Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:15:45 am

Author Topic: chooby's VCE Journal  (Read 7925 times)

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +47
chooby's VCE Journal
« on: January 06, 2018, 06:55:23 pm »
+17
Yo! I'm not sure how to really format this but I'll give it my best shot. Very much inspired by sarangiya's journal.

Who am I and what am I doing?
So I'm chooby and I'm going into Year 12 next year this year! I'm a huge science and music nerd so yeah! Don't have a job.. or my L's.. but I do volunteer work at my church. I've tried to do this sort of thing before in the communal journal where I posted every day to keep myself accountable for Biology but after burning out I completely ditched it. But I do want to keep a record of how my VCE goes still though so I'm going to try and post weekly rather than daily so I don't feel as pressured to post. This also increases my post count and I like the instant gratification.

How did you go for your 1/2's last year?
Heh. My 1/2 subjects. Chemistry was my best subject of that year and apparently, I was close to getting the dux for that subject so that only motivates me more to do well on the subject! Methods was alright, pretty decent grades but after the Orientation period, I'm definitely going to need help with application style stuff. Physics started out rough because I never really saw myself being a Physics person, it was always either you're a Biology person or a Physics person but after a while and some effort I began to really like the subject. Then comes English. English didn't get a happy ending like the rest of my subjects. It really started off with Frankenstein, our first text into English and I absolutely hated it and barely passed the SAC. From there I had to trudge through the rest of the texts and SACs and I barely got the S for Unit 1 and Unit 2.

How did you feel about Bio 3/4 last year?
Biology for me was a must do subject because I have always wanted to work in a medical field from primary school. Starting off, I was fine and I was doing well in SACs and getting concepts and understanding how VCE exams work but around mid-year, I burnt out. Part of it was the mindset that Biology was my number one priority so I neglected my other subjects and too much stress built. Another factor was being too ambitious with my co-curricular activities and it was overwhelming to keep up with all of it as well as with my studies. Soon after I quit everything and before the second semester and took the holidays to reassess what I need to do. After burning out, it was hard to actually get back into studying until late Term 3. By the time exams came up, I was so done with Biology that I wanted to just get the exam done and over with. I'm content with my score, I feel as if it reflects the effort I put in but I know that my effort wasn't at full potential and I don't want to make that mistake again.

My Goals and Aspirations
After being so close to a 40 in Biology, my main goal is to get a 40 study score minimum for all my subjects except for Chemistry, hope I get a 50 there. The main goal outside of school and academics is to keep up my music, volunteering at church. and hopefully the acapella group I'm in can win the 3rd division for Generations in Jazz so I'm just practicing over holidays trying my best to learn the pieces.

Now with that out of the way, let's get to the first weekly post.

2017/2018 : Week 1 : 30th of Dec to 6th of Jan
School ended around mid-December for me and they gave us a ton of holiday homework. I wanted to get a solid start and complete all of it before school begins at the end of Jan. After taking a week to procrastinate to plan out, I made a list of all the work I need to do and then divided it so that different parts were due every week, basically creating my own deadlines. Currently, three weeks in and I'm starting to falter. The English story outlines are getting to me and I don't know how precise they want summaries to be but I'm still holding and barely keeping up. Christmas and New Year's was fun and all the major events will be happening in the coming few weeks. I've got ATAR Notes Lectures this coming Monday and Tuesday so I'll be going to those, going karaoke with friends I haven't seen in about a year, University Extension orientation day in two weeks, doing my second volunteer service of the year at church after ditching everything mid last year and I'm going to a friend's 18th! Just trying to cram as many events as possible before school starts and the shutting myself in my study desk begins. Yeah apart from that, I went to Daiso and got myself a cheap whiteboard so now I can keep a daily to-do list that tackles what I need to study on that day as well as what tasks from the homework list should be completed by that day. I'm also in my final week of a 7-week habit break to start exercising. Basically, a small bodyweight routine that I do every day / every second day where every 2 - 3 weeks I increase the reps I do. I'm definitely noticing some huge improvements in just how much easier the exercise routine is as well as some muscle growth so that's pretty good. Still not a lot of fo fat loss but I'll keep persevering. Anyways I think that's basically all I've done so far, I'll update you guys again next week! Bye!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:06:01 pm by chooby »
"It's not the building that matters; it's what happens in it that does" ~ Mark Conner

