Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:08 pm

Author Topic: Physical Education [3/4] Question Thread  (Read 44030 times)  Share 

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Physical Education [3/4] Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 04:19:59 pm »
+5
Hey! To the P.E. students!
I've noticed a lot of users floating around this thread today, but no posts - PE is tomorrow, so don't be afraid to ask questions and bump this thread! It's only quiet because no-one's been brave enough to ask for a long while.

I'll be staying tonight until around 9PM so if you feel uncertain about anything, speak up and have it answered.

Edit: I'll also be checking in tomorrow morning, so any last-minute questions I can do my best to help out with.
Best of luck to you all.

To any guests lurking around, feel free to make an account and chip in. :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:21:56 pm by secretly_a_poet »
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

leo0008

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »
Hey
Could you pls explain to me about the concept of moment of inertia and how it is shown in sporting situations

Much appreciated

Cyka

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
+7
As you've probably heard, moment of inertia is the tendancy of a body to resist change in its rotary motion. What's important to know about it for the exam is how it is manipulated to improve performance. For example, a child who is playing baseball will usually use a lighter and shorter bat. By having the bat's mass closer to the axis of rotation, we are able to reduce the radius of rotation of the bat. Combined with a reduced mass, the moment of inertia of the bat will be reduced since moment of inertia = mass x radius^2. This reduced moment of inertia of the bat will make it easier for the child to swing and control, assisting in the child's performance.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 07:10:27 pm »
+6
Hey
Could you pls explain to me about the concept of moment of inertia and how it is shown in sporting situations

Much appreciated
Hi!
Okay, so moment of inertia is the point in a motion where there is the most resistance for an object to move around a rotational axis point. When a gymnast flips around a bar, they tuck themselves in to flip fast around the bottom, then extend their body to a handstand position on the top of the bar before falling and curling in on themselves again. The highest moment of inertia is the point where the gymnast's body is outstretched, increasing its length and therefore increasing his radius (or the size of) his rotation. This also means that, at the point of highest moment of inertia, the gymnast is at his lowest angular velocity, and vice versa. Hopefully that's clear.

leo0008

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 08:00:54 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.

Also on the sample exam on the VCAA website, there are a few questions which talk about the physiological, psychological and sociocultural perspectives/factors, these normally relate to questions for fitness testing/assessment considerations. Could you please expand on this?

Thanks again.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »
+5
Thanks for the help guys.

Also on the sample exam on the VCAA website, there are a few questions which talk about the physiological, psychological and sociocultural perspectives/factors, these normally relate to questions for fitness testing/assessment considerations. Could you please expand on this?

Thanks again.

In fitness testing, often the assessor is looking for things like the performer's psychological fitness as well as their physical. Let's make an example of question 10 on VCAA's sample exam. "Judy" is a 55 year-old woman. If we look at the skin-fold test, will this be culturally appropriate for a male to measure; will Judy feel ashamed of her body? Would this be private or a group matter? Was Judy ever encouraged to play sport or stay fit as a child? Will a 55 year-old woman, who hasn't exercised much in 10 years, be able to run the Cooper's 12-minute run without injuring herself? When faced with a run like that, will Judy feel intimidated or give up part-way through? We're looking at her mental ability to deal with the rigors of training, as well as her physical, and even the way she was brought up; sociocultural differences. This is what VCAA wants you to know - this is measuring someone's ability to work through tests and deciding whether they are fit enough (relating to training principles like specificity and individuality). Try highlighting the key words in questions, and pick them apart. Find where each mark is allocated and make sure you give an in-depth response.

anj_n

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 08:39:58 pm »
Hi there!
my PE exam will be the first one i have I'm really nervous and I have studied a lot but I'm still confused by the lactate inflection point!?  :o 
I know that its the highest point where lactate production = lactate removal but how is it improved aerobically by enzymes? Do you think we need to know that specifically in depth?
Thanks!

