Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:15:26 am

Author Topic: How do you diagnose psychological things  (Read 1081 times)  Share 

cara.mel

How do you diagnose psychological things
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »
Yes, outsider coming to ask questions that may or may not be in VCE. :o

Is it just a process of going 'Hi there, this label looks good for you, you can have it for only $99.95 + $30 postage and handling' or what. I really have no idea.

So say if these conditions existed:
- an infatuation with Charmeleon. (the pokemon)
- Over consumption of carrots, leading to being able to see in the dark and hence not being able to sleep because it is too bright.

Now lets have a theoretical Carrot Consumer who we shall call John Citizen. He is having lots of trouble trying to sleep, which isn't very good because he dislikes this constant Zombie-like state so he wants to know what the hell is going on. He goes and answers questions and they explain to him how he could possibly suffer from Carrot Eating Disorder due to information he provided that John must have at least 4 carrots at every meal, or he will go cry in a corner out of distress. So after this, he decides to slowly try and cut back on the Carrots but it is not very effective, so he learns to deal with no sleep and popping Mao's tablet (http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,3236.0.html) to try and get to sleep.
5 years later he learns that his love of Charmeleon is directly linked to carrot-eating, but as he saw liking pokemon to be an although slightly abnormal but un-interfering thing in his life, and had no idea the two were linked, he learns he did not have Carrot Eating Disorder at all and that Charmeleon is the problem. Or is it?
(I have a charmeleon on my pencil case. No mudkip jokes here.)

How are you supposed to know if there's anything a layer deeper. How are you supposed to know if what you see on the surface is what is actually going on, or just a side effect of something else.

Also, being slightly less silly:
Say you present with symptoms of a headache, coughing, tired etc. How are you supposed to connect that with any specific thing. Surely that has 50 connections, how do you know if you hit the right one.
Because you could find something called 'the common cold' and go OMG THAT SOUNDS GOOD I SOOOOOOOOOO MUST HAVE THAT when that might not be it, there still might be things you're overlooking. how do you know if you're right.

cara.mel

Re: How do you diagnose psychological things
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:46:22 pm »
Bumpy but with different questions, so disregard most of the first post:

1. I still don't really understand how differential diagnosis can work. Now I can see it puts you roughly in the right area, but being specific, nope not at all.
It really frustrates me in that you don't know if you are giving the right answer, especially for comparison questions with other people. How are you supposed to know if your definition of what is 'normal' is consistent with the widely accepted view of what is 'normal'. Because sometimes I've truthfully answered yes to something when someone else being asked the same thing about me will truthfully answer no.
So if you don't even have confidence in that, how can you draw any conclusions out of it. o_O.

2. How do you go about finding self-help things, because google isn't helping me, and RL is going too slow.

jess3254

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:37:30 pm »
Well, I still don’t really understand exactly what your question is, so I am going to break it down into segments… (I apologise if I have not properly answered it.) Sorry about my vagueness. (Also, this isn’t really taught in VCE psychology; your question is very much intertwined with philosophy.)

a) The use of differential diagnosis and the problems associated with it.

In medicine (generally) diagnosis is aided by the use of technologies such as scans and blood tests. However in psychiatry, obviously one of the only methods used in determining the problem the person has would be a list of their symptoms. I think various problems arise from the use of this method. Firstly, you can’t be certain you have the correct diagnosis and the aetiology of the symptoms isn’t actually physiological as opposed to somatic or psychological (psychiatry is an underdeveloped field; I believe a majority of mental illness is actually physiological.) There also could be diseases and conditions that haven’t been discovered yet etc. So, the answer to the question (which was in your first post):
‘How do you know you’ve got the right diagnosis, when there could potentially be fifty connections?’

Well, quite simply, you don’t. It’s all a matter of trial and error. Doctors nominate the most likely diagnosis, attempt to treat it and then go from there. (Note: Sometimes, some illnesses can have unique characteristics, and thus easier to identify)

b) What is normal?

Going back to the VCE/ IB psychology course, psychologists have a framework for defining what is abnormal/ normal behaviour. It’s called, ‘the 6 approaches to normality’. (This is just to give you an idea of how we’re taught psychologists define it.)

The approaches:

The Sociocultural approach:
The Sociocultural approach basically defines abnormality as a failure to conform with social norms, or if you behave in a manner which is not socially acceptable etc.

