Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:19 am

Author Topic: Should I do AUSLAN?  (Read 4473 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Should I do AUSLAN?
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:54:04 pm »
+1
Hello everyone,
I am a year 10 student this year. I am wondering if VCE AUSLAN might be the right subject for me next year and how I might go about doing it as it is not offered at my school?

For context... I work as a carer and am very involved in the disability community. At work I use some key signing and some auslan. I have been doing community classes on and off for three years.

Do you believe that I am ready to do AUSLAN as a VCE student? Any insight would be appreciated!

antigony

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Should I do AUSLAN?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:01:30 pm »
+3
I'm not doing AUSLAN myself, but I thought you might find this link and this link helpful, in regards to where you could take classes. You sound dedicated to your work and I imagine it'd be great to have some extra formal training in sign language, so I would definitely consider taking the subject! Good luck :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
I'm not doing AUSLAN myself, but I thought you might find this link and this link helpful, in regards to where you could take classes. You sound dedicated to your work and I imagine it'd be great to have some extra formal training in sign language, so I would definitely consider taking the subject! Good luck :)

Really appreciate your help. I had seen the VCD link last year, but this post prompted me to inquire as to whether they will be running the course again as the only records I can find are from before 2017.

Thank you!!

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 05:00:17 pm »
+5
Hello everyone,
I am a year 10 student this year. I am wondering if VCE AUSLAN might be the right subject for me next year and how I might go about doing it as it is not offered at my school?

For context... I work as a carer and am very involved in the disability community. At work I use some key signing and some auslan. I have been doing community classes on and off for three years.

Do you believe that I am ready to do AUSLAN as a VCE student? Any insight would be appreciated!
Absolutely yes definitely! :D

I studied Auslan at uni and it was incredibly enjoyable to learn. I'm also a big advocate for having at least one 'non-classroom' subject in Year 12 (e.g. Art, Music, PE, Marine Biology, etc.) to give each school week some variety. Plus, your interest and prior experience would already set you up well for this subject, and it sounds like something that could be useful to you later in life (the holy grail of VCE subjects!!)

Unfortunately the DECV and their LOTE-offshoot VSL don't offer Auslan, so your best bet is to try one (or both) of the options here.

The first link has an application form for 2019, but if you're able to fill out the form anyway, they might just accept it for Units 1&2 in 2020. Either way, it's worth sending an email to the VCD and to Forest Hill to inquire about 2020 entry.

The only other thing I could suggest is potentially arranging to study Auslan at another nearby school - you'd probably need to do all sorts of paperwork with your VCE coordinators, but I have heard of a couple of students doing this. As of 2018, your options would be:

Fingers crossed either VCD or Forest Hill get back to you with an answer! :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:12:54 am »
Absolutely yes definitely! :D

I studied Auslan at uni and it was incredibly enjoyable to learn. I'm also a big advocate for having at least one 'non-classroom' subject in Year 12 (e.g. Art, Music, PE, Marine Biology, etc.) to give each school week some variety. Plus, your interest and prior experience would already set you up well for this subject, and it sounds like something that could be useful to you later in life (the holy grail of VCE subjects!!)

Unfortunately the DECV and their LOTE-offshoot VSL don't offer Auslan, so your best bet is to try one (or both) of the options here.

The first link has an application form for 2019, but if you're able to fill out the form anyway, they might just accept it for Units 1&2 in 2020. Either way, it's worth sending an email to the VCD and to Forest Hill to inquire about 2020 entry.

The only other thing I could suggest is potentially arranging to study Auslan at another nearby school - you'd probably need to do all sorts of paperwork with your VCE coordinators, but I have heard of a couple of students doing this. As of 2018, your options would be:

Fingers crossed either VCD or Forest Hill get back to you with an answer! :)

Thank you! <3