Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:51:15 pm

Author Topic: EZ's Guide to Succeeding in VCE Literature  (Read 43471 times)  Share 

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
Re: EZ's Guide to Succeeding in VCE Literature
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:25 pm »
+2
I must say, I wish I read this at the start of the year, damn, would have helped me with English!

If you get above 25 I'll slap ya
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:43 pm »
Far our EZ I just love reading everything you write.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:42 am »
Just a question you haven't really covered, how do you structure your essay? I know that it doesn't really have a structure as per the English essays but what do you normally include?

Also, how do you go about analysing the text that you're given and developing your ideas once you're in the exam? How much time do you spend annotating/analysing the text, planning and then writing about your interpretation?
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

jazza97

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 10:40:47 am »
Just a question you haven't really covered, how do you structure your essay? I know that it doesn't really have a structure as per the English essays but what do you normally include?

Also, how do you go about analysing the text that you're given and developing your ideas once you're in the exam? How much time do you spend annotating/analysing the text, planning and then writing about your interpretation?

Unlike English, there really is no structure-what is important is that your essay flows through a line of argument and interpretation on the passages.  This is what examiners will look for.  Some people like to write intros to set up their thoughts but others, like me and EZ as well i think, don't use them.  Try to find the major ideas that connect the three passages and then extend from that-the impact, consequences etc..

By the exam, you'll have had so much practice at it that you will formulate ideas in your head during reading time and having studid the text for the whole year the ideas and characters will be so familiar to you.  The main challenge in the exam is writing with fluency and clarity.  I would spend no more than 5 minutes jotting down an outline of your essay.  Don't annotate line by line in the exam, you will waste valuable writing time-do this mentally during reading time.

TUTORING ENGLISH IN 2013-UniMelb, State Library and Doncaster Library
Study Score of 49
Language Analysis~~Encountering Conflict~~Text Response (will read all texts that i haven't studied)
PM me to register interest!