Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:03 pm

Author Topic: Its HSC baby :)  (Read 24990 times)

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
  • Respect: +25
Its HSC baby :)
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:54:37 pm »
+10
So, not sure if I'm doing this right but only have 2 prelim exams left !!! (very excited)
I will try and update the marks here (hoping they aren't atrocious) and would love for some of you guys to input here your own experiences.

Cannot believe that it is officially becoming the beginning of the end!
Remember, pain is temporary, but the HSC is for life
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
Re: Its HSC baby :)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:59:41 pm »
+8
Just had a read through some others, which are much more detailed, so I too will add detail.

As inferred above I am currently in year 11, almost transitioning into year 12.

My subjects are currently:
1. Eng Adv
2. Eng Ext
3. Math Adv
4. Modern Hist
5. Society & Culture
6. CAFS (highkey regret choosing)
7. and SOR1 which is planning to be dropped as I pick up Hist Ext

I am quite excited about the possibilities of the coming year (yet also terrified as its the 'real deal' now).

I wanted to wish anyone whose reading this the best of luck in the future and in their HSC

oh, and my name isn't actually nomsie, it's Naomi :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 06:31:47 pm »
+8
Okay so major update, just completed my second last exam, (eng ext which I have be sooo stressed about) and have CAFS on Monday.

The exam was okay but my thumb is still hurting from writing, and it also doesn't help that I did in fact not read the prescribed text we had to write a creative appropriation of :)
I mean to be fair, we were given a specific extract that we had to reimagine from a different perspective (which doesn't actually leave much room for expansion). But overall hope/think I did well.

I'll update the marks once I get them (that's saying if they're not totally bad)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 10:19:49 pm »
+5
Hey Naomi!

Welcome to the forums  ;D I'm so keen to read your journal! What are you most excited about with being a Year 12 student?

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 11:14:03 pm »
+3
Hey Naomi!

Welcome to the forums  ;D I'm so keen to read your journal! What are you most excited about with being a Year 12 student?

Not sure if I'm responding right, but definitely the content, I have a strong love for my subjects (excluding math, which is the only reason I'm doing 12 units so I have a buffer). I genuinely have a passion for learning so I'm excited to see my strengths. Also am school captain so definitely keen on what i can do for my school :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 07:13:38 pm »
+3
Sooooo.... I'm currently contemplating whether or not to do hist ext or 4UENG but I'm steering more towards eng as the interests and pros are more towards it (and the hist ext course is starting to appear boring).

I'm going to do both and drop at the end of next term, so I have an idea of both :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 09:39:58 am »
+6
Quick Update!

So there are only 6 days of holidays and year 12 starts!!!
Honestly not sure how to feel, and I haven't been the most productive during these holidays (went beach yesterday but did read some of 1984!). I need to finish reading 1984, start reading the left hand of darkness, and I want to formulate two major work ideas for both eng ext and hist ext.

If anyone reading this has completed either extension course, pls respond and let me know how you thought of your idea, because I have no clue what I'm meant to steer my ideas towards as my teachers were very, very vague.

Hope everyone reading is enjoying their holidays :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 11:53:56 pm »
+4
Quick Update!

So there are only 6 days of holidays and year 12 starts!!!
Honestly not sure how to feel, and I haven't been the most productive during these holidays (went beach yesterday but did read some of 1984!). I need to finish reading 1984, start reading the left hand of darkness, and I want to formulate two major work ideas for both eng ext and hist ext.

If anyone reading this has completed either extension course, pls respond and let me know how you thought of your idea, because I have no clue what I'm meant to steer my ideas towards as my teachers were very, very vague.

Hope everyone reading is enjoying their holidays :)

My teacher actually helped me choose my topic for my History Project (Nanking Massacre + national memory), which in hindsight was not the best idea since I became very disinterested and unmotivated in it EVEN THOUGH it was interesting towards the end. I regret not changing it up or just finding my own topic since it just felt like a chore and that I was forced to do it. Definitely choose something that truly fascinates you!!!

And yes, you will find that everything is kinda vague in History Extension; essay writing, the sources, the course content... there's only so much that your teachers can do for you. This is a good thing though! It means that you aren't limited at all for your History Project; you can write about so many different things!!! Take a look at the Constructing History - Key Questions syllabus and pick out the dot points that seem to jump out and interest you. If I were to choose my topic now, I would probably have chosen to centre it around forms of historical communication or changing philosophies of history (of course, you will inevitably address multiple syllabus dot points in your History Project, but you can focus on particular ones).

Also, good on you for starting on your prescribed texts! It's lovely to see such enthusiasm!

