Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:06:33 am

Author Topic: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce  (Read 45458 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 09:31:28 pm »
+6
Hey guys!
Minor update: I am having a really hard time getting motivated this term. The work is already piling up as I've already missed a bunch of classes (after only two days). Any advice?

I was reading this article and the tips seem good. I've been working really hard on sorting out my sleep schedule and drinking more water, so hopefully, I start to see some improvements.

I thoroughly enjoyed community service, and I am so disappointed that it's all over. I am off to the Brain Bee tomorrow (having learnt almost none of the content). There was an 18 chapter book to read, and I have read the introduction and most of the first chapter. I think that I am going to have to wing it at this point, but y'know, not actually super disappointed about that. Was feeling a lot more stressed about it this morning when I was trying to learn everything.

The rest of my week continues to be just as busy with Parent-Teacher interviews on Thursday; Tour Guiding, a Maths test and an event for the school book club on Friday; and production rehearsals pretty much every evening. UGH! Sometimes I just don't have the energy.

Goodnight guys! <3

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 03:27:35 pm »
+2
I don't really want to give you much motivation advice since going by your other threads you're already doing a lot and I don't want to add another thing to juggle. What I will say is that it's ok to not meet most of your goals in a given day and it's ok to struggle. Motivation is fickle, but by working on building better habits you're already helping to nurture it.

Good luck! :)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 05:12:10 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
Minor update: I am having a really hard time getting motivated this term. The work is already piling up as I've already missed a bunch of classes (after only two days).
Same! I feel like I'm already so behind on work.

I am off to the Brain Bee tomorrow (having learnt almost none of the content). There was an 18 chapter book to read, and I have read the introduction and most of the first chapter. I think that I am going to have to wing it at this point, but y'know, not actually super disappointed about that. Was feeling a lot more stressed about it this morning when I was trying to learn everything.
What's that about?

a Maths test.
Which topic, I have a maths test next week.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 05:17:33 pm »
+2
Motivation is fickle, but by working on building better habits you're already helping to nurture it.
Good luck! :)

Thanks Bri!!

What's that about?

It's a competition about neuroscience that involves learning a lot about the brain from this book. It was super difficult, but I actually really enjoyed the day. We got to go on a tour of some labs at Melbourne Uni and see some really interesting research into epilepsy using mice. We also got to go to the Dax Gallery. There were also lots of researchers who spoke about their areas of expertise.

I think that the best bit was the fact that after we have handed in our worksheets (done in an auditorium with a super relaxed feel), they went through the answers so that we learnt something from it.

Which topic, I have a maths test next week.

Probability. (I actually don't have probability so hopefully that will motivate me to do some study.)

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 08:03:45 pm »
+2
Having a great time reading your journal :)

I plan on entering the Brain Bee in Year 10 also! It seems like a really interesting area of science to look into. Did you find passing the first round particularly difficult?
QCE Class of 2023 :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 09:47:17 pm »
+1
Having a great time reading your journal :)

I plan on entering the Brain Bee in Year 10 also! It seems like a really interesting area of science to look into. Did you find passing the first round particularly difficult?

I found that the first round was very similar to the preparation that you are given. (In fact, a couple of the questions were identical.) My biggest advice for you would be to start early and work efficiently, as there is a lot to cover.

The day at Melbourne Uni is such a great experience, so I would definitely do your best with the initial study if only to have the tour and get to learn a lot about neuroscience on the day.

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2019, 09:57:35 pm »
+3
The day at Melbourne Uni is such a great experience, so I would definitely do your best with the initial study if only to have the tour and get to learn a lot about neuroscience on the day.
Not sure if I'll be touring unimelb as I'm in Queensland, but I'm sure there will be something similar. Just started to think about studying for it because the online resource we were given for Spanish class also had courses for the 2019 Brain Bee. Currently working through them. In terms of starting early, I may have jumped the gun by about two years, so that could come in handy down the track.

Thanks for sharing your experience; It's been a help :)
QCE Class of 2023 :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2019, 10:01:03 pm »
+2
Not sure if I'll be touring unimelb as I'm in Queensland, but I'm sure there will be something similar. Just started to think about studying for it because the online resource we were given for Spanish class also had courses for the 2019 Brain Bee. Currently working through them. In terms of starting early, I may have jumped the gun by about two years, so that could come in handy down the track.

