Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:22:23 pm

Author Topic: does my core text HAVE to come first in my essay  (Read 1734 times)

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
does my core text HAVE to come first in my essay
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:38:54 pm »
hello :)

so im writing my discovery essay and my thesis is something like humanity's propensity to discover prompts individuals and societies to change .... (the rest is irrelevant to this) . i want to focus my core text (bill brysons, short history of nearly everything - a.s.h.o.n.e) on societal change. and my related on individual change.

but ashone is my core text. and my thesis lists individuals first, but ashone focusses on society not individuals. and im told that the order you list them in your thesis should be the order you talk about them.

im thinking, if i just change my thesis to "...humanitys propensity to discover prompts social and individual, it'd sound a bit awkward.

so (if that makes any sense) should i tlk about my related first (individuals) and then core text (society) so that the scope of disocveries impacts broadens as my essay goes on??

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: does my core text HAVE to come first in my essay
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:49:43 pm »
+3
While the vast majority of essays definitely do put the core first, there's no place that says it has to be this way, and looking at the criteria, I can't see anything that infers the core has to go first. Happy for someone to disagree, but it seems like you've got the grounds to make a very successful essay from the sounds of it, so I'd give it a shot! If it doesn't work out, you can re-arrange it and see which way it sounds better :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:44:05 pm »
+1
thank you! :D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:20:08 am »
+1
Agreeing with

While the vast majority of essays definitely do put the core first, there's no place that says it has to be this way, and looking at the criteria, I can't see anything that infers the core has to go first. Happy for someone to disagree, but it seems like you've got the grounds to make a very successful essay from the sounds of it, so I'd give it a shot! If it doesn't work out, you can re-arrange it and see which way it sounds better :)
Tbh, i personally put my core first because it is the RELATED text so they need to know what ideas im relating it too, however if your essay flows better that way go for it! LIke Elyse said, it doesnt need to follow any particular structure :)

martinnguyen1778

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:35:13 am »
+1

Hi ilovemycat,

I agree with Elyse. I somehow find it more interesting to writing the core text first and then the related text follows. It just makes for sense to me personally

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 11:17:43 pm »
What I was always told is that the related text is supposed to support the analysis of the core text, but if placing the related before the core works better for your thesis, then it should be okay?
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:11 pm »
My teacher said to me that core should come first but I mean... she probably just thinks and has no idea. I actually think it would be more interested for a marker to read it as related and then core...

LegendDan70

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:53:43 am »
+1
hello :)

so im writing my discovery essay and my thesis is something like humanity's propensity to discover prompts individuals and societies to change .... (the rest is irrelevant to this) . i want to focus my core text (bill brysons, short history of nearly everything - a.s.h.o.n.e) on societal change. and my related on individual change.

but ashone is my core text. and my thesis lists individuals first, but ashone focusses on society not individuals. and im told that the order you list them in your thesis should be the order you talk about them.

im thinking, if i just change my thesis to "...humanitys propensity to discover prompts social and individual, it'd sound a bit awkward.

so (if that makes any sense) should i tlk about my related first (individuals) and then core text (society) so that the scope of disocveries impacts broadens as my essay goes on??

Hello,

I also have to use Bill Bryson's text (ASHONE) as my core for discovery and my teacher recommended that a non-integrated core, related, core, related structure be used as it is easier to adapt in exams and, if done well, can almost always secure you a 14/15 or a 15/15 (depending on how well you answered the question)!

Hope this helps!

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 11:27:39 am »
Well, ASHONE isn't only about societal change. It also has some individual aspects, for example when Bryson comments on Wispar (Science Red in Tooth and Claw), or Le Gentil's failed attempt to view the passage of Venus from India...

basically, if you look hard enough, you should be able to find enough evidence to support both arguments. You might want to talk about individual and societal for ASHONE and your related, it might make your essay bettee, especially if you integrate them.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:30:12 am by dermite »
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

FutureLawStudent

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:47:30 pm »
+1
Hi,

I've spoken to a few teachers about these structural issues, including a couple of senior markers for adv and Ext I. What I've essentially been told is that the core text is far more critical to the success of your response.

The primary reason for this is that the core text is the base for comparison with other students. In the limited amount of time you have, you can only conjure so much original and creative insight into the texts. Given the fact that the core text is the text that you study in class, and the text that there are likely more resources for (such as journal articles), it's probably far more likely that you'll be able to produce better analysis and insight into the text. Thus, you'll want to put your best foot forward. Placing the core first will allow for the marker to more easily distinguish the (hopefully stronger) analysis/essay, as they'll have a much stronger frame of reference for the quality of your work. This is important given the fact that some external markers spend 2 minutes marking an essay.

Ultimately, the purpose of your related text is to strengthen your thesis by providing a counterpoint and/or additional evidence. You can easily get away with having 60% core and 40% RT in an essay, but not the other way round. Generally I personally want my core to be the ground from which my thesis is evolved, with the RT acting to add nuance and a different perspective but concurring response.

Of course, English teachers love to disagree, and there's always an exception to the rule, just remember that its called the "core" text for a reason.