2017 | Biology [38]
2018 | English [] Methods [] Chemistry [] Physics [] MUEP Chemistry []

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: chooby's VCE Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:48:12 pm »
+6
Shaping up to be a great journal, looking forward to reading your future updates and good luck for year 12! :)

Any ideas on what you want to do after year 12? (It’s totally fine if you have no idea ;))
UAdel MBBS

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:14:27 pm »
+3
Biology is so hard to get 40+ in; congratulations on your great score.
I'm going to lectures on Monday and Tuesday too! :D
Looking forward to future updates  ;D
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:53:47 am »
+4
Any ideas on what you want to do after year 12? (It’s totally fine if you have no idea ;))

University wise and stuff, I'm looking into Engineering and Biomed at Monash, but I'm still looking around at other unis and other courses. Probably going to do UMAT incase I do want to go into Medicine. Outside of that, I'm looking at travelling to either Queensland or Japan at the end of the year just as a small holiday before university kicks in. (I swear everyone travels to Japan)

Shaping up to be a great journal, looking forward to reading your future updates and good luck for year 12! :)
Biology is so hard to get 40+ in; congratulations on your great score.
I'm going to lectures on Monday and Tuesday too! :D
Looking forward to future updates  ;D
Thanks for the support guys! Sorry I missed out on posting yesterday, was gone for the majority of the day doing volunteer work but I'll see if I can remember what I've done this past week.

2018 : Week 2 : 7th of Jan to 13th of Jan
Sunday : 7th of Jan
I went to the sleepover at my friend's that day with the intention that we'd be able to do some Chemistry work, however, like most sleepovers, work never happens. We were able to cook He was able to cook an amazing dinner since he works in a restaurant and actually likes working in the back of the kitchen so definitely grateful for that. We then proceeded to watch an entire playlist of comedy acts until around 2:00 am, slowly pushing back the time when we said we'll go to sleep. In retrospect, it was a good relaxation period for what was to come in the following two days.

Monday : 8th of Jan
The first day of ATAR Note's Headstart Lectures and I was truly thrilled to attend these lectures. Motivation was at an all-time high and I was fully booked for doing English and Physics. My friend's parents were able to drop us right off at the city, mainly to avoid the bus replacements happening with PTV and we proceeded to almost being late to the first lecture by walking towards the wrong street. I honestly really liked the English and Physics lectures, they were super helpful in getting a good understanding as to what's coming and how to prepare effectively so if any future Year 12's are reading this, (probably very low chance of that happening), go to these lectures! Highly recommend it! Afterwards, we were going to go karaoke, but the whole group changed their minds last minute so we went strike bowling instead up until 8:00 pm when we all went home together.

Tuesday : 9th of Jan

The headstart lectures I was attending on these days were Chemistry and Methods and would highly recommend these lectures too! I took the replacement buses this time and was able to meet up with a few friends along the way so that was comforting, to say the least. Chemistry was a very intense lecture but the good type of intense where it's so in the zone. Methods lecture was pretty good too! I heard from a lot of people that it basically only covered Unit 1 and 2 content, and they were right for the most part. A lot of my friends didn't bother signing up after hearing it but there was some good insight and it's better to get the practice in then rather than in the middle of class. Now the tricky part was trying to get home. Since the friends that went with me in the morning didn't go the lecture, they were able to get home before peak hour and I did not want to get stuck in a replacement bus during peak hour. I decided to take a long way around with some other friends taking the Glen line, then a bus to Springvale and finally take a train from there.

Wednesday and Thursday
After two days of lectures, I really didn't do much work on these days. Just slowly working through my homework list for that week.

