Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:06:15 pm

Author Topic: how in depth is homeostasis on new study design  (Read 2399 times)  Share 

skybluemaniac

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
how in depth is homeostasis on new study design
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
I know that most of homeostasis has been removed from the new study design and it's only really studied at a cellular level. But for some reason my teacher is planning a prac sac on homeostasis next term? Is this really necessary and should I approach her if it's not really on the study design anymore?

2015: VCE DONE!! ATAR: 96.85

2016-2019: Bachelor of Education (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Microbiology and Immunology) at Monash University

2020: Teacher!

VCE Bio (45) ~ Monash Uni Bio ( High distinction - 4.5)
***I AM TUTORING VCE BIOLOGY***. Let me help you reach your full potential! http://melbourne.universitytutor.com/tutors/753760

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: how in depth is homeostasis on new study design
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:11 pm »
Negative feedback, positive feedback and 'homestasis' in general has been removed from the study design. Concepts pertaining to how the body counteracts a change has also largely been removed. Like you said, the focus is at a cellular level. (i.e. signal transduction).

It's best if you seek additional information on what the prac SAC specifically entails.

skybluemaniac

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »
Negative feedback, positive feedback and 'homestasis' in general has been removed from the study design. Concepts pertaining to how the body counteracts a change has also largely been removed. Like you said, the focus is at a cellular level. (i.e. signal transduction).

It's best if you seek additional information on what the prac SAC specifically entails.

Do you think I should bring this up to my teacher. She's been going over homeostasis and I'm worried we're wasting precious time

2016-2019: Bachelor of Education (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Microbiology and Immunology) at Monash University

***I AM TUTORING VCE BIOLOGY***. Let me help you reach your full potential! http://melbourne.universitytutor.com/tutors/753760

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:26 pm »
Do you think I should bring this up to my teacher. She's been going over homeostasis and I'm worried we're wasting precious time
You can check the VCAA Biology FAQs for further clarification (it tells you what you do/don't need to know).

What exactly are you being taught in class? If it's anything about negative/positive feedback (thyroxine, glucose levels etc.) then I'd definitely being it up (nicely of course :p).

skybluemaniac

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 10:27:35 am »
You can check the VCAA Biology FAQs for further clarification (it tells you what you do/don't need to know).

What exactly are you being taught in class? If it's anything about negative/positive feedback (thyroxine, glucose levels etc.) then I'd definitely being it up (nicely of course :p).

I've checked the FAQ and yeah she's going through all that glucose and heat regulation. I'm not sure what the sac is one but it'll probably be one of those. I'll speak to her and hopefully sort things out

chembio

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:28:26 am »
so we don't need to know the definitions of positive and negative feedback and no examples of either right? or should just know 1 or 2 in case it comes on the exam?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 11:35:42 am »
so we don't need to know the definitions of positive and negative feedback and no examples of either right? or should just know 1 or 2 in case it comes on the exam?
Well technically they can't ask you that on the exam because it's been omitted from the syllabus. Besides, you'll inevitably come across these questions in the past exams (<2013) so you'll be an expert in the end :p