Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:17:29 am

Author Topic: Exam :)  (Read 12048 times)  Share 

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Exam :)
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 11:13:10 pm »
Quote from: "SxG"
With the one about the researcher using 3 assistants to look after the three conditions. Could I say the confounding variable is experimental variable? Such as how the experimenter would unwantedly affect the dv due to his expectation and bias

Coz it said confounding variable so I went with describing a different type of variable, if it said effect I definitely would've went experimenter effect, but I dunno if it's also acceptable

My teacher said it's fix ratio but with those ones, it's hard to tell

Fixed ratio??? Did they explain why?? Are you referring to Q 33??
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

SxG

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 11:26:53 pm »
High and steady rate without pauses is what they wanted. The highest rate of responses generated amongst the schedules is fix ratio. It also ensures a steady rate of response because the rats know exactly how many responses will get them a food so they keep pressing steadily again and again

Variable on the other hand is more resistant to extinction

If you argue that because the rat knows the amount of times he'll need to press the lever to be reinforced means they'd either get bored or not do it until they want it, then you can also argue that because variable is random, some rats might pause for a while because they mightn't get reinforced for a long time

That's at least what the teacher told me, she could be wrong. I myself thought it was variable ratio

Edit: Just checked on wiki, all fixed schedules provide pauses after each reinforcement, so variable ratio has to be it

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2007, 01:27:03 am »
It is variable ratio, because the rat knows it will get a reward ONE time it presses the button, so it presses it as rapidly as posisbl eto increase the chances

Also, the confounding variable she was "TRYING" to control was Experimenter effects. Yes its where the experimenter influences the participants or their results because of their own expectations for the experiemnt.

(She used a double blind procedure)
Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Light a man ON fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

fyl_000

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Re: Exam :)
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 10:15:06 pm »

Odette

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2007, 10:20:29 pm »

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 10:21:43 pm »
Could you please refrain from quoting that list of picture attachments? It's a pain in the ass to scroll down, haha.

Timtasticle

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »
Quote from: "coblin"
Could you please refrain from quoting that list of picture attachments? It's a pain in the ass to scroll down, haha.

Haha, I second that.

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:05 pm »
Quote from: "fyl_000"

hey.. for SA question 16.. i said a confounding variable could have been the participants motivation, as they could get bored doing a similar thing three times, and i said a reward could have been offered to keep them interested.. u reckon that would get the marks or am i way off??

yeah you should get the mark, thats another problem caused by repeated measures... but its not the one they would have been looking for if they were only after 1... but uslaly on past exams tehyve accepted multiple examples

Odette

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 10:25:07 pm »

Ok sorry ..

fyl_000

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 10:33:08 pm »
Quote from: "Odette"

Ok sorry ..

haha, scrolling takes a whole 5 seconds.. sorry i no that 5 seconds is a waste of ur life and u could have used that to study for ur next exam.. my bad... i thought it was more painful scrolling through people fight over the negative reinforcement question.. 38.. like its D, and even if its not, its one fukin mark.. reading through that was a time waster..

meh

fyl_000

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2007, 10:34:45 pm »

Ok sorry ..

haha, scrolling takes a whole 5 seconds.. sorry i no that 5 seconds is a waste of ur life and u could have used that to study for ur next exam.. my bad... i thought it was more painful scrolling through people fight over the negative reinforcement question.. 38.. like its D, and even if its not, its one fukin mark.. reading through that was a time waster..

meh

Odette

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2007, 10:36:51 pm »
double post :P

Galelleo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2007, 10:50:58 pm »
Quote from: "fyl_000"

Ok sorry ..

meh

noone forced you to read anything.

We were just saying its inconvenient and unnecessary.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with healthy debate over a question. execept perhaps that it distracts from next studying