Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:54:53 am

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1236359 times)  Share 

spnmox

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #4035 on: April 19, 2019, 04:40:36 pm »
Find the integral of cos^3 theta.

I searched online and sources say the answer is sintheta -1/3 sin^3theta +c, but the answers at the back of the book say 1/4(1/3 sin3theta + 3sintheta) + c. I'm just wondering how do you reach that answer?

Thank you

david.wang28

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Always do everything equanimously
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #4036 on: April 19, 2019, 04:48:39 pm »
+1

I searched online and sources say the answer is sintheta -1/3 sin^3theta +c, but the answers at the back of the book say 1/4(1/3 sin3theta + 3sintheta) + c. I'm just wondering how do you reach that answer?

Thank you
Start from cos3(theta) = 4cos^3(theta) - 3cos(theta). Do some rearranging, you get cos^3(theta) = 1/4[cos3(theta)+3cos(theta)]. Integrating, you get 1/4(1/3 sin3theta + 3sintheta) + c, using your standard integral methods (look at your maths reference sheet if you want).
Selection rank: 95.25

2020-2024: Bachelor of engineering and computer science @ UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4037 on: April 19, 2019, 05:00:31 pm »
+2

Thank you
Note that this is essentially a 4U integral.

However it's as pointed in the above post. Both answers are valid.

To obtain the \( \sin \theta - \frac{\sin^3}{3}+C\) result, we rely on the fact that \( \int \cos^3 x\,dx = \int \cos x (1-\sin^2x) \,dx \) and integration by substitution.

To obtain the other one, compound angle and double angle expansions show that \(\cos 3x = \cos (2x + x) = \dots = 4\cos^3 x - 3\cos x\), which can be rearranged into \(\cos^3 x = \frac14 (3\cos x + \cos 3x) \). And then we integrate.

The methods are essentially reunified by the other triple angle result: \(\sin 3x = \sin (2x+x) = \dots = 3\sin x - 4\sin^3 x\).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:03:08 pm by RuiAce »

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4038 on: April 19, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »
Note that this is essentially a 4U integral.

However it's as pointed in the above post. Both answers are valid.

To obtain the \( \sin \theta - \frac{\sin^3}{3}+C\) result, we rely on the fact that \( \int \cos^3 x\,dx = \int \cos x (1-\sin^2x) \,dx \) and integration by substitution.

To obtain the other one, compound angle and double angle expansions show that \(\cos 3x = \cos (2x + x) = \dots = 4\cos^3 x - 3\cos x\), which can be rearranged into \(\cos^3 x = \frac14 (3\cos x + \cos 3x) \). And then we integrate.

The methods are essentially reunified by the other triple angle result: \(\sin 3x = \sin (2x+x) = \dots = 3\sin x - 4\sin^3 x\).
Just out of curiosity; for the 4U method, do you do integration by parts for that question?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4039 on: April 19, 2019, 05:14:01 pm »
Just out of curiosity; for the 4U method, do you do integration by parts for that question?
Always avoid IBP wherever possible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:24:12 pm by RuiAce »

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4040 on: April 19, 2019, 06:45:30 pm »
Hi, I feel like I'm not great at permutations and combinations in general. I don't fully understand why we have to multiply certain things. Eg, we did this one in class but if I were to do it by myself, I probably wouldn't get the answer:

Four mice A,B,C and D are placed in the centre of a maze which has five exits. Each mouse behaves independently and is equally likely to leave the maze through any one of the five exits. Find the probability that any 3 of the 4 mice come out the same exit, and the other comes out of a different exit.

The working out is p=5C1 x 4C3 x 1/5 x 1/5 x 1/5 x 4/5 = 16/125.

Like how do you know what things you have to account for and multiply by?? Maybe I just don't understand the basics? Help please

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4041 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:23 pm »
+1
Hi, I feel like I'm not great at permutations and combinations in general. I don't fully understand why we have to multiply certain things. Eg, we did this one in class but if I were to do it by myself, I probably wouldn't get the answer:

Four mice A,B,C and D are placed in the centre of a maze which has five exits. Each mouse behaves independently and is equally likely to leave the maze through any one of the five exits. Find the probability that any 3 of the 4 mice come out the same exit, and the other comes out of a different exit.

The working out is p=5C1 x 4C3 x 1/5 x 1/5 x 1/5 x 4/5 = 16/125.

Like how do you know what things you have to account for and multiply by?? Maybe I just don't understand the basics? Help please
To answer your question on understanding, and means multiply.

This is the fundamental principle of counting. For example, if there are \(3\) different choices of burgers and \(2\) different choices of drinks, then there are \(3\times 2 = 6\) ways of selecting a burger and a drink. In general, if there are \(m\) ways of doing 1 thing and \(n\) ways of doing another thing, then there's \(mn\) ways of doing both things.

However also note that in your context, the independence assumption means that whatever one mouse does will 100% not influence what the other mouse does. Independence is a nice thing in probability because if we have an event \(A\) and another event \(B\) (and they're independent), then the probability of doing \(A\) and \(B\) is just the probability of \(A\) and of \(B\) multiplied. That is, \(P(AB) = P(A)\times P(B)\).
\[ \text{The solution presented to your question is a common concept in MX1 level probability.}\\ \text{It says that the probability of a certain event to happen}\\ \text{can first be found by counting the number of }\textbf{distinct configurations}\text{ that satisfy the event}\\ \text{times the probability of }\textbf{a particular configuration}\text{ of that happening.} \]
Absorb the intuition behind the solution to those particular problems in the following explanation.
\[ \text{With reference to that particular example, the event we're interested in is}\\ \text{3 mice going to the same exit, and 1 mice going to some random one.} \]
\[ \text{We first count the number of configurations this can occur in.}\\ \text{Note that the question doesn't say specifically}\\ \textit{which mouse must go to which exit.}\\ \text{This needs to be counted.} \]
\[ \text{Note that we have an }\textbf{and}\text{ scenario:}\\ \text{we must choose the 3 mice to go through one exit of our choice.} \\ \text{Since we require 1 exit out of 5, we get the }\binom51.\\ \text{Since we require 3 mice out of 4, we get the }\binom43. \]
Boom. Multiplying this (again, this is an and scenario) we automatically get \( \binom{5}{1}\binom{4}{3} \).
\[ \text{Now that we've counted the different configurations,}\\ \text{we compute the probability for a }\textbf{particular}\text{ configuration.} \]
\[\text{An example of a particular configuration is three mice go through exit 1.}\\ \text{That could be mice, say, }B,\, C\text{ and }D.\\ \text{Thanks to }\textbf{independence}\text{, the probability they all go through exit 1 is}\\ \frac15 \times \frac15 \times \frac15. \]
\[ \text{Then, we have the remaining mouse }A.\\ \text{It must go through an exit that is }\textbf{not}\text{ exit }1.\\ \text{This occurs with probability }\frac45. \]
\[ \text{But again, due to }\textbf{independence}\text{, the probability that the 4 mice behave like this}\\ \text{will literally just be }\frac15\times \frac15\times \frac15 \times \frac45.\]
Multiply that, to the number of configurations you had, and there's the answer in the working out.

Side note: This is not my preferred way of approaching this problem. I use a different pattern that is 100% combinatorial - it almost avoids probability. But for now I will not discuss it - you can ask again if you really want to know.

Note that nevertheless the concept of "number of configurations" times "probability of a particular configuration" hasn't failed me before. It's just not my preference. This is because I don't think it is adaptable to weirder questions.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:16:54 pm by RuiAce »