Limitations of this approach:
Obviously definitions of ‘normal’ and ‘abnormal’ behaviour vary from culture to culture and country to country etc. 

The functional approach:
Refers to how someone functions in society, and how an individual can perform tasks such as attending school, getting out of bed or eating sufficiently. So, under this approach, someone who cannot take care of him or herself adequately would be defined as abnormal.

Limitations:
Doesn’t necessarily take their situation into account. For example, someone may be unable to attend school or get out of bed due to illness.

Historical approach: 
This approach essentially takes the era in which the behaviour occurred into account. So, if you participated in an activity in 1965 that was considered normal in 1965 but abnormal in 2008, it would be considered ‘normal’. I think. Yeah.

The situational approach:
The situational approach considers the situation or environment in which the behaviour was carried out. (If that makes sense.) For example, some people may consider excessive crying abnormal, however not if it was at a funeral or after a loved one had passed away.
Another example: laughing could be classified as normal. But not at a funeral.
Painting the exterior of your house might be considered a pretty normal behaviour. But it wouldn’t be if it were pouring with rain when you were doing it.

Limitations: doesn’t take culture into account and such.

The medical approach:
Basically, it considers all abnormal behaviour to have a physical/biological aetiology. Someone behaving in a NORMAL fashion just symbolises the absence of certain physical impairments.

Limitations: is reductionist. Mental illness may be caused by environmental and biological factors etc.

The statistical approach:
The ‘statistical approach’ uses statistics to determine the most common characteristics and behaviours occurring within society. Behaviour which are common statistically are considered normal.

Disadvantages of the approach: The most commonly occurring characteristics are not necessarily normal. For example, a large proportion of teenagers binge drink. Does that make it normal?

So, as you can see, there are also various problems associated with classifying abnormal/ normal behaviour. Psychology is a grey area. There's a lot we don't know. But, basically behaviour which is considered abnormal under all or one of the approaches above would be considered 'abnormal'.

c) self-help websites

It depends what sort of self-help websites.
Here's a website which has a large list of psychology websites which you can visit and find information:

http://psychlib.princeton.edu/links.htm

d) "Because sometimes I've truthfully answered yes to something when someone else being asked the same thing about me will truthfully answer no"
That's all a matter of individual perception; it varies from person to person. In one person's eyes you may be one thing, however in another's you may be something different. So you never do know... lol.

Sorry, that probably didn't answer your questions lol.

cara.mel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:29:53 pm »
It did help a little bit :)

I just find it funny that if I'm supposed to have trouble understanding and relating to other people, they keep asking me to try and compare myself to them. XD

How do you self learn social skills and empathy and stuff.

I only found out a few weeks ago that there is a reason why I act the way I do and I'm not just a horrible, selfish person.
I keep doing things to hurt the people I love and not knowing until they bring it up again a few weeks later, and as well as going 'oh shi-', it makes me wonder to what extent I am now grasping the situation and if I still don't really understand what I have done
I have got to stop this I have got to change this its not fair on other people I dont want to hurt them

daniel99

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:03:26 pm »
It did help a little bit :)

I just find it funny that if I'm supposed to have trouble understanding and relating to other people, they keep asking me to try and compare myself to them. XD

How do you self learn social skills and empathy and stuff.

I only found out a few weeks ago that there is a reason why I act the way I do and I'm not just a horrible, selfish person.
I keep doing things to hurt the people I love and not knowing until they bring it up again a few weeks later, and as well as going 'oh shi-', it makes me wonder to what extent I am now grasping the situation and if I still don't really understand what I have done
I have got to stop this I have got to change this its not fair on other people I dont want to hurt them

If they dont like you for who you are then dont worry about them. You sound as though your personality is a really bad problem and you seem pretty 'normal' to me.

The people that 'love' you should tell you what your doing wrong at the time, not weeks later, so you realise what you have done and can change that aspect of your personilty.

I dont think it is that serious that you have to find ways to cure yourself or see a psychologist, when you are perfectly 'normal'

cara.mel

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
No no, I'm not 'normal'. :)

I am just mainly annoyed at how slow RL goes about it and how I can't be self sufficient to find stuff, so I'll have to wait for monthssssssssssssss.