Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:46:40 am

Author Topic: Malaria HSC question  (Read 1975 times)  Share 

Victorious

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Malaria HSC question
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:12:04 am »
Hi,
This question popped up in the 2016 HSC paper

Name an infectious disease and explain how ONE host response is a defence adaptation. (3 marks)
>My class did MALARIA

and i realised i have almost no detail on host response - does any have a really simple explanation and some examples to share with me!

Thank you

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
Re: Malaria HSC question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:15:35 pm »
+4
Hi,
This question popped up in the 2016 HSC paper

Name an infectious disease and explain how ONE host response is a defence adaptation. (3 marks)
>My class did MALARIA

and i realised i have almost no detail on host response - does any have a really simple explanation and some examples to share with me!

Thank you

Really simply, for the host response you can say: "Producing antibodies and a fever"

Or if you want to go into greater depth you can elaborate on the "producing antibodies" bit by talking about the immune response (ie. humoral response [B cells - which you would've learned a lot about in other points in the syllabus)  :)
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:49 pm »
+1
Really simply, for the host response you can say: "Producing antibodies and a fever"

Or if you want to go into greater depth you can elaborate on the "producing antibodies" bit by talking about the immune response (ie. humoral response [B cells - which you would've learned a lot about in other points in the syllabus)  :)

For questions like these, can we use the immune response as a defence adaption? I thought we would have to use the ones listed in the dot-point about defence adaptations such as cell death to pathogen, inflammation response, phagocytosis and lymph system.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

KT Nyunt

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:57:02 pm »
For questions like these, can we use the immune response as a defence adaption? I thought we would have to use the ones listed in the dot-point about defence adaptations such as cell death to pathogen, inflammation response, phagocytosis and lymph system.

Oooo that's a good point. Yes I believe you're right, since they used that exact terminology in the question. (and those things are technically still host responses as they are still defence mechanisms of the host against pathogens)

Since this is a three marker though, I would only use inflammation response and phagocytosis - as this is what you'd typically imagine occurring for a patient with malaria. [The Anopheles mosquito would bite the skin, breaching the skin barrier and inducing a inflammation response. Macrophages would engulf any entering foreign material and destroy it using lysosomes etc.]
HSC 2018:

And more...

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:06:27 pm »
Oooo that's a good point. Yes I believe you're right, since they used that exact terminology in the question. (and those things are technically still host responses as they are still defence mechanisms of the host against pathogens)

Since this is a three marker though, I would only use inflammation response and phagocytosis - as this is what you'd typically imagine occurring for a patient with malaria. [The Anopheles mosquito would bite the skin, breaching the skin barrier and inducing a inflammation response. Macrophages would engulf any entering foreign material and destroy it using lysosomes etc.]

Ahh yes that would be a good way to answer it. But now I checked the sample on the NESA website for this question and they used B/T lymphocytes so idek anymore HAHAHA.

I guess they both are correct (even though the syllabus refers to defence adaptations are something else smh).
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

KT Nyunt

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 10:19:15 pm »
Ahh yes that would be a good way to answer it. But now I checked the sample on the NESA website for this question and they used B/T lymphocytes so idek anymore HAHAHA.

I guess they both are correct (even though the syllabus refers to defence adaptations are something else smh).

Ahhh well when they ask for 'host response' the usual answer is "producing antibodies" which involves B lymphocytes. I guess since the lymph system was part of the 'defence adaptations' according to the stimulus, then the B cells and T cells are also part of these defence adaptations ..... ?
HSC 2018:

And more...