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4042 on: April 20, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »
Hello,
I am stuck on Q 14 c) and d), and Q 15 b) in the attachments below (I have posted my working out as well). Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4043 on: April 20, 2019, 05:34:28 pm »
+1
Hello,
I am stuck on Q 14 c) and d), and Q 15 b) in the attachments below (I have posted my working out as well). Can anyone please help me out? Thanks :)
Q14 c) should be easy. Just sub back in \(\theta = \tan^{-1}x\) (which the question told you to assume at the very beginning) and you're done. Then for Q14 d), a reminder that an odd function is a function satisfying the property \(f(-x) = -f(x) \)
\[ \text{Since }\alpha = \tan^{-1}x\text{ and }\beta = \tan^{-1}2x\\ \text{the equation we are trying to solve is just }\boxed{\alpha+\beta = \tan^{-1}3}. \]
\[ \text{Taking tangent of both sides then just gives}\\ \tan (\alpha+\beta) = \tan(\tan^{-1}3)\\ \text{which, using part a), becomes}\\ \boxed{\frac{3x}{1-2x^2} = 3}.\]
Which then becomes \( 3x = 3(1-2x^2)\), and cancelling out the 3's gives \(x = 1-2x^2\), which is now just a quadratic.

david.wang28

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4044 on: April 20, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »
Q14 c) should be easy. Just sub back in \(\theta = \tan^{-1}x\) (which the question told you to assume at the very beginning) and you're done. Then for Q14 d), a reminder that an odd function is a function satisfying the property \(f(-x) = -f(x) \)
\[ \text{Since }\alpha = \tan^{-1}x\text{ and }\beta = \tan^{-1}2x\\ \text{the equation we are trying to solve is just }\boxed{\alpha+\beta = \tan^{-1}3}. \]
\[ \text{Taking tangent of both sides then just gives}\\ \tan (\alpha+\beta) = \tan(\tan^{-1}3)\\ \text{which, using part a), becomes}\\ \boxed{\frac{3x}{1-2x^2} = 3}.\]
Which then becomes \( 3x = 3(1-2x^2)\), and cancelling out the 3's gives \(x = 1-2x^2\), which is now just a quadratic.
I should have known. Thanks as always! :)

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4045 on: April 20, 2019, 07:53:15 pm »
hey I was wondering,
how can I show that a function has an inverse? is there a specific way to prove it

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4046 on: April 20, 2019, 08:16:41 pm »
hey I was wondering,
how can I show that a function has an inverse? is there a specific way to prove it
When it passes the horizontal line test that you should've been taught.

(Alternatively, if the graph of the function is too hard to be sketched, if it is a continuous function and is monotonic increasing or monotonic decreasing, that also works.)

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4047 on: April 20, 2019, 09:44:48 pm »
When it passes the horizontal line test that you should've been taught.

(Alternatively, if the graph of the function is too hard to be sketched, if it is a continuous function and is monotonic increasing or monotonic decreasing, that also works.)

I was looking for the alternative, thank you!

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4048 on: April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 pm »
Hey guys, so this is 2008 HSC 3c:

A race car is travelling on the x-axis from P to Q at a constant velocity, v. A spectator is at A which is directly opposite O, and OA = l metres. When the car is at C, its displacement from O is x metres and angle OAC = theta, with -pi/2 < theta < pi/2.

so ii) is Let m be the max value of dtheta/dt. Find the value of m in terms of v and l.

And solutions say that dtheta/dt is a max when x=0, but I don't understand why.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4049 on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:07 pm »
Hey guys, so this is 2008 HSC 3c:

A race car is travelling on the x-axis from P to Q at a constant velocity, v. A spectator is at A which is directly opposite O, and OA = l metres. When the car is at C, its displacement from O is x metres and angle OAC = theta, with -pi/2 < theta < pi/2.

so ii) is Let m be the max value of dtheta/dt. Find the value of m in terms of v and l.

And solutions say that dtheta/dt is a max when x=0, but I don't understand why.
In the future, please add a link to the original paper so we can see the full question in entirety.
\[ \text{In general, }f(x)\text{ is maximised}\\ \text{when }\frac{1}{f(x)}\text{ is }\textbf{minimised.} \]
\[ \text{Here, }\frac{v\ell}{v^2+x^2}\text{ is maximised}\\ \text{when }\frac{v^2+x^2}{v\ell}\text{ is minimised.} \]
\[ \text{Which is of course when }v^2+x^2\text{ is minimised}\\ \text{which we know is at }x=0\text{, because that new expression is just an easy-to-handle quadratic.} \]