Good luck with your extension courses! Don't worry about being productive, enjoy the rest of your holidays.
I hope this helped,
Alice : D
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 09:35:47 am »
+1
My teacher actually helped me choose my topic for my History Project (Nanking Massacre + national memory), which in hindsight was not the best idea since I became very disinterested and unmotivated in it EVEN THOUGH it was interesting towards the end. I regret not changing it up or just finding my own topic since it just felt like a chore and that I was forced to do it. Definitely choose something that truly fascinates you!!!

And yes, you will find that everything is kinda vague in History Extension; essay writing, the sources, the course content... there's only so much that your teachers can do for you. This is a good thing though! It means that you aren't limited at all for your History Project; you can write about so many different things!!! Take a look at the Constructing History - Key Questions syllabus and pick out the dot points that seem to jump out and interest you. If I were to choose my topic now, I would probably have chosen to centre it around forms of historical communication or changing philosophies of history (of course, you will inevitably address multiple syllabus dot points in your History Project, but you can focus on particular ones).

Also, good on you for starting on your prescribed texts! It's lovely to see such enthusiasm!

Good luck with your extension courses! Don't worry about being productive, enjoy the rest of your holidays.
I hope this helped,
Alice : D

Just saw this now, but thank you so much, I am not entirely sure I'm pursing hist ext as I may do 4 unit English but this definitely helps :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 11:23:09 pm »
+1
Hiii Naomi!!

I'm Amal, also will be doing the HSC alongside you in 2021, and have a journal up on my profile. I'm very very keen to see how you fare throughout your HSC.

Personally, I'm doing 4-unit English as well, and I advocate for it because

a. scales super well
b. skills you use in english ext 2 are transferrable to the other extension courses

But yes! Will check up on you time to time to see how you go

That's so cool! ill definitely have a read of your journal :)
I'm also definitely keen for 4-unit eng, I feel like English is a passion of mine. Have you decided what form you wanted to do for your major yet?

Also, wish you the best of luck for this upcoming year :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 11:36:28 pm »
+4
Soooooo I got prelims back (besides society and culture) and I guess I'm somewhat happy?
I know I could have done better if I continued to push my self and didn't slack off At the end (for some exams I read half my notes the night before and gave up, meaning I barely studied)

so with all transparency, here are my marks (ranks are only for exams not overall)...

Eng Adv: 73/80 (got 19/20 in every section beside my Othello question, dragging down my mark)

Eng Ext: 44/50 (actually quite proud of this mark and my improvement)

Adv Math: 44/60 (not to mad about this, definitely thought i was going to fail!)

SOR1: 40/50 (definitely expected higher, so I'm slightly disappointed)

Modern History: 67/75 (not mad but once more felt I could do better, but definitely good for 3 essays in 2 hrs!)

CAFS: 69/80 (Disappointed but barely studied so I'm aware I can do better)

SAC: to be informed :)

Overall I'm both happy and disappointed but there is always room for improvement! :)
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 08:13:58 am »
Soooooo I got prelims back (besides society and culture) and I guess I'm somewhat happy?
I know I could have done better if I continued to push my self and didn't slack off At the end (for some exams I read half my notes the night before and gave up, meaning I barely studied)

so with all transparency, here are my marks (ranks are only for exams not overall)...

Eng Adv: 73/80 (got 19/20 in every section beside my Othello question, dragging down my mark)

Eng Ext: 44/50 (actually quite proud of this mark and my improvement)

Adv Math: 44/60 (not to mad about this, definitely thought i was going to fail!)

SOR1: 40/50 (definitely expected higher, so I'm slightly disappointed)

Modern History: 67/75 (not mad but once more felt I could do better, but definitely good for 3 essays in 2 hrs!)

CAFS: 69/80 (Disappointed but barely studied so I'm aware I can do better)

SAC: to be informed :)

Overall I'm both happy and disappointed but there is always room for improvement! :)

Congratulations, those are some fantastic results! As long as you pinpointed what you could have done better during your preparation, that's all that matters. Just keep on pushing for Year 12 !
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »
+6
Just got back Society and Culture, got a 54/60 meaning I ranked first overall in the subject, just need to work on my essays for this subject, still happy though!!
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 12:59:22 pm »
+5
Congratulations, those are some fantastic results! As long as you pinpointed what you could have done better during your preparation, that's all that matters. Just keep on pushing for Year 12 !

Thankyou!! Definitely have identified what I could do better to apply in year 12. Also, best of luck in your HSC, you're gonna do great!
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 02:56:24 pm »
+3
Just got back Society and Culture, got a 54/60 meaning I ranked first overall in the subject, just need to work on my essays for this subject, still happy though!!

Congratulations! :D