i'm also doing eng tutoring, and i'm still struggling. i really despise how english marking is so ambiguous;/ i'm literally giving up rn, but the only thing that's making me work harder is that i don't want to let me parents down

and that's my week summed up lol - good job if you read it all haha

as i mentioned before, if you have any tips on how to do deeper analysis with english text responses, pleaseeeee let me know, i'd appreciate it so so so much (and!!! if you know anything about adding of trig functions for methods, pls let me know as well! thank you!)

*and i hope this wasn't too much of a rant/stress dump!* huge apologies if it was

2019 vce journal here

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 03:28:45 pm »
+7
term 3 week 2 update

phew, just finished with my heaviest sac week yet, and i don't know if i should be relieved or worried..

further sacs
in total we had 3 sessions. the first one was pretty easy, so i'm hoping i can do well in that one. the other two were just .. weird ? the questions were all oddly worded, so i had trouble working out what they meant lol. i hope i did okay though !

methods sacs
there were also 3 sessions. oh boyy, do i hate some weird asf sacs. our school always gives us the weirdest methods sacs, and this one was no exception :/. our whole sac was essentially based on the addition of trigonometric functions (sin/cos only) and there were sooooo many prove/show questsions aiya : ( – today i did the dumbest thing though.. just when time was up, i flicked to the end of the sac booklet and realised that i had missed the whole back page  :-[ so that's a solid 3-5 (idk) marks gone from 25 ;// i reaaallly hope my other sections were well done enough to make up for this stupid loss of marks (i maybe, just maybe blame the teachers for including a whole blank page on the page just before that question page ? ? i legitimately thought that was the end of the booklet sigh)

biology sac(?)
oki turns out our biology 'sac' wasn't really a sac, but just an excursion in preparation for our upcoming two unit 4 sacs, so that was cool. we did get our immunity sac back though. i didn't perform as well as i had hoped, but i'm still happy with the result :))

english
- we're just continuing with going through year of wonders :- v fun

chemistry
- we finished up with organic chem and are moving onto the technology section! kind of worried ngl..

how was your week? :D

2019 vce journal here

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 06:49:29 pm »
+4
term 3 week 3 update
wow the term is flying by! it felt like only yesterday when it was week 1 :(

updates on subjects
english: not doing much new, just continuing with our study of year of wonders. i'm kind of freaked out about our upcoming comparative sac though, because it's in 4 weeks, and we're only halfway through yow

biology: we've moved onto evolution! we have both a test and a sac soon, so i hope they'll be ok. not going to lie though, i'm kind of getting tired of all of bio's content lol – now i realise what people meant by 'it's so content heavy' – this stuff is neverending! D: *it's ok, we can plough through it !!

chemistry: we've finished with learning about spectroscopy, nmr and all that stuff, but i'm still slightly confused between spectroscopy and spectrometry :/ – i believe we'll be moving onto food chem next? we'll see how that goes!! also, i'm doing the chemistry olympiad next week [size=8pt(]why did i sign up for this)/size] does anyone have any tips? :P

further: we have moved onto geometry! last topic blesssss!

methods: we're continuing with probability (one of my least favourite topics) :(. we also recently had a maths test, and i know i did really poorly even though i shouldn't have, bc i studied for it!!! aksdjs

~ i feel like every week my updates are all the same lolol, is there anything else you guys would like to see?  ~

byeee!
also, i'm superrrr worried about the english exam, it's creeping up on us!!!!! :[
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:51:16 pm by pugs »

2019 vce journal here

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 05:16:52 pm »
+1
biology: we've moved onto evolution! we have both a test and a sac soon, so i hope they'll be ok. not going to lie though, i'm kind of getting tired of all of bio's content lol – now i realise what people meant by 'it's so content heavy' – this stuff is neverending! D: *it's ok, we can plough through it !!

What a mood!