Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:03:26 am

Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 10625 times)  Share 

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
Suggestion
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:54:02 pm »
Following Russ' recommendation to post here, is it possible to bring respect back to the UoM results page?
Also was wondering what people think about negative respect being anonymous?
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:45 pm »
+3
I don't think that respect belongs in the UoM results page or the Monash results page or whatever results page.
I do think that it belongs in university boards in general but maybe not in results.

Maybe you should consider making a University Results subforum (where all unis could have their own thread for each semester in the one place)/temporary forum and remove respect there but retain it in the normal university boards considering many people make helpful contributions that actually do deserve a + or - during the semester and it seems silly to stop recognising those contributions just because of a two week period in which people post results and get un-help-related credit for it.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »
+2
I think if respect is going to be removed, it should be limited to the general chat threads. Given that respect is supposed to be given for being helpful, I don't see why it should be removed from threads such as the Subject Reviews and Ratings etc. etc.
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:49 pm »
+1
I think a good idea may be to make a "Uni Results Board", like the ones for VCE, and disable respect there leaving respect for the rest of the uni forums. I say this because there are many great posts there (reviews, recommendations, etc.) that shouldn't go without being thanked (via respect).

Although I agree that respect doesn't have a place in uni results (or *any* results) threads as it's rather pointless.

Turtle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »
How come respect got removed in the first place from the uni boards?
I think if you took a poll, most people would be in favour of it. Maybe you should do that?
VCE 2011: English, Chemistry, PE, Methods, Health & HD, Further

2012-2014: BSc (Melbourne Uni)

2016-2019: Medicine (Melbourne Uni)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:22:56 pm »
+3
How come respect got removed in the first place from the uni boards?
I think if you took a poll, most people would be in favour of it. Maybe you should do that?

If we took polls for everything we'd also have a majority wanting uploading of exams and free distribution of AN Study Guides :P

I think it's a good move given some users only post on AN to post results and it's a bit unfair (to those on the tutoring lists) for them to rake in 10-15 respect for essentially not contributing anything to help anyone for that whole year.

edit: I do agree that the rest of the uni forums should have respect, which is why I suggested a temporary uni results board as a compromise.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:26:24 pm by pi »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:35:57 pm »
+3
Respect isn't often given for the most helpful post but for the most witty or hilarious post. That's alright in moderation but it kind of breaks the system in a way. We had a system before respect (not sure how many people remember it), the reason we switched to respect was because people would do exactly the same thing (it was a bit worse in that people gave things to almost every post sometimes).

As for the uni results, they're not actually contributing to the site. It's fine to give each-other a pat on the back but i think using respect for that kind of ruins it for those who get respect for actually contributing. I think its unfortunate its disabled in the uni boards because now any help given in those doesn't get respect. As Pi said, i think the best course of action would be to have a separate uni results board or even have these threads in one of the off-topic forums.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 12:19:28 am »
+5
The main reason I removed respect is because the default ranking system that the tutoring section uses is respect. If you do a search for tutors, the results will be ranked in order of respect. This means that tutors with higher levels of respect are more likely to be seen and thus get students.

The previous system was "karma" rather than respect and totally unconnected with anything else. When we changed things to "respect" and linked it with the tutoring section, the idea was that anyone who helped out more on the forums, and therefore accumulated more respect, would then be rewarded by being more visible in the tutoring section.

So with that context in mind I'm sure you can understand why I would like to avoid the mass-upvoting that was going on in the UoM threads. Sure, the results are excellent and worthy of praise but it completely undermines the whole purpose behind the respect system. When a student does a search for tutors, I don't want the first results to be people who (with all due respect) did nothing except brag about their results (however impressive they may be). We want the first results to be people who have accumulated respect through consistent valuable contributions to the forum.

I like the idea of a forum dedicated to university results, similar to the VCE ones that I put up every year. I'll make one tomorrow (have been up since 6.30 .: extremely tired .: staying away from admin panel in case I accidentally delete the forum).
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 01:18:18 am »
+4
(have been up since 6.30 .: extremely tired .: staying away from admin panel in case I accidentally delete the forum).

I double dare you

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:17 am »
The main reason I removed respect is because the default ranking system that the tutoring section uses is respect.

Which isn't really the worst thing seeing as that the highest results in nearly all cases attract the most respect, something you'd think you'd want in a tutor in any case.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:27:07 am »
Also if your tutor is the most witty or hilarious you're gonna have a better time so no issues there either.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

ninwa

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 01:31:40 am »
Which isn't really the worst thing seeing as that the highest results in nearly all cases attract the most respect, something you'd think you'd want in a tutor in any case.

Read the rest of my post - the intention was to reward those who made a positive contribution to the website. It's not like tutoring ads don't mention the tutor's academic achievements at all.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 12:10:30 pm »
I want to emphasise that we have a RESPECT system, not an "upvote because someone helped you" system. I sure as hell respect someone who managed straight 90s across the board at uni, and there's nothing bad about uni students posting their results here and getting positive reinforcement. And if their results are bad and they express disappointment, I've never seen a single instance where people haven't been forthcoming with advice or encouragement or kind words.

Also, on the note about tutoring and respect, I like the idea that there's some sort of correlation between a student having good results and their respect level. It means they're more likely to have a clue about what they're supposed to be tutoring. They've proven themselves capable students even at a university level, so they're more likely to be able to provide sound advice and tutoring services.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

ninwa

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »
But that would mean that all the UoM students would have a significant advantage over VCE students who currently want to tutor and who arguably contribute more to the forum. There aren't as many VCE results to boast about and collect respect over.

edit: while posting this I almost accidentally deleted the entire tertiary forum. awesome
edit2: results board added, respect restored to the rest
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:53:52 pm by ninwa »

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »
+5
Why is it that everyone thinks that having respect is alright for university results but not VCE results? This has been going on for far too long and I don't think there's any valid argument for having respect for either. I've been paying close attention and many people simply come back and post on these forums after six months' absense to post their results and generate a heap of respect. In my opinion, that is not something I'd say is very respectful. I've also noticed that those who get better results generally tend to get more respect, which is just downputting for all of those who put in heaps of effort during the semester/year and did the best they could, but didn't achieve exceptionally high results. Again, that isn't too respectful either, is it?

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say that the whole respect system on this forum is becoming a little bit redundant. People are generating respect on jokes and results, when the system has been designed by the administrators to reward those who give back to the community. I'm not sure if removing it entirely is the solution, but I'd say that most people are using it incorrectly (myself included). I think it probably needs to be scaled back a lot more than it already has been. Perhaps we could also introduce a system like they have on other forums, where other members can 'like' a post. This allows people to show their appreciation for posts that aren't necessarily worthy of 'respect' (such as jokes or results) while not affecting the ordering of the tuition board. It could run parallel with the respect system, or it could replace the respect system in various boards.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne