Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:55 am

Author Topic: Improvements to respect system  (Read 2005 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Improvements to respect system
« on: November 29, 2014, 09:21:48 pm »
ehh not that I particularly care about having respect in this thread, but a good portion of respect given out is not given out 'deservedly'. usually it's not 'helpful' posts that get respect (though that certainly can be the case) but joke posts and the like. not that there's anything wrong with the respect system as is, but it's never going to be an indication of 'tutoring ability', not even loosely.

Fair comment. We like to discourage respect voting that doesn't reflect site contribution, so please let us know if you have any ideas for improving our system. Examples of action we've taken:

Moderator action: split topic from Class of 2014 thread
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:13:15 pm by pi »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
Re: Improvements to respect system
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »
Fair comment. We like to discourage respect voting that doesn't reflect site contribution, so please let us know if you have any ideas for improving our system. Examples of action we've taken:

Yeah, removal of respect from the uni results boards was a great move lol. Hm, on my screen it says 2 of the top rated posts of the week were from the results board though o_o but the board itself is respect free. Weird.

Perhaps have 2 separate systems? one purely on academic boards for helpfulness there (so this would be used in the tutoring section; if its really meant to be a reflection of tutoring ability I think this wouldn't even be present in say, the university discussion boards even though people can certainly be helpful there because it wouldn't have to do with how helpful they were academically) and another that's what we have now pretty much, kind of like upvotes on reddit to show that the content was good/funny/liked/whatever. Truth to be told I'm not sure if having downvotes is a good idea at all; it seems to be better to just report the post if it's actually offensive. It only seems to trigger a hive-mind mentality where downvoted posts become more downvoted just because other people have already downvoted it. not sure how viable/ clear that'd be, especially to new users though

VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:45:09 pm »
<snip of post re-posted in Class of 2014 thread>

Yeah, removal of respect from the uni results boards was a great move lol. Hm, on my screen it says 2 of the top rated posts of the week were from the results board though o_o but the board itself is respect free. Weird.

Fantastic sarcasm. The top 2 rated posts are there because they were split from the UoM General discussion thread where they had been up-voted. Unfortunately that aspect of the forum (ie. posts of the week) is not without these flaws.

if its really meant to be a reflection of tutoring ability

Actually, no. The idea is to reward people who contribute to the forum by giving them a higher standing on the tutoring register. Posting your own marks does nothing for contributions to the forum, just like posting a good gag on the "Jokes thread" doesn't contribute anything.

Regarding the rest of your post, if you feel passionately about it open the discussion up to everyone here :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:12:14 pm by pi »

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:47:14 pm »
Fantastic sarcasm. The top 2 rated posts are there because they were split from the UoM General discussion thread where they had been up-voted. Unfortunately that aspect of the forum (ie. posts of the week) is not without these flaws.
lol I was actually not being sarcastic, genuinely curious since I knew respect was removed from the boards. thanks for the explanation though

edit: i think you have misinterpeted my whole post. i am for removing respect on the results forum because it's just a circlejerk

The idea is to reward people who contribute to the forum by giving them a higher standing on the tutoring register.
sure if that's the intention then its fine as is. brenden's words, not mine

anyway i think you misinterpreted my post as being hostile
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:51:56 pm by psyxwar »
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:56:19 pm »
lol I was actually not being sarcastic, genuinely curious since I knew respect was removed from the boards. thanks for the explanation though

edit: i think you have misinterpeted my whole post. i am for removing respect on the results forum because it's just a circlejerk

Don't worry, I didn't think you were being sarcastic :)
If it's okay with you, I might split this discussion off into the suggestions board to see if it gets any more input?
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
sure, that's probably more appropriate anyway lol
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
sure if that's the intention then its fine as is. brenden's words, not mine

anyway i think you misinterpreted my post as being hostile

Oh my apologies haha! I agree with you then xD