Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:39:13 pm

Author Topic: Happy 10th Birthday, ATAR Notes Forum! <3  (Read 8364 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Happy 10th Birthday, ATAR Notes Forum! <3
« on: October 06, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »
+36
Yoooo,

As you may or may not know, ATAR Notes turns 10 on October 19 of this year. That's less than a fortnight away, and I think something super important to acknowledge.

From humble beginnings (see the very first post here), ATAR Notes has grown to be a much, much bigger thing than probably what was first intended.

As you can probably tell from that post, AN started off as FreeStudyNotes (FSN). It then progressed to VCE Notes (VN) and, as is now, ATAR Notes (AN). It's pretty crazy if you think about the progression. We have nearly 200,000 members. We'll probably make our collective 1,000,000th post some time next year. There are more than 65,000 threads.

Further to that, we've run literally hundreds and hundreds of free VCE and HSC lectures across two states. Thousands and thousands of students have attended those lectures. That's an absolute game-changer, even compared with when I was in Year 12; the concept of a free revision or head-start lecture would have been freakin' absurd.

There are more than 2,500 sets of notes entirely free to download. Heaps of free content on a daily basis across multiple platforms. Plus low-cost study guides and tutoring, of which we're extremely proud.

IMO, though, the very best part of ATAR Notes is this very community. This community right here. I joined 5.5 years ago, when I was in Year 12 myself (and had lurked here prior to that). I received help and support when I was in my final year. AN was a great place to chill, and connect with others in a similar position. Perhaps unlike the majority of AN users, I became more active after Year 12, and I've never wanted to leave since.

Why? Because this community is legitimately special. It's the most supportive place I know - the most supportive place I could possibly fathom. And it's only become increasingly so. Honestly, I don't think the forums have been this strong and vibrant for a long, long time.

That's a huge thing, and it's due to everybody reading this thread - and many others.

ATAR Notes is a mammoth part of my life. I guess this thread is really just to thank you all for making it so, and for giving me somewhere to relax, to push myself, and to learn. Many of my closest friends, I met directly through ATAR Notes - and that's something I don't take lightly. I am forever in AN's debt.

That's the thing, though.

Very few people from when I first joined are still active. brenden and I joined a month apart. vox nihili and spectroscopy, amongst others, joined soon after. But most have left. And in the last 5.5 years, I've had the absolute pleasure of seeing new users take their place.

People who first came for the free notes or essay marking, who then became the ones giving the free notes and essay marking.

And I'm proud to say that I was one of those people. Two years ago, I wasn't a moderator. Now I work full-time for ATAR Notes, and there literally could be no better or more enjoyable place to spend my days.

If you're reading this as a lurker, or somebody who has posted only a few times, please get more involved. You won't regret it.

If you're reading this as a current VCE or HSC student, please stick around. You won't regret it.

This community is incredible, because it's simply worth so much more than the sum of its parts. When some leave, others emerge, and still others push themselves further. I love that. This community is built on altruism, on trust, and on selflessness. That's what I love about ATAR Notes. That's what I love about all of you.

I think it's important over the next couple of weeks to recognise the contributions of all who have come before us. Of the previous administrators and moderators, of the previous essay markers, of the previous posters of any age and any variety. Every single person who has made a single post has contributed to ATAR Notes, and for that I am thankful.

A customary glance at the most prolific posters in the history of AN will likely reveal many unfamiliar names. But these, plus very many others, are the people who have built the foundation for ATAR Notes both now and in the future.

So let's tip our hats.

The most exciting thing, though, is to think about what ATAR Notes might be like in the future. As members of this community, which is the core of everything ATAR Notes does and can do, we have the considerable opportunity to make a genuine difference.

Who will be the ones that move ATAR Notes forward in the future? You. All of you. If you want to make a difference, you can.

That's why I'm sticking around, and why I hope you do also. ATAR Notes is pretty much my favourite thing on Earth. I genuinely love ATAR Notes.

So, thank you all - and please join me in wishing AN a very happy 10th birthday!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:18:20 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
Re: Countdown to ATAR Notes' 10th Birthday
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:32:41 pm »
+10
This ^ is so sweet, and moving, and very very special to all of us, whether we've been here for days, weeks or years.

Oh..and HB AtarNotes :D

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »
+9
omg my Atar Notes and my cat have the same birthday <3333 also the date of my PDHPE exam hahaha

Happy (early) 10th birthday AN! I have only been a part of this community for a very short while but I absolutely love it! I am seriously so excited to see everyone's amazing results at the end of the year after all the work all of us have put in

ATAR notes rockkkkkkkk
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:10 pm »
+12
Dear ATARNotes.

You are getting old.

Love you too.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:28:39 pm »
+5
What are your favourite ATAR Notes memories? :D

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:05:12 pm »
+9
What are your favourite ATAR Notes memories? :D
What are yours? :)

- Friendships (and the first time I met AN people irl!)
- IRC on ATAR release day
- The debate about keeping sauce in the fridge/pantry
- A lot of older threads that Heidi has shown me (particularly threads from April Fools)
- Every time the leaderboard starts working again

But most of all, I'd have to say, this thread takes the cake for one of my favourite memories.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »
+7
What are yours? :)

- Friendships (and the first time I met AN people irl!)
- IRC on ATAR release day
- The debate about keeping sauce in the fridge/pantry
- A lot of older threads that Heidi has shown me (particularly threads from April Fools)
- Every time the leaderboard starts working again

But most of all, I'd have to say, this thread takes the cake for one of my favourite memories.

Really good question.

For me, I'm not sure if there are specific moments or whatever that really, truly stick out more than the rest. But the general vibe of ATAR Notes is what gets me. I mean, whether in high school, university or when working full-time, AN has given me a place to just... be.

No like, social obligation or whatever. No judgement.

Some of the friendships I've made here are very deep and very genuine, so like, that's always a plus haha. But, if I had to pinpoint one specific moment to showcase how special ATAR Notes is, I'd probably choose reading the following thread:

Read me! Read me!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »
+7
Dem feels
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
Re: Happy 10th Birthday, ATAR Notes Forum! <3
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:18:33 pm »
+4

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:04 am »
+10
This AN memory was so significant to me that I remember the dates lmao - 14th-16th January, 2016. 

Over these days:

I got the AN 2015 MVP award, experienced having a suicidal friend for the first time on AN (I now have zero issues* with this, but at the time I hadn't dealt with such things before and it was a huge thing to me, and significant in many ways), received the kindest support from fellow mods, and went to my first AN meetup and met lots of you guys for the first time.

Other than that, like, everything?  Just so many amazing, kind, non-judgmental, altruistic, generous role models on here.  I've never found a place on the troll-and-hate-filled internet that is as truly kind as AN.

* issues autocorrected to Susies.  I think this is saying that the ultimate issue is Susie. ;) 
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

ca052267

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 10:53:17 am »
+5
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AN!
'In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.'
~ Albert Einstein ~

HSC 2017
Advanced English
General Maths 2
Biology
Food Technology
Textiles and Design

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:26 pm »
+6
Happy birthday, ATAR Notes. I love you.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 12:27:02 pm »
+6
I'll change my forum signature for just one day

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 12:28:40 pm »
+5
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ATARNOTES!!

Thanks for being a warm place of happiness throughout the storm of Year 12  :)
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:33:40 pm »
+5
🎶 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU 🎶
🎶 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU 🎶
🎶 HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR AN 🎶
🎶 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! 🎶
🎂🍰🎉🎈
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?