Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:40 am

Author Topic: Subjects to chose for Law.  (Read 2769 times)  Share 

EmilyRoseLamb

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Subjects to chose for Law.
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:35:51 pm »
It's come time for me to submit my subjects for year 11; when I complete VCE I hope to study Law. I would appreciate some input into my current subject choices. I understand that I need to enjoy these subjects, which I do, as my greatest strengths lay in the written word (Literature, debating, constructing arguments.) so naturally, I love participating in this type of activity the most. I also enjoy Maths and Science. In year 10 I have begun History and Biology units 1&2, however have decided not to continue them due to other subject preferences, however I would love to know your thoughts.
So here's what I am thinking...

Math Methods
English Literature
Legal Studies
Psychology
Global Politics
Physics

I understand about subject scaling, will these subjects allow me to maximise my ATAR? As many Law University courses require an ATAR of 90 or above. Also, are these good foundation subjects for Law? Is there anybody who has gone on to study Law that can give me some advice?

Thank you!
Tutoring Global Politics (44) and Legal Studies (47). PM for information.

ATAR 2016: 97.00

Monash Law(Hons)/Arts, 80+ WAM.

walkec

Re: Subjects to chose for Law.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:24:09 pm »
It's come time for me to submit my subjects for year 11; when I complete VCE I hope to study Law. I would appreciate some input into my current subject choices. I understand that I need to enjoy these subjects, which I do, as my greatest strengths lay in the written word (Literature, debating, constructing arguments.) so naturally, I love participating in this type of activity the most. I also enjoy Maths and Science. In year 10 I have begun History and Biology units 1&2, however have decided not to continue them due to other subject preferences, however I would love to know your thoughts.
So here's what I am thinking...

Math Methods
English Literature
Legal Studies
Psychology
Global Politics
Physics

I understand about subject scaling, will these subjects allow me to maximise my ATAR? As many Law University courses require an ATAR of 90 or above. Also, are these good foundation subjects for Law? Is there anybody who has gone on to study Law that can give me some advice?

Thank you!

If you're a strong English student, then taking Literature is a good option. You could also consider taking two English subjects. I have had friends go onto study law and they have told me that Legal Studies in VCE doesn't really help you out in a Law degree, so don't feel like it is crucial that you take Legal Studies if you plan to study Law in the future. Global Politics is also probably a good choice too to get a wider view on world issues (correct me if I am incorrect, G. Pol students?)

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 10:36:58 pm »
+2
ATAR-maximising subjects will be those that you are good at and enjoy.

Policy-based subjects, and essay-writing ones, may be beneficial - but it's not really important what you take.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:44 pm »
I would also choose another English subject. Why not play to your strengths as much as possible?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️