Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:40 pm

Author Topic: Brain Function summary table help please  (Read 1963 times)  Share 

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
Brain Function summary table help please
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:53:12 pm »
Hi all,
my teacher set homework as she was going away, now i got through everything fine except this table. I uploaded this word document with the table in it.
The ones in bold are what the paper already has and i included the 2 in red. Any help would be great as this is due in on monday :(
Thanks so much

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Re: Brain Function summary table help please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:32:34 pm »
I don't have much time because I'm heading off to a party but the brain area section is as follows (i'm doing this pretty quickly so sorry for errors):

Cerebral cortex- you could basically explain ANY information processing difficulty or any difficulty relating to any motor or sensory function. E.g. Difficulty initiating movement, impaired ability to think logically, to learn, to think etc.
Corpus callosum- a communicative structure which allows efficient flow of information between the two hemispheres
Frontal lobe- higher mental functioning, voluntary movement, personality, emotionality, reasoning etc
Broca's area- speech will still make sense, but will be slurred, laborious and poorly articulated. Conjunctions in speech will often be left out.
Primary motor cortex- directs the voluntary movement of the body, enabling fine movement
Parietal lobe- spacial perception. Bodily awareness in terms of touch, pain and body movement. Damage could cause difficulties in determining the spacial positions of objects in the individual's environment. Sensory elements such as pain may not be processed as effectively.
Somatosensory cortex- sensations may be heavily dulled as a result of damaged. The individual may not be able to understand the full extent of pain due to the altered ability to perceive core sensory elements sent to the brain.
Occipital lobe- is the primary visual area of the brain. It enables visual perception. Damage to the lobe could result in impaired visual ability or a gradual degeneration of vision.
Primary visual cortex- where visual information is processed to form our perception. Damage can cause impaired visual abilities. Severe damage can result in a degeneration of vision.
Temporal lobe- the main location where auditory information is received. Memory, Recognition of faces. Comprehension of written and spoken language. Damage can result in impaired hearing ability, loss of memory and speech which lacks meaning (if Wernicke's is damaged)
Primary auditory cortex- receives and processes auditory information
Wernicke's area- comprehension of written and spoken language. If damage occurs, speech will be meaningless but still fluent.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:46:17 pm »
thanks a heap

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:55:47 pm »
If you still need help (which I doubt because Nick's answer was very comprehensive), I've uploaded a file on unit 3 which can be found here: http://notes.vcenotes.com/?step=download&subject=Psychology&units=
I list all the functions of the association and cortical areas in there.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:14:32 pm »
umm yeah there both really good notes
but like, i know all those notes sorta but if you see the table, i just have trouble filling in the spaces.
so if i could get some helo wif that it would be great, like the real life example of damage occured.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:58:43 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean. Well, Nick's answers are good. Is it just that you have to think of actual examples? That shouldn't be too hard. The best way do do this task is to think about what the function of a specific brain area is and, to counter that, what would happen if you no longer had that function or the function was severly impaired.

Like, for damage to the frontal lobe, well, have you ever seen that movie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, where the guy has a frontal lobotomy? It involves a major personality change and possibly mental retardation. Maybe even a native American suffocating you with your own pillow (lol, don't write that). The frontal lobe plays a part in emotions and in syncronising the brain, so damage to this area may dull emotions and inhibit our ability to perform higher mental functions. So, I guess a real life example would be, if someone with damage to this area was given a puzzle to complete, they wouldn't be able to perform the task.

If someone with damage to the parietal lobe had to catch a ball, they may incorrectly perceive where the ball actually is and fail to catch it.
If someone with damage to the somatosensory cortex were to be pinched, for example, they may not feel it.

As you'll learn later in visual perception, much of the processes involved in seeing happens in the brain. So, if someone had damage to this area they may not be able to see, or their perception would be poor. You could use the example of if they had to read a book, they would have trouble distinguishing the letters or may not even see them at all. This is the same with the visual cortex. It may be a good idea to just come up with a similar sort of example for that one.

With the temporal lobe, that's involved in quite a few processes like memory and recognition of objects. So, if you had damage to this area, you may not be able to recognise someone you know very well.
In Wernicke's area, if someone with damage were to speak to others, they would fail to get the right words out and instead say random things, 'word salad', in other words.

Did that cover everything?

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:30 pm »
yeah thats awesome thanks  :D
just did u see the doc i uploaded? do you know the columns on the left that i need to fill in?