Friday : 12th of Jan
Ahh crap. I left a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be done this week 'til the last minute, one of them obviously being another short story outline. I basically spent the whole day panicking and trying to frantically complete each task but in the end, I only managed to get the Chemistry slide summaries and the Physics worksheet done, at least I thought I did.

Saturday : 13th of Jan
I woke up that morning and decided to check the course timelines and at the assigned holiday homework and low and behold, there's a second part to the Physics worksheet I thought I had completed and an entirely new powerpoint on Chemistry Biofuels I hadn't seen. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..
I completed the Physics worksheet pretty easily because it was mainly on impulse but I decided to put the powerpoint off 'til after volunteer work. Arrived at about 2:30 in the afternoon and left 8:00 pm pretty satisfied. Now it was crunch time. I was able to complete the story outline first which I'm surprised about and I found that the school has annotation vid which is basically one of the teachers going through the short story outlining different points and their significance which is really helping to get a starting point and now I only have two things left to do for the next day.

Now that that's done withGoing to try and complete the Edrolo summaries and the Chemistry slide summaries today and I'll finally be finished playing catch up. Also going to try and complete this week's short story outline now knowing those videos exist and how they are actually super helpful. Just playing around with the format of this as well, trying to see what suits best. Probably going to try a different format next time. Anyways I'll post again next week so I'll see you guys then!!

Also is anyone else getting this there where the white background of the text is constantly moving diagonally across the screen 'cause it's getting pretty annoying?
"It's not the building that matters; it's what happens in it that does" ~ Mark Conner

2017 | Biology [38]

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 01:21:51 am »
+5
AAaah! I've forgotten to do this again :(. Feeling pretty lazy so here's a pretty lazy format (at least compared to my last two posts)
2018 : Week 3 : 14th of Jan to 20th of Jan

Stuff involving school work and being productive and stuff
  • Was able to complete the overdue homework in about a day
  • Trying to do the story outline first didn't work. Ended pushing everything else back to try and get this done first and I ended up being unproductive for most of this week
  • Currently behind on Methods and Chemistry work that was due last Friday
  • Almost finished the Methods holiday homework, just need to do a few more questions
  • Went to Uni Extension Orientation at Monash. I had a great time personally and I'm pumped to start the subject this year! (if anyone was there and doing Uni Chem, message me pls)
  • Going to try and write another piece as practice for English Creative SAC
  • Still yet to choose which class I have a permanent spot for Tutesmart
  • Also, I'm about 1/3 of the way through annotating Burial Rites, If I"m able to do 20 pages a day, I should be done and fully annotated by around the first week of school so that's pretty hype.

Events and Life stuff that doesn't necessarily involve VCE
  • Went to a friend's 18th party! They go to the school I left so it was nice seeing everyone again after 2 - 3 ish years. It's going to be the first of many 18th parties.
  • Pretty much fallen in love with Offline TV so I've been just watching a bunch of stream highlights and its also pretty hype.
  • Finally got around to watching 'Your Name' and I lOVE IT SOO MUCHH AAH!! I haven't seen much anime since Year 9 so watching this is actually really nice. Might watch some Food Wars after or another anime movie, don't know yet.
  • Also been playing Cookie Clicker again just to relive my Year 10 glory days. Not sure whether it's good but currently at 151 prestige level
  • Been faltering on my diet a lot so going to try and build my discipline over this week
  • I need to start sleeping earlier :\

Yeah, that's all from me. Not much left to do homework wise so I'm going to try and finish off any homework and be all caught by around Monday!!
See you guys then!

EDIT: I put everything on a list and it looks like it's working on preview but when I post it that all seems to go so yea :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:25:59 am by chooby »

2017 | Biology [38]

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:18:07 pm »
+6
2018 : Week 4 : 21st of Jan to 27th of Jan
The last post before school starts next week so let's do this!! This week was pretty uneventful so I'm going to try doing large paragraphs again.

