Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:35:11 am

Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 10631 times)  Share 

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »
+3
I want to emphasise that we have a RESPECT system, not an "upvote because someone helped you" system. I sure as hell respect someone who managed straight 90s across the board at uni, and there's nothing bad about uni students posting their results here and getting positive reinforcement. And if their results are bad and they express disappointment, I've never seen a single instance where people haven't been forthcoming with advice or encouragement or kind words.

Also, on the note about tutoring and respect, I like the idea that there's some sort of correlation between a student having good results and their respect level. It means they're more likely to have a clue about what they're supposed to be tutoring. They've proven themselves capable students even at a university level, so they're more likely to be able to provide sound advice and tutoring services.
Just because someone gets good results doesn't necessarily mean that they'd be a good tutor. Let's face it, we're on AN. Most of those on the tutoring list know what they're on about anyways. Some might know everything and be able to get it right on the day, but not get the concepts and ideas across with explanations as well as others with lower scores (seen a few examples over a few years of tutoring, I'm not saying that the top results mean they'd not be a good tutor, I'm just getting at results isn't what it should be based on as it's not a direct correlation).

If you let results posts get all this respect then it doesn't encourage people helping other out on the forum. For those who need respect for the tutoring list, why put all this effort into posts and explanations to help others when you can get the same result with a single post and no contribution to the forum? I'd still help out with posts even if there weren't respect, and since I'm up there on the tutoring list at the moment not too concerned with it but others who do help out regularly will be disadvantaged. It shouldn't be about feeding others egos, rather an incentive for users to help other uses out (some of us don't need that incentive, but it encourages helping each other at least).

Don't get me wrong, I respect people who pull 90+'s out at uni, but I respect others more who are willing to give their time to continually help out others on the forum.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 01:27:09 pm »
If you want my honest opinion, I'd say that the whole respect system on this forum is becoming a little bit redundant. People are generating respect on jokes and results, when the system has been designed by the administrators to reward those who give back to the community. I'm not sure if removing it entirely is the solution, but I'd say that most people are using it incorrectly (myself included).

This is definitely true, however in the grand scheme of things I don't see it as an issue? As in if you look at the tutoring board and the main users who post "funny" posts, there isn't really a correlation with them being on the tutoring list (look at Phy, me, ShortBlackChick, etc.).

I'd hate to have a VCE forum without it's lighter moments as it'd be depressing as hell, but at the same time I don't think the current system is too bad given it so happens that many of the users who may be "undermining" the respect system actually use it for it's tutoring list ranking. So it kinda doesn't matter?

You're going to have humour rewarded in any system imo. I've seen the "like" system being operated (eg. in MSO) and even there with a bit more mature member-base (by age) funny posts get the likes. It's part of human nature to be attracted to funny posts, and a top meme will always come on top vs a helpful page of LaTeX. The only system I can see being effective is going back to a "Karma" system that we used to have BUT having each Karma being moderated my a mod so they were given for a solely academic reason. But that system would need so much effort and policing that it's not viable.

Not sure if that made any sense haha
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:32:42 pm by pi »

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 04:54:33 pm »
I think if respect is going to be removed, it should be limited to the general chat threads. Given that respect is supposed to be given for being helpful, I don't see why it should be removed from threads such as the Subject Reviews and Ratings etc. etc.

I agree with this.
The main reason I removed respect is because the default ranking system that the tutoring section uses is respect. If you do a search for tutors, the results will be ranked in order of respect. This means that tutors with higher levels of respect are more likely to be seen and thus get students.

The previous system was "karma" rather than respect and totally unconnected with anything else. When we changed things to "respect" and linked it with the tutoring section, the idea was that anyone who helped out more on the forums, and therefore accumulated more respect, would then be rewarded by being more visible in the tutoring section.

So with that context in mind I'm sure you can understand why I would like to avoid the mass-upvoting that was going on in the UoM threads. Sure, the results are excellent and worthy of praise but it completely undermines the whole purpose behind the respect system. When a student does a search for tutors, I don't want the first results to be people who (with all due respect) did nothing except brag about their results (however impressive they may be). We want the first results to be people who have accumulated respect through consistent valuable contributions to the forum.

I like the idea of a forum dedicated to university results, similar to the VCE ones that I put up every year. I'll make one tomorrow (have been up since 6.30 .: extremely tired .: staying away from admin panel in case I accidentally delete the forum).

Using the same line of reasoning, will the respect system also be removed from the monash board?
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »
Using the same line of reasoning, will the respect system also be removed from the monash board?