Thanks for sharing your experience; It's been a help :)

Wow! You certainly are prepared! You'll have to let us know how it goes!

Also, it would be worth noting that they standardised the questions this year across the states (the first time that this has been done) and they were a lot more challenging than previous years. The national organiser said he may have gone a little too far, so hopefully, they have levelled out a little by the time you start. I think that QLD is also slightly less competitive than NSW and VIC due to fewer competitors, so hopefully, that is a small advantage!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 05:42:53 pm »
+5
Hello hello!
What an insane week!! I feel like I was barely at school, and I certainly have a lot of catching up to do.

Where was I and what did I do?
Monday and Tuesday I spent most of the day at community service. It was a really great experience and I wrote a summary for the school newsletter which pretty much describes what it was.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at (the centre) as part of the Year 10 Community Service Program. (the centre) is a pre-prep centre for children who could benefit from another year of kindergarten before they enter primary school. It is a place full of a diverse range of kids with a diverse range of needs and it was so lovely to be a part of. I really enjoyed helping out with their classes, running some basic language activities and playing lots of games with them. It was so wonderful to feel helpful and to be able to see the way that the class teachers incorporated activities that suited every individual. It was so special to build a connection with each of the kids, and the affection and kindness they showed us was priceless. I am so glad that I had to opportunity to be part of the program, and my only complaint is that it wasn't long enough. I am certainly going to miss the kids and the great feeling of volunteering but I am so grateful for the opportunity and all that the children taught me. 

I spent all of Wednesday at The Brain Bee which I've already talked a bit about. No, I did not get around to studying for it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the day regardless.

I was tour-guiding this morning which meant that I missed the first two hours of class. Tour-guiding is always an interesting experience because you never know which kind of parents you will get. Thankfully, today's were really lovely!

My Subjects This Semester
- Unit 2 Bio (same class as last term)
- Unit 2 Religion (same class as last term)
- Advanced Maths (same class as last term)
- English (new teacher and class)
- History (new but same teacher as my hums last semester)
- Forensics (new but same teacher as my science last semester)
- All the other things: careers, health and pe (which we do once a week or once every two weeks)

What Did I Get Done At School?
Well... very little really.

I am caught up for English as my class at the end of last term got ahead. We are still only looking at Chapter 1 of To Kill a Mockingbird, but we also spent some time on context.

Maths: I went to Maths Help after school today and I am all caught up. My test is next week in the first lesson back, but I am feeling on top of things. (I managed to move it from today as I had been away.)

For biology, I am a bit behind because I missed three hours but apparently, I have not missed much.

Religion and Society: Completely lost. We have had two lessons and I missed the first one. The second was pretty self-explanatory but all of the handouts make no sense. To make things worse, the teacher hasn't given me my own copy so I can't even go on with them over the weekend.

For forensics, I have a video to watch and a bunch of questions to answer. I also need to finish writing up the pracs we did today in class.

History: My teacher emailed me all the work so I am caught up!

What I Want To Do Over the Weekend:
I am at church tonight and on Sunday morning until 12:30ish. I am also working 8:45-2:45 tomorrow, and I have an interview at 4:00 for Eltham Youth Leadership Council. That leaves Saturday evening, maybe an hour on Sunday morning and then Sunday afternoon and evening.

In that time I want to:
- Read and annotate TKAMB Chapters 2-5 and read the summaries we were given in class. I also want to finish off the questions about Chapter 2 and write my own chapter summaries about all that I have read.
- Finish Chapter 2 of Bio Basics and work through the powerpoint I missed in class. (And also work through the four worksheets that I missed in class.)
- Write up my science prac report and finish a glossary of forensic terms. Also, watch the last video that I missed and fill in that worksheet.
- Read over my maths notes in preparation for the test and maybe do some practice problems.