Started this week trying to finish last week's work which was a lot less than I thought it would be. Just needed to complete Chapter 1 Chemistry questions and complete the Orientation Methods Supp work and after that, I just had to complete a bunch of summaries for slides, a few worksheets and another story outline for Rankin's Point for this week. I actually really liked Rankin's point despite being a larger short story. The themes displayed were a lot darker and I guess it wasn't as typical as the last 3 short stories. I'm glad I've finished pretty much all of my holiday homework. Now I can just touch some things up, get ahead for Uni Chem, continue reading my texts for English and hopefully watch The Greatest Showman before school starts! I've taken up the advice from the annotating book thread and have started a quote bank for Burial Rites and can vouch that it is such a good idea especially if you do it in Excel or Google Sheets. That way you can set it up so you can filter out and isolate certain themes, characters and chapters making it super easy to navigate and find information so thanks to sophomania for that suggestion!

Currently procrastinating on writing another short story but I think I finally have an idea I can get behind and links in the themes of 'Island'. I'll post it on ATARNotes for feedback soon!

Saw a bunch of other journals like Philboi and Lear do this as well so I want to keep my initial goals here and see how they feel as this year progresses. I guess these are just raw scores?
English [40]
Methods [42]
Chemistry [50]
Physics [45]
MUEP Chemistry [90% = 5.0]

I know these are pretty high goals but where I'm standing right now, I'm pretty confident in myself. I've set myself up by actually reading my texts and doing the holiday homework and I really believe I can do this!

I've also been thinking of writing a huge post of advice for Biology 3/4 based on all the mistakes I made (unfortunately there's a lot of those). Now that it's been about 2 months since the exam, I've been able to reflect on what I could've done much better with a bit of effort such as having an updated glossary throughout the year or actually identifying what mistakes I made on practice exams and focusing on those rather than looking at only the score. Not sure though, only time will tell.

House Swimming is coming up really soon and I acn't believe this'll be my last on of highschool. While I do participate a lot in actually swimming, I really want to dress up for once this year. As of right now, I'm thinking of some sort of weapons dealer, mafia style, with the whole trench coat, sunglasses and fedora (is that what mafia people wear?) and basically deal out water guns. Seems pretty simple but pretty fun but I also wante dto ask suggestions for you guys. What did y'all dress up fas for House Swimming?

Some other non academic or school related life stuff:
Spoiler
I've really slacked off singing and bass practice these past two weeks but I'm slowly picking it up again. Did some more improv on ukulele with an Overdrive effect which makes it sound like an electric guitar so that's pretty dope. I honestly can't wait for the music program to start back up again at school. It was probably the only thing keeping me sane during a tough school day and I love being part of that community so much.
The diet's going okay, wavered a bit but as much as I expected and I've set up a Term 1 Challenge exercise just to pick up where I left off. Knowing my tight schedule, it won't be every day but around every second day (Wednesday, Friday and Sunday) and I'm trying different bodyweight routines for each of those days just to spice things up.
Still in love with OfflineTV content <3. Might make a Twitch account soon just so I can keep up with what they're all doing.

Anyways I think that's it from me. I'll update you guys next week as to how I spent the last of my holidays and how first week of school went! Bye!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:26:44 pm by chooby »

2017 | Biology [38]

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:10:12 pm »
+3
Those are some high scores Chooby! 50 in chemistry is the dream I’ll definitely be rooting for you. You seem confident and that’s wonderful :)

I hope you’ve had an excellent holiday and wish you luck going into this year.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:00:23 pm »
+2
Those are some high scores Chooby! 50 in chemistry is the dream I’ll definitely be rooting for you. You seem confident and that’s wonderful :)

I hope you’ve had an excellent holiday and wish you luck going into this year.

Thanks :) ! Hope you had an relaxing holiday too! And good luck for your subjects as well, if you ever need help with Chemistry you can always PM me :)

2017 | Biology [38]

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:45:29 pm »
+7
2018 : Week 5 : 28th of Jan to 3rd of Feb
This whole week so far has been pretty chill. That's probably not going to last long...

