Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:05 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231994 times)

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4185 on: October 17, 2018, 10:20:45 am »
Discovery

Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D

Maybe aim to do related twice if you get time, if not then what you have it good. Don't rush through to try and get lots written, its about writing it well
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4186 on: October 17, 2018, 10:23:38 am »
That structure can definitely work if you feel comfortable with it. You are allowed to push prescribed related text ratio to 60:40 and that's fine. In the end you should just do what feels right to you.
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #4187 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:07 am »
Discovery

Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D
Hey!
I second the above answer ^^
If you have enough time, try to include that second related paragraph as it balances out your essay.
Although if you don't feel like you can write a decent paragraph because of time, then definitely the second related paragraph is what you should drop (And as you said by doing so it will become: Intro, perscribed, related, perscribed, conclusion). You'll still get a good mark for this (i got 11 or 12 in the trial for the 3 body paragraph structure).
Remember though, if they specify AT LEAST TWO related texts for the essay, then you have to do two related parargaphs in order to actually answer the question. Essentially your body structure would become:
Perscribed
Realted 1
Perscribed
Related 2
Good luck tommorrow!  ;D

What is the possibility of asking for 2 related for mod c!?
I don't believe they're actually allowed to, unlike in discovery.
And even if they are, i've not come across a paper which specifies AT LEAST TWO for mod c
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4188 on: October 17, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
Hi!

So i had to do 2 discovery related texts for trials, and i actually prefer it that way. The issue is, if the exam q does not say "at least one" and just says "one" does that mean i can't use two?

I prefer using 2 related as i feel like the themes i discuss in each body paragraph fit with each other a lot more. If i were to just use one, three of the bodies would be on political discoveries, and 1 on personal relationships. One my my friends told me it might actually be better if i had a random personal paragraph, as it would give me more variety, but i'm not sure. Thoughts?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4189 on: October 17, 2018, 10:38:56 am »
+1
Hi!

So i had to do 2 discovery related texts for trials, and i actually prefer it that way. The issue is, if the exam q does not say "at least one" and just says "one" does that mean i can't use two?

I prefer using 2 related as i feel like the themes i discuss in each body paragraph fit with each other a lot more. If i were to just use one, three of the bodies would be on political discoveries, and 1 on personal relationships. One my my friends told me it might actually be better if i had a random personal paragraph, as it would give me more variety, but i'm not sure. Thoughts?
If the question says AT LEAST ONE and you feel more comfortable with doing two, then go for it!
At the end of the day, do whatever you feel most comfortable with!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Lilabear123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4190 on: October 17, 2018, 11:06:16 am »
If the question says AT LEAST ONE and you feel more comfortable with doing two, then go for it!
At the end of the day, do whatever you feel most comfortable with!  ;D

Thanks!! Just to clarify, i can't do two if it says "one other text"?

caitlin.micallef

• Adventurer
« Reply #4191 on: October 17, 2018, 11:08:29 am »
Thanks!

caitlin.micallef

• Adventurer
« Reply #4192 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:08 am »
Thanks!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4193 on: October 17, 2018, 11:10:52 am »
+1
Thanks!! Just to clarify, i can't do two if it says "one other text"?
I don't believe so, if it just says "ONE other text" or something it's only asking for one. Thats the way i see it
When it says AT LEAST one other text, thats when its flexible.

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4194 on: October 17, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
Hey guys,

just wondering -

when I mention a quote; do I put the full stop, in the quotation or after i close the quotation?

ty

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4195 on: October 17, 2018, 05:14:23 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

just wondering -

when I mention a quote; do I put the full stop, in the quotation or after i close the quotation?

ty

Hey, zanibalh!

The full stop goes inside the quotation  :) Good idea checking up on this because it makes the difference. Good luck with your exams!  8)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Mate2425

• Trendsetter
  • "A rolling stone, gathers no moss!"
« Reply #4196 on: October 17, 2018, 06:32:35 pm »
Hey guys when they say, Use ONE of the following statements as the central idea for a piece of imaginative
writing exploring the complex nature of discovery.

Do you have to write that statement in your creative or can you use as a platform for your ideas for creative.
Thank you.

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4197 on: October 17, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »
Is it fine to write essay plans on the same exam booklet as the essay?
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4198 on: October 17, 2018, 07:29:05 pm »
+1
Is it fine to write essay plans on the same exam booklet as the essay?

Yes, if you don't finish the essay these will be marked and they will account for them
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4199 on: October 17, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
Hey guys when they say, Use ONE of the following statements as the central idea for a piece of imaginative
writing exploring the complex nature of discovery.

Do you have to write that statement in your creative or can you use as a platform for your ideas for creative.
Thank you.

You don't have to quote it unless it says so
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2