Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:02:16 am

Author Topic: how hard is global politics?  (Read 7934 times)  Share 

skyersie

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
how hard is global politics?
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:28:43 pm »
Hi there! Im currently in y10 and working out my subject selection for VCE.
At my school its compulsory to drop a subject from y11 to y12 (12 units vs 10 units or w/e) so many people (including most of my friends) started a units 1/2 in y10 and take their final exams in y11. I'm not however.  I realised it would mean one less subject added to my ATAR, and since I'm aiming for a 90, its essentially putting me behind.
I was hoping to do units 3/4 of a subject in year 11 that would putting me on the same level as everyone else, and I was considering Global politics. As far as I know there's no 1/2 units for the subject so I wouldn't have to worry about catching up. I love politics in general and keep up with it constantly, so I'll most likely still complete it whether in y11 or 12. I love the humanities, history, economics, all that. I'm just asking what's your experience with the Global Politics and if it would be alright for a y11? Thankyou!
Currently year 10 & still working out what i wanna be ;D

2018:
japanese[1/2] • physics[1/2] • methods[1/2] • history[1/2] • english[1/2] • legal[3/4]

allineedisapass

• Fresh Poster
  • Just a pass, please
Re: how hard is global politics?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:42 am »
I'm doing 3/4 (best GloPol school in state) and I think it's pretty manageable/enjoyable but the most important thing to know is that it's really a history subject with a thick layer of politics coating, at least currently. You might enjoy politics but if you aren't willing to accept that its marked like history you'll like have a bad time.
2016 (Scaled): Methods (45)
2017: Further, GloPol, Chem, Eco, Eng

triandra

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:35:24 pm »
I didn't do Units 3/4 in Yr 11, and am instead doing them in Yr 12 (after doing Units 1/2 of Australian and Global Politics last year). However, I know a number of people who did take it in Yr 11 without any Unit 1/2 background (at least one of them isn't even that much into politics), and you should know that it is entirely possible to do well. It is considered a difficult humanities subject, however as long as you're smart about your study, you should be fine. All general VCE tips like read the study design apply (but seriously especially for global), and keep in mind that anything from before 2000 is for the most part irrelevant (by this I mean your case studies - unless it started before 2000 and is still happening). Also know that the study design is changing again for next year (2018), in that what is considered 'recent' will change again (post 2005 I think), and the World Trade Organisation is being taken off as well (lucky ducks in the years to come who only have to study 3 IGOs ;) ).
Feel free to ask me to clarify anything I've written here.
Goodluck with choosing your subjects and with your studies in general~ :)

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »
The people in my school that did it were really interested in politics but didn't score that well. But someone has to take those top scores! Do you know if your Global Politics teacher is experienced or a VCAA Assessor? I think this would give you a huge advantage.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:48:07 pm by exit »
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

occidit

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 10:03:00 pm »
I did politics without the 1/2 and it was ok, what do you consider 'doing well'?

Like any subject, you can catch up with effort, and luckily for politics, the 1/2 is not really relevant to the 3/4, so you should be fine there.
Keep in mind that the study design is changing though, as someone else said.
Bio, Methods, Glopol, MUEP Bio, Eng Lang, German, Chem, Physics

2018-2022 Bbiomedsciadvhons

alipinney

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »
Dont do it, ive failed my first two sacs (and i have tried really hard)