Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:21 pm

Author Topic: can someone mark my extended response on nervous system functioning please  (Read 1039 times)  Share 

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
hey guys

basically i just wanted feedback on my extended response scenario i did on nervous system functioning so would be appreciated if feedback was given: I wrote the scenario + the question + my response . In terms of feedback i'm looking for mostly these things.

- what i did well
- what areas i need to improve in
- sentence structure (if i am writing in the correct format and using the write terms in my response)
- and also since this is out of 10 can you tell me how much would i get out of 10 please thank you.

And also feel free to add anything else that i may have missed

Scenario: Max has just turned 5 and for his birthday his parents gave him a spiderman bike. As soon as he unwraps it he pleads with his father to take him for a ride. It is very windy outside, but eventually his father agrees. While Max is riding, a big gust of wind blows up and Max shuts his eyes to try to prevent the dust getting in them. Unfortunately, this causes him to swerve out onto the road. His father sees this all happening and runs to grab Max off the road and out of harm’s way.

Outline at least 4 different nervous systems that are active in this scenario. Ensure you acknowledge the interactive nature of these nervous systems. (10 Marks)

My Response

In this scenario, different nervous systems were activated to cause different responses. In this example, while Max is riding his bike, his somatic nervous system has been activated. This leads to him being able to move his skeletal muscles to ride his bike and he does this voluntarily. While Max was riding his bike, a gust of wind being blown causes Max to shut his eyes so that dust does not go into them. This activated the autonomic nervous system as Max was not in control of this response. When Max swerves out of the road and his father sees that happening his body goes into the fight- flight-freeze mode which happens when the sympathetic nervous system is activated. The information he processes of the situation goes to the Central    Nervous System (CNS) and then forms a decision. Then he chooses to fight the situation which leads to information being sent to the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) which led the father to grab Max off the road. These nervous systems are all interactive with each other as one system triggers another system based on the situation you are being faced with. The Central Nervous System (CNS) and Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) would always be connected to any response as their roles is to convey information to the brain and back to the body (PNS). In every situation different nervous systems can activate but it depends on what response/ feeling you associate with that situation thus leaving different nervous systems to operate and some of them might not activate because they are not needed in that situation.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
+2
Hey amanaazim!  ;D Here is the feedback.

In this scenario, different nervous systems were activated to cause different responses. In this example, while Max is riding his bike, his somatic nervous system has been activated. This leads to him being able to move his skeletal muscles to ride his bike and he does this voluntarily. You should expand here. Describe the specific processes involved. Max touched the bike > Sensory receptors were activated > Transmitted information to sensory neurons > Transmitted to the brain for processing about what Max should do > Motor information transmitted from brain to effector muscles in Max’s hands and legs > they contract, allowing Max to manoeuvre his legs and ride his bike around. You could also talk about the other voluntary actions: Max unwrapping the present and pleading with his father.While Max was riding his bike, a gust of wind being blown causes Max to shut his eyes so that dust does not go into them. This activated the autonomic nervous system as Max was not in control of this response. I think we should rephrase it differently here since the autonomic nervous system is always ‘working’. For eg: heart is always beating, breathing. ‘The autonomic nervous system allows Max to reflexively shut his eyes. You could also say: this system helps regulate automatic functions of the body.  When Max swerves out of the road and his father sees that happening his body goes into the fight- flight-freeze mode which is activated by which happens when the sympathetic nervous system is activated. You could define fight-flight response: A sudden and involuntary response to an immediate threat in readiness for fight: confronting the threat, flight: escaping from the threat and freeze: staying absolutely still and silent.. You could also talk about the SAM Pathway which activates the sympathetic nervous system and allows F-F-F to occur. So (upon detecting the threat of Max in potential danger) : Max's father's hypothalamus activates his sympathetic nervous system, this system stimulates the adrenal medulla to release the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline (also act as excitatory neurotransmitters) which activate his  organs such as heart, making it beat faster. This results in increased energy and heightened arousal in the father's body allowing him to run faster to grab Max off the road. The information he processes of the situation goes to the Central  Nervous System (CNS) (we could mention it is made up of the brain and spinal cord where spinal cord transmits info to the brain)and then forms a decision. Then he chooses to fight the situation which leads to information being sent to the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) which led the father to grab Max off the road. We could put this before the sympathetic nervous system is mentioned.These nervous systems are all interactive with each other as one system triggers another system based on the situation you are being faced with. The Central Nervous System (CNS) and Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) would always be connected to any response as their roles is to convey information to the brain and back to the body (PNS). In every situation different nervous systems can activate not ncessarily activate. For example: central nervous system is always there but it depends on what response/ feeling you associate with that situation thus leaving different nervous systems to operate and some of them might not activate because they are not needed in that situation.

What you did well:
- You answered the question very well, meaning that you described the interactive nature of the nervous systems in a very detailed way.
- You also linked the scenario to the psychological knowledge which was really good.
- Clear and logical explanation.

What you could improve on:
- Fleshing out some of your points. You could add more detail to the sympathetic nervous system/F-F-F response for instance. Try to add as much detail as you can, of course making sure it is relevant to the question, because it is a 10-mark question so the examiners expect you to go all out.
- I suggest that you edit your work when you have written your answer because in some places, there are grammatical errors that can be fixed, allowing the response to flow better