Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:50:17 am

Author Topic: Rounding Errors  (Read 1475 times)  Share 

JamieLeaf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Rounding Errors
« on: April 18, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »
Hey guys,
My teacher has been really unclear about rounding errors so I would just like to clear things up here. Lets say that you are doing a question and you find out the answer for part a and you've rounded the value to the required significant figures. For part b, which requires you to use your answer for a, do you use the value you obtained from part A (rounded to required sig figs) or do you need to use the exact unrounded value on your calculator to avoid rounding errors? Thanks!!

chickan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Rounding Errors
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:09:47 pm »
+2
Pretty sure you use the exact unrounded answer in your working for part b, and then round it when you get your final answer for part B. If there's a part C, I would continue using the exact unrounded answer

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:52 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
My teacher has been really unclear about rounding errors so I would just like to clear things up here. Lets say that you are doing a question and you find out the answer for part a and you've rounded the value to the required significant figures. For part b, which requires you to use your answer for a, do you use the value you obtained from part A (rounded to required sig figs) or do you need to use the exact unrounded value on your calculator to avoid rounding errors? Thanks!!
Always use exact values (although you can write them down to X decimal places)

So, if you get an answer for a as 3.21 but the actual value is 3.2087... you would insert the actual value in when calculating subsequent answers (but it is ok to write down the rounded form in your working out).

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:05 pm »
Always use exact values (although you can write them down to X decimal places)

So, if you get an answer for a as 3.21 but the actual value is 3.2087... you would insert the actual value in when calculating subsequent answers (but it is ok to write down the rounded form in your working out).

What if using those values gives you a different answer though? This could happen right?
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:21:42 pm »
+1

What if using those values gives you a different answer though? This could happen right?

It could happen but they don't expect you to waste time writing out 10 or so digits

dashnog

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 07:43:58 pm »
In general, I stay by the rule to keep as many of my calculations as exact as possible and then round at the end using the appropriate amount of significant figures. It just saves the hassle.
Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Scholar's Program) at Monash (2021-2023)

ATAR: 94.XX
2019: VCE Biology & VCE Psychology
2020: VCE Extended Investigation, Chemistry, Music Performance, Methods, Literature