Of course.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
I agree with this.

Both the UoM board and Monash Uni Board have respect (it's been restored), as nina has said in a previous post with an edit.

If there is a results thread made for the Monash results it will be in the Uni results board, which has no respect enabled.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 05:03:55 pm »
Both the UoM board and Monash Uni Board have respect (it's been restored), as nina has said in a previous post with an edit.

If there is a results thread made for the Monash results it will be in the Uni results board, which has no respect enabled.

Whoops, failed to see that!
Thanks
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »
+1
I don't really agree with moving the UoM general chat to the chat and results subforum. I understand why results have been moved and the motives behind that, but I would have said that a lot of the discussion that goes on in the UoM general chat is exactly in line with what the moderators hope the respect system can achieve. UoM general chat is often used to pose questions and to seek advice, and provides a good opportunity to help other people out in those respects. Taking away the respect system from that seems silly given that the large majority of activity on that topic was exactly what the moderators seem to want from the forum...
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 05:57:07 pm »
+1
Agreed with the above.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »
I don't really agree with moving the UoM general chat to the chat and results subforum. I understand why results have been moved and the motives behind that, but I would have said that a lot of the discussion that goes on in the UoM general chat is exactly in line with what the moderators hope the respect system can achieve. UoM general chat is often used to pose questions and to seek advice, and provides a good opportunity to help other people out in those respects. Taking away the respect system from that seems silly given that the large majority of activity on that topic was exactly what the moderators seem to want from the forum...

I think the admins are hoping people would ask those questions in separate threads, so that the same questions don't get asked time and time again.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »
+1
I think the admins are hoping people would ask those questions in separate threads, so that the same questions don't get asked time and time again.

No doubt, but that's just not how people use ATARNotes and despite trying and trying to modify people's behaviour on the forum, people are always going to gravitate to the easiest method of asking those questions and that is, as it always has been, the general chat where the activity is highest. Just seems silly to me and something that I think should be reconsidered, though that's just my two bobs!  :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Turtle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:46 pm »
+2
I also think moving the general chat and results to a separate section is not the best idea.
Not as many people will visit these threads, and it is a pain in the backside to move between the different forum sections.
I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism  :)
VCE 2011: English, Chemistry, PE, Methods, Health & HD, Further

2012-2014: BSc (Melbourne Uni)

2016-2019: Medicine (Melbourne Uni)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:50 pm »
+3
Perhaps we could also introduce a system like they have on other forums, where other members can 'like' a post. This allows people to show their appreciation for posts that aren't necessarily worthy of 'respect' (such as jokes or results) while not affecting the ordering of the tuition board. It could run parallel with the respect system, or it could replace the respect system in various boards.

I like this idea. It would serve as a good way for people to show agreement with a post without having to actually post "I agree" or "This". The current respect system is already being used for this, which theoretically admin should discourage. It could also be used for stuff like that joke thread or vce/uni results. The thing is that the majority of the forum has no vested interest in respect for the purpose of tutoring advertisements. It could be like FB or Whose Line Is It Anyway where the upvotes don't tally at all and the points don't matter.

Theoretically, it shouldn't be too hard to implement either, but I personally like giving David work to do that involves improving the site, not just fixing it when Nina accidentally deletes stuff, ha ha.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:04:05 pm by Fyrefly »
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 12:43:27 am »
+1
Theoretically, it shouldn't be too hard to implement either, but I personally like giving David work to do that involves improving the site, not just fixing it when Nina accidentally deletes stuff, ha ha.

David has a lot to do at the moment actually, there is heaps of background work that you guys don't see. I'll see what he can do but I can't guarantee this will be high on his (long) list of priorities.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 02:15:09 am »
+4
Okay, moved the chat threads back

Just one thing though:
and it is a pain in the backside to move between the different forum sections.
..........................seriously? It's like 2 clicks, dude. If you have them open in separate tabs it is literally 0 clicks.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

DavidB3ck

• CTO
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I do things sometimes.
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:30 am »
I like this idea. It would serve as a good way for people to show agreement with a post without having to actually post "I agree" or "This". The current respect system is already being used for this, which theoretically admin should discourage. It could also be used for stuff like that joke thread or vce/uni results. The thing is that the majority of the forum has no vested interest in respect for the purpose of tutoring advertisements. It could be like FB or Whose Line Is It Anyway where the upvotes don't tally at all and the points don't matter.

Maayyybeee. We are very busy atm, so it would take a bit either way. Also would have to come up with a way to not make it insanely confusing having respect and this other system next to each other.