Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:58 am

Author Topic: HSC English (Paper 1) - 17/10/19 - Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 5175 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Post all exam discussion, questions, and sample solutions for Paper 1 here!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 04:28:15 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
Who TF created the paper? It was out of the syllabus!!!
-KgkG-

abdulrahmanb8

• Adventurer
It wasn't too bad at all!

iktimal

• Adventurer
I think I did well in the essay, but the unseen for advanced was kinda tricky. I wasn't able to finish question 5 of the unseen as I ran out of time, hopefully I don't lose all the marks for it though, I did do half of it. How did everyone else go?

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
Unseen was tricky, I agree. And the fact that there were no visual texts made it kind of harder, as I find you could have a lot to say with those types of texts.

Really surprised they went specific with the essay question though, thought they would go general. I didn’t finish my conclusion though so I guess I’ll wait and see how that turns out.

Overall, it was pretty decent but it could have been way better. I’m expecting a mark between 25-35 out of 40 for this paper, can’t wait to see what’s up for paper 2.
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Essay127

• Adventurer
The lack of visual texts in the unseen section made did make it more time pressured in my opinion. I'm feeling a bit disheartened as I ended up having to dedicate more time to the unseen questions since got stuck on one of the texts, and so I didn't get to finish my 3rd paragraph for the essay. My first 2 paragraphs were very elaborate and detailed and my 3rd (which I didn't get to write) was the weakest one. I managed to wrap it up with a solid conclusion and made sure to answer the question throughout so I hope I can still get a good mark...

19eredding

• Fresh Poster
The Unseen texts were kind of weird espically the first text. The essay question for The Crucible about love was just a bad question. 

elania2171

• Adventurer
The Unseen texts were kind of weird espically the first text. The essay question for The Crucible about love was just a bad question.

Not sure about everyone else but I'm SOOOO happy with the crucible question.  It will stop people who memorised from doing well if they didn't prepare enough..... ;D >:( .... I managed to write a really good 10-page essay -  I wrote about the representation of hysteria + moral integrity and the way these influence people to abandon/stand up for those they loved, speaking powerfully to the modern condition about the importance of love in human experiences/relationships.... fingers crossed I get a band 6  :o :D

rileydempster46

• Fresh Poster
Not going to lie, I think the love question for The Crucible was pretty ordinary given the emphasis that was placed on more specific elements of the syllabus throughout the year.

emaan

• Adventurer
paper 1 essay question was not expected thinking it would be specific, however i managed to fit the loneliness in my essay quite well using my points so hoping i can succeed in that. But the short answers were something else first of all they were so weird, nothing to do with human experiences and the questions were tricky, however i surprisingly answered all of them so hoping i can squeeze some good marks there. Overall time was not a problem either. Lets wait for paper 2.   :'(

2019 HSC- English Advanced, Mathematics Standard, Modern History, Biology and Legal Studies

Darealrobsey

• Fresh Poster
I mean, the crucible one was NOT FUN. But, I did finish and I think I adapted well. I talked about how love is paradoxical, how it's limited by societal pressures yet transcends the limitations of the physical authority and how our emotions allow it to transcend the physical. However, the unexpected nature of the Q (unlike any trial papers) means my language wasn't as good, hoping for a band 6 in that essay. At the very least, SA's weren't too bad, especially cos nothing was above 5 marks. If paper 1 essays were this ech, then paper 2 is going to be something else...

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
Turns out the paper made headlines. Interesting read regarding the perspective of teachers, but still, some people like me do not have the skill to write essays on the spot. Like, ideas can easily be changed to fit the question but the language and structure to communicate those ideas, for me and others, is something particularly hard to nail. Anyways, that's my 2 cents on the issue, and if unpredictability is the case, I guess we are in for a treat tomorrow :-\.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:29:31 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!