I started school on Wednesday so I still had a few days of rest while some of my friends were starting already. I spent the rest of my holidays fixing up some of the holiday homework that wasn't up to standard *cough* English story outlines *cough* and I made a list of ways that I could do to get ahead of my studies. Then never touched it ever again. Parents took us to Squeaky Beach for one day and the last few days of were used to do absolutely nothing. Being able to have complete rest was nice to just enjoy myself before the crushing few months of Year 12.

School right now is okay. We've just been recapping what we've already learnt and going over holiday homework for English and Methods and we'll be moving onto new work as of next week. In Chemistry, we're still learning about Hess' Law and manipulation of thermochemical equations. I'm pretty ahead for this subject so I'm going to try and finish off the chapters in thermochem that weren't part of the holiday homework and either look ahead to Galvanic cells and batteries or start doing Checkpoint questions in preparation for the SAC (or both if I can). Within physics, we're starting on circular motion and because of that class, I will never forget the term 'RADIALLY INWARD'. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the teachers in my class and I hope I can ask them questions more often.

The new year 10's coming in this year had their little orientation camp (JMSS starts at Year 10) so I decided to head over with our head of music to help out with the presentation. It's weird being back at the campsite and seeing kids who were in the same position as I was 2 years ago and I'm glad a lot of them were interested in joining the music program, the ensembles and were asking questions about it. Travelling to and from school right now sucks because of the bus replacements. Adds about an extra 30 minutes to the travel and the buses can get really packed during peak hours.

Next week is pretty broken up too. Tuesday we have our (and my last  :'() swimming carnival. Need to find a good costume to wear on the day, I'm going to go out this weekend and try and find something power rangers related but if that doesn't work out I wanted to ask you for any last minute suggestions for a costume, my house colour is BLUE. Wednesday we get a free day off. This'll probably be the last of the free days in a long while so I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I also start MUEP Chemistry on Monday so I'm getting nervously excited about that and I can't wait to jump into it.

Some non-related school stuff can be found here
*Didn't end up watching The Greatest Showman YET. I'm going to watch it soon.
*Diet is going strong but my exercise routine is pretty lacking so I'll need to pick that up. Even if I only do one rep, I'll try and build it up.
*Music program at school hasn't started yet but every one I know is ready to get started and straight into it. :D
*Me and a friend are planning to join my youth group's band so that's pretty cool
*Going to try and move from cameras back onto the lighting desk and re-learn it from scratch.

I just wanted to end this post with Friday.  Ended the week on Friday by going to my youth group at church just to completely unwind. It was such a breathtaking experience to be back and see old friends and not worry about the struggles of school (or worry about it together for a bit) and I just wanted to bring up a point that is close to my heart: Don't give up what you love because of VCE. Sure, VCE is very important and you will have to make sacrifices and drop stuff in order to free up space and time for study but this doesn't mean you have to give up everything. It's why I continue to do music, go to church, youth group and volunteer. When I gave these up mid-2017, I got stuck in the endless cycle of study, eat and sleep where even then, I burnt out. These things, these activities, these moments outside of VCE were what kept me sane. Year 12 only lasts a year and after that, it's over. When you give up everything for VCE, you won't have anything waiting for you afterwards. So whether it's a youth group, a band, a sports team, work, volunteering, a relationship or even spending time with family, don't give it all up. Use it, value it and appreciate the time you spend outside of VCE. Reconnect with the real world outside the studies and live a little.

