Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:52:45 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1420818 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5280 on: September 20, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
^How did all this shit even start? For how long have these elections existed?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #5281 on: September 20, 2017, 07:05:17 pm »
+1
Thanks Glasses! I'm really hoping this week won't have been for nothing, I've been at Monash for four years and I'd really like to see the MSA be something students actually give a shit about. Not even just on the student services front - how can you claim to be successful activists if you're so inaccessible to students? If nobody cares about the MSA, how can you harness the people power of the clayton campus (more than 30,000 students! if you could mobilise just 1% of them to come to an NDA for once, you'd be laughing)
^How did all this shit even start? For how long have these elections existed?
Forever. Like student politics is an interesting and fucked up world, nobody knows the complete history, but I have a good idea about the past 15-20 years of it at monash, unimelb, usyd and a bit of unsw, and trust me - there's an awful lot of bad blood. 4:31pm tomorrow, the campus centre will be an interesting place to be.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5282 on: September 21, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »
anyone here done BMS1052 (Human Neurobiology) in the past (preferably last year) :)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5283 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:57 pm »
Does anyone know how renewals work (if at all) at the Monash libraries?

Realised that I didn't return a book that's due on the 27th, but I'm now at home for mid sem break and won't be back at my place on res (where the book is) until the 28th. Just wanting to avoid a fine as I'm a typical broke uni student :(

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #5284 on: September 24, 2017, 09:57:36 pm »
+2
Does anyone know how renewals work (if at all) at the Monash libraries?

Realised that I didn't return a book that's due on the 27th, but I'm now at home for mid sem break and won't be back at my place on res (where the book is) until the 28th. Just wanting to avoid a fine as I'm a typical broke uni student :(
This link says that renewals are automatic? :o

Have you tried logging into the library website? You might have some luck there! :)

VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5285 on: September 24, 2017, 10:00:19 pm »
+1
This link says that renewals are automatic? :o

Have you tried logging into the library website? You might have some luck there! :)
Thanks!
Yeah I checked the library website, but all it said was renewals were automatic if the item wasn't in demand? Seemed a bit too good to be true to me but hopefully it is true!

Such a jaffy ::)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5286 on: October 01, 2017, 02:05:52 pm »
When you guys are catching up on missed lectures, do you watch the lecture recording, or just take notes from the lecture slides?

I've mostly just been doing the latter, but feel like I should maybe start watching the recordings as well. Thoughts?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5287 on: October 01, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »
+6
When you guys are catching up on missed lectures, do you watch the lecture recording, or just take notes from the lecture slides?

I've mostly just been doing the latter, but feel like I should maybe start watching the recordings as well. Thoughts?

Used to just do notes from slides. However I have found that there are some really important discussions/hints/tips that come from the lecturer during the lecture which aren't necessarily listed in the lecture notes. It's up to you, but I always felt that I could do without listening.

You have to consider as well that majority of lecture slides are adapted from the prescribed text (if any) so it can get quite wordy.. an explanation from the lecturer/other student during the lecture could really clarify something.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:17:06 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5288 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:31 pm »
+3
So, my OSCE schedule got released today.

Last semester I had the benefit of starting at 8am on the first day (first session) so it was over and done with quickly and I could relax.
This semester, I'm on the second day (8/11), and in the last group before lunch (11:30am start). I have to get to the holding room by 8:30am. So yeah, gonna be sitting, stewing away with anxiety for 3 hours lol. Not ideal.

But, provided I don't fail anything, this means I'll be finished exams before my birthday on the 11th, so I guess that's something.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5289 on: October 03, 2017, 12:18:10 pm »
Does anyone else keep on getting calls from MonTrack? Why can't they just leave me in peace?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #5290 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:21 pm »
Does anyone else keep on getting calls from MonTrack? Why can't they just leave me in peace?

Who or what is MonTrack?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5291 on: October 03, 2017, 12:40:28 pm »
+2
i think i still get them LOL

although the chance of me picking up ANY call on my phone is <0.01%

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5292 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:04 pm »
+4
Who or what is MonTrack?
According to the website, it's a program where they call first year students (a ridiculous amount of times) during the year and ask them how they're doing, etc. or something like that.

You invariably say that things are good and you're adjusting to uni well because as if you're going to admit to some random speaking in a monotone that uni isn't good haha

cooldude123

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5293 on: October 03, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »
+3
According to the website, it's a program where they call first year students (a ridiculous amount of times) during the year and ask them how they're doing, etc. or something like that.

You invariably say that things are good and you're adjusting to uni well because as if you're going to admit to some random speaking in a monotone that uni isn't good haha

Admittedly the calls are usually not well timed, but I was a bit bored once and asked a few questions related to my course and the caller actually gave me some useful advice, so I'd imagine it's past or higher year students studying your course or at least in your faculty working as callers rather than generic people reading off a script.
VCE Class of 2015

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #5294 on: October 09, 2017, 10:19:03 am »
So, just to clarify, we can't re-enrol until we declare a major? Can I switch majors at a later date if I'm unsure?