Sending good vibes!
laura <3

brothanathan

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 05:50:59 pm »
+1
What did you miss out on for R&S? Feel free to PM me.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2019, 05:59:04 pm »
What did you miss out on for R&S? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks Nathan! I don't even know what I missed, just the introduction to the ethics topic and the lesson where the teacher explained this half of the course. There is also a booklet of work to do that she still has to print for me. Luckily, I have a grasp on what ethics is, but I just have no idea what work from the booklet I am meant to have done, or how to write up an essay about an ethics topic.

brothanathan

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 07:52:52 pm »
+1
Thanks Nathan! I don't even know what I missed, just the introduction to the ethics topic and the lesson where the teacher explained this half of the course. There is also a booklet of work to do that she still has to print for me. Luckily, I have a grasp on what ethics is, but I just have no idea what work from the booklet I am meant to have done, or how to write up an essay about an ethics topic.

I suggest having a look at the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights pdf attached if you haven't already, cause we have to base our reasoning on it. I've also attached a list of terms for the ethics topic so far. The definitions are all from the Nelson textbook (reliable according to my teacher). The ones I haven't typed a definition down aren't in the glossary so I advise creating a definition and getting it checked.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:58:35 pm by brothanathan »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2019, 10:08:50 pm »
+1
I suggest having a look at the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights pdf attached if you haven't already, cause we have to base our reasoning on it. I've also attached a list of terms for the ethics topic so far. The definitions are all from the Nelson textbook (reliable according to my teacher). The ones I haven't typed a definition down aren't in the glossary so I advise creating a definition and getting it checked.

Really appreciate it!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:14:07 am »
+2
What did I actually get done over the weekend?

- Read and annotate TKAMB Chapters 2-5 and read the summaries we were given in class. I also want to finish off the questions about Chapter 2 and write my own chapter summaries about all that I have read.
I finished the Chapter 2 questions, but I only read up to Chapter 3.
- Finish Chapter 2 of Bio Basics and work through the powerpoint I missed in class. (And also work through the four worksheets that I missed in class.)
Did the other stuff, but procrastination and a strong dislike for powerpoints mean I still urgently need to do this.
- Write up my science prac report and finish a glossary of forensic terms. Also, watch the last video that I missed and fill in that worksheet.
Really need to get around to this!
- Read over my maths notes in preparation for the test and maybe do some practice problems.
My test is actually on Tuesday, so I guess I still have tonight.

Sending good vibes!
laura <3

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 06:34:25 pm »
+8
What a week! It was extremely intense, but I really enjoyed it!

MY WEEK
Monday
- I had community service in the afternoon, my last session for the year. I got to spend lots of time with the kids and I was invited back to do some extra stuff there in my free time if I feel like it.
- I felt fairly productive today.

Tuesday
- I was at school all day. (A first for the term!)
- I had a rehearsal for the school production after school.

Wednesday
- Once again, I spent a whole day at school.
- I managed to catch up on everything that I was behind in.
- Had a very long-overdue dentist appointment.
- In terms of getting things done and being productive, I gave myself 10/10.

Thursday
- It was Founders Day at school! (AKA. the best day of the year!) It was fantastic because we didn't have any classes. There was really good food that you could get at lunch and it ended with the House Spirit assembly, where my friend and I were on the trivia team.
- I watched a fair bit of TV, but didn't have much homework, so it was fine.

Friday
- I had a dress rehearsal for the school production all day! It was hectic but everything really seemed to come together. My voice was super hoarse at the end thanks to all the singing and shouting my character did.
- Spent the evening hanging out with friends and not doing homework, but I really enjoyed it.
- I felt super exhausted.

Saturday
- I got up early and did some volunteer respite care. I then did my paid carer job in the afternoon. I took my little friend on a very long bike ride and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.
- I made some soup (pumpkin and carrot) to take to my grandparents.

Sunday
- I went to church and spent some time making hot drinks for people.
- I visited a lady from church who's in hospital due to her disability. It was great to see her and I think that I will try to make it a regular thing as she seemed to enjoy it and will be spending quite a while longer there.
- Hoping to get some stuff done tonight, but there is a new episode of Survivor so we’ll see…

My goals for the upcoming week:
1. To survive the production. To do my best at the performances and enjoy myself!
2. To stay on top of work for my english class, history class, forensics class and religion class. I will focus on biology and maths the week after.
3. To continue working on my Auslan.
4. To do my best at all my other commitments this week (Monday: debating, a secret topic round, Tuesday: Eltham Youth Leadership Council, Thursday-Saturday: production, Sunday: visiting my friend from the hospital).
5. To get an A* on the religion test that is most likely this week. (if not, this can be a goal for next week)