That's all from me. I'll post again next week :)

2017 | Biology [38]

Yertle the Turtle

• Forum Leader
  • This page is blank
  • Respect: +478
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 03:00:17 pm »
+3
Looking forward to continuing reading this chooby. 50 in Chemistry would be awesome, hope you can achieve the levels you want to in your subjects. I think more people should give themselves final goals to head towards before they start the year, so great job on that.. Great job in Bio as well, a 38 is a pretty good score. Good luck in the Class of '18, chooby! :D
2017-2018: VCE
Methods | Specialist | Physics | Chemistry | English | Texts and Traditions

2019: B. Eng (Hons) | Monash
2019-?: Certificate III  in Bricklaying and Blocklaying

Have counted to 80

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:25:36 am »
+6
Looking forward to continuing reading this chooby. 50 in Chemistry would be awesome, hope you can achieve the levels you want to in your subjects. I think more people should give themselves final goals to head towards before they start the year, so great job on that.. Great job in Bio as well, a 38 is a pretty good score. Good luck in the Class of '18, chooby! :D

Thanks Marvin!! And all the best to you with your final year too! Let's make this one an awesome year :D

2018 : Week 6 : 4th of Feb to 10th of Feb
Started off my week with my first session at Tutesmart!! I'm enrolled in the English class and while I know absolutely no-one there, it's a good opportunity to make some good friends to go through Year 12 English with! As a space, it's really quiet and everyone seems really focused on getting work done which is nice. Definitely going to go more often once bus replacements end.

It's our first official week with the new year 10's and it's pretty great to see that a lot of them have already made friendship groups over orientation camp and how engaged they are with their classes. It's very nostalgic to hear their banter about different subjects and pretty much hearing the same words I said years ago.

School work has still been pretty chill so far. Because of all the missed classes, we've only had one English class this entire week. Mainly just focusing on our Creative SAC and getting drafts in for feedback. They're getting us to focus on the style of writing that MacLeod and right now, the vivid imagery of the landscape. I've got a draft I've typed up but there have been a few context issues with it which I feel like I can resolve pretty easily. Also, need to get back to annotating Burial Rites just so it's done before we do the Creative SAC. In Methods, just moved onto odd and even functions as well as addition of ordinates which was a lot easier than I expected. Not falling behind on homework for this subjects yet and I don't plan to anytime soon. Got a quiz next week so I'm really just studying for that. In Chemistry, we're doing a lot of things in a much different order. We have covered pretty much all of Unit 3 AOS 1 except for fuels so far and have started covering calorimetry so there's that. In Physics, we've just finished pretty much all of circular motion and should be moving onto orbital motion in the next lesson. I'm not really big on the space stuff, and the matter unit in Physics 2 didn't really interest me but just the applications of forces and motions that I can apply keep me engaged and help me recall motion stuff I learnt last year.

We also had our swimming carnival on Tuesday and it was personally awesome. Since it's our cohort's last one, we went full out with the costumes from Fionna and Ice King to the Green Exit Man. The costumes honestly made the day so much more awesome. While I only went for one of the competitive (relay and we came second 'cause I got carried), all the other novel events such as raft building and lap for a point were pretty awesome. Just to add, my house won! So that's awesome! :D

Had the day off Wednesday so very grateful for that. Pretty sure everyone just crashed after swimming carnival and everyone got a well-deserved rest. Definitely made me grateful for having at least 1 study period every day.

Thursday was same old, same old. Stage Band had just started up after school again, however, and I am HELLA RUSTY. We'll be performing for Generations in Jazz again so I really need to dig deep and get to practicing. As for other music stuff at the school, I need to keep practicing for acapella and hopefully, choir gets some good repertoire this year.

I think Fridays are becoming the highlight of my week. Day went by as usual and I went to the youth group. I don't know what was so different about that session but it was a very impactful session for everyone that went. It was ana amazing reset just to get in tune with my non VCE life :D

Next week we have our first full week without any days off as well as the music ensembles would be starting. Bus replacements will end on Wednesday so I really can't wait for that. Can't wait for Uni Chem that'll be starting this Monday.

Will update you guys next week on other stuff as well so I'll see you guys then!

2017 | Biology [38]

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:31:59 am »
+5
Good lad, perseverance is the key but  keep it up you have a promising future ahead of you.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:46:25 pm »
+4
Good lad, perseverance is the key but  keep it up you have a promising future ahead of you.

Thanks The Special One!! Just gotta keep going at it and try not to overload myself again.

2018 : Week 7 : 11th of Feb to 17th of Feb
Finally had the first full week of Year 12 and I am already feeling the intensity and how much of a time crunch this year is going to be.

Sunday started out with our first TuteSmart sesh with argument analysis. Went over contentions and how to find them and found this super helpful seeing as how in all my previous essays last year, I could never find and flesh out the full contention. (The teacher would write 3/4 which I thought meant it was of a 3/4 standard but when I asked she told me I only had 3/4ths of a contention :P)

In English, we are still working towards our upcoming Creative SAC next month. They've given us the opportunity to write up paragraphs in class, so I'm going to try and expand on those and create a few drafts. Going to get through another chapter of Burial Rites annotations tomorrow so things are going pretty smoothly. Methods is going okay so far. Had our first "quiz" yesterday and it's an eye opener as to how hard the applications are going to be for the exam. Still going steadily with the SUP work and staying ahead but I should get started on my bound reference soon. Chemistry is going alright. We've finished up on calorimetry and the errors and are working towards our investigation SAC on petro and bio diesels in about two weeks time. Already made some solid notes on the fuels and comparing them to each other so this week I'm going to try and do last year's investigation to revive the method writing skills I used in Bio. Slow progress in Physics. Just finished a bunch of orbital mechanics stuff and I think we're moving onto some more energy things. Not too sure.

We started Uni Chem this week as well. Definitely an intense lesson and way more advanced than anything we're doing for VCE with quantum mechanics and a lot more math than I expected. Thank goodness bus replacements ended because going home would've sucked since our lectures end at 7 pm on a Monday.

Some school but not VCE related things
Joined our school's Interact club. Basically, the group that organises all the fundraising charity events at the school. They've done stuff for Valentine's Day, R U OK Day and for Christmas and it would be nice to be involved in that type of stuff.
Also helping run a Christian group at the school so that's going to be awesome.
Got a few camps lined up, first one being Year 12 Camp happening this week as well as Parliament Leadership Camp in a few so I'm excited for those. Will need to work hard so I stay up to date even with those camps.
Formal is a thing that's happening in a month's time so there's already some talk about the school about dresses and travelling to formal. Only ever been to one formal in my life so I've got some ideas as to what to wear lined up. Going to have to wait for the formal committee to choose a theme though and hopefully it lines up well with what I've got in mind. (going to need to start exercising for this)
EDIT: i used the word "formal" in this wayy too much
Muso Things
The Music Program at the school has finally started. All the ensembles I'm in are kicking into speed and we're starting to learn repertoire again. Most of the stuff (for acapella and stage band) is working toward Generations In Jazz but I'm planning to choose some of the songs we do for the choir. Also got in my church's youth band after auditioning yesterday so I've been pretty happy since.

Yea, just trying not to overload myself with extra stuff outside of VCE. My schedule is already getting pretty tight so I think I'm settling with where I am at right now. See you guys next week!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:10:27 pm by chooby »

2017 | Biology [38]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:15:09 am »
+3
nice to see someone doing MUEP chem  :D - I did it in 2016. At the start it may feel a little overwhelming but definitely possible to do very well. The first semester does have a decent amount of math but that will dependent on how far you want to go into the unit. Since you can go and try to prove everything or just take the formulae/concepts as they are ahah, also semester 2 is a lot more theory so overall had a really nice balance.

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 08:26:53 pm »
nice to see someone doing MUEP chem  :D - I did it in 2016. At the start it may feel a little overwhelming but definitely possible to do very well. The first semester does have a decent amount of math but that will dependent on how far you want to go into the unit. Since you can go and try to prove everything or just take the formulae/concepts as they are ahah, also semester 2 is a lot more theory so overall had a really nice balance.

Yea, we just got emailed lecture notes for tommorow and I understand absolutely nothing. Don't think I'm going to spend as much effort for this subject because I definitely need to put more of that effort into English and Methods. Hopefully it helps me to understand the stuff we are learning in VCE soon. Do you know if it's worth doing practice questions throughout the year for Uni Chem?

2017 | Biology [38]