dimenc

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 08:44:43 pm »
+1
i would just know that through aerobic training, you are able to improve your LIP, just like how completing things such as medium interval can improve lactate tolerance etc. I don't think you would ever be asked to say the actual science behind that.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:17 pm »
+4
Hi there!
my PE exam will be the first one i have I'm really nervous and I have studied a lot but I'm still confused by the lactate inflection point!?  :o 
I know that its the highest point where lactate production = lactate removal but how is it improved aerobically by enzymes? Do you think we need to know that specifically in depth?
Thanks!
Hiya!
Okay so first of all, you got this. It's okay to be nervous, but you've studied heaps - you'll do great!
Second of all, the lactate inflection point (LIP) can be improved (made more efficient at removing lactate) through aerobic training because the concentration of oxidative enzymes (the ones that help remove H+ ions) increases and with it the body's tolerance to lactate. However, this isn’t necessary knowledge. If you haven’t already, I recommend reading through the study design (both key knowledge and key skills!) to see what’s necessary. LIP may come up, but it’s not specifically listed. You’ll be okay with the basics. :)

qui0059

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 08:52:07 pm »
What did everyone wrote for the big 8 mark question?

AmyDottie

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »
Hi,

Can someone please give an example relating to each of the 3 of Newton's Laws in a footy kick?

EXAMPLE
1st Law can be seen as ball continues travelling in a horizontal range until it is acted upon by external force,  gravity

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2019, 10:43:46 pm »
+4
Hi,

Can someone please give an example relating to each of the 3 of Newton's Laws in a footy kick?

EXAMPLE
1st Law can be seen as ball continues travelling in a horizontal range until it is acted upon by external force,  gravity

Hi Amy,

You've got the first law right, that's a decent example.

It may be easier for you to simplify the laws before finding examples. So, Newton's first law is the law of inertia. The second law is the law of force. The third is that, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, almost like a trade in energy.

In football, we can see inertia in the way a ball flies, it's trajectory, when kicked. The trajectory will curve and/or be interrupted by external forces such as gravity or another player.

Force, which is calculated by mass x acceleration, can be shown when the ball is hit. Coming into contact with the athlete's foot, which has large mass and force, will generate acceleration in the ball which will create a successful kick.

Newton's Third Law is displayed by the act of kicking the football, (the physical meeting of the player's foot and the ball) where equal force from the other will be placed on both the ball and the player's foot. However, the football's mass is much less than that of the player, making the acceleration of the ball much greater and thus much more noticeable in comparison to the athlete.
This is not to say there is no reaction, but it is much less visible.

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:46:32 pm by Poet »

AmyDottie

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2019, 11:15:44 pm »
Hi Poet,
Thank you so much. I got the first 2, but could you explain the 3 one a little differently. I dont understand it

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2019, 11:38:09 pm »
+4
Hi Poet,
Thank you so much. I got the first 2, but could you explain the 3 one a little differently. I dont understand it
Alright, so imagine the process of kicking a ball in footy. A classic drop-kick involves letting the ball fall while bringing your leg up to meet it. When your foot hits the ball, both feel the impact. Newton's law of action and reaction can be seen when the ball and foot meet. Both feel the effects of meeting each other, but because a person's leg is so much more massive, it will only slow, while the ball will change direction and trajectory completely.

Here's a short clip on Newton's third law. It might help you a little more to think of kicking a ball a like gun recoil. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:42:05 pm by Poet »

AmyDottie

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:26 pm »
+1
Alright, so imagine the process of kicking a ball in footy. A classic drop-kick involves letting the ball fall while bringing your leg up to meet it. When your foot hits the ball, both feel the impact. Newton's law of action and reaction can be seen when the ball and foot meet. Both feel the effects of meeting each other, but because a person's leg is so much more massive, it will only slow, while the ball will change direction and trajectory completely.

Here's a short clip on Newton's third law. It might help you a little more to think of kicking a ball a like gun recoil. :)

thanksss