Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 03:19:06 pm

Author Topic: Do we need to know...  (Read 1568 times)  Share 

psychlaw

Do we need to know...
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:53:26 pm »
I've seen a lot of random and unheard of things in practise exams so I thought I'd make a list of those to see what we need to / don't need to know

DO WE NEED TO KNOW anything about  (SO FAR)

(a) The cocktail party effect
(b) Association Areas
(c) How to draw the results of a Polygraph (it came up in a STAV exam I think)
(d) Stuff about "hypnogogic states"
(e) Bottom up / Top down processing (ive heard this around but don't actually know what it is - do we need to know it?

If we do, could you please write what we need to know about the things from the list that we do need to know

I will be adding more

If your also confused about stuff we need to know, feel free to add them to this thread and I'll try my best to help out

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Do we need to know...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:05:35 pm »
i think we'll need to know b, d, e
bottom up processing - involves processing information by beginning with the individual parts of a stimulus and gradually building up to the final representation
top down - using psychological factors such as context and past experience to interpret and assign meaning to a visual stimulus

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »
a) No. But it's an interesting thing to know about
b) Definitely. Know about the association areas of each lobe and what they are responsible for.
c) Know what the results of a polygraph look like, but I wouldn't be too worried about having to actually draw them.
d) Hynogogic- a definition would be sufficient. That is, it is a transition period from being awake to being asleep. (slow, rolling eye movements characterise this).
e) Simply know the definitions for these to be safe. These were terms from the old study design.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:14:30 pm »
do we need to know about the motor, somatosensory, auditory and visual association areas, as well as each respective lobe's assocation area?

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:18:52 pm »
do we need to know about the motor, somatosensory, auditory and visual association areas, as well as each respective lobe's assocation area?

Yes, it would be advantageous to do so. Although, VCAA never seem to be too keen on testing association areas.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:01:40 pm »
i think we'll need to know b, d, e
bottom up processing - involves processing information by beginning with the individual parts of a stimulus and gradually building up to the final representation
top down - using psychological factors such as context and past experience to interpret and assign meaning to a visual stimulus
Also useful to add this:

Bottom-up
  - Gestalt principles
  - Constancies
  - Depth cues

Top-down
  - Perceptual set (expectancy)

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 10:49:06 pm »
Gestalt principles are top-down because they suggest that you perceive an image as a whole as opposed to its little components. As an aside, reading also tends to be top-down.

I'm not really sure where constancies and depth cues fit.

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:12 am »
Gestalt principles are top-down because they suggest that you perceive an image as a whole as opposed to its little components. As an aside, reading also tends to be top-down.

I'm not really sure where constancies and depth cues fit.
O rly?

My teacher told me otherwise... They may be seen as bottom-up, because they still start at low level features such as lines and build up to a complete perception?