Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:21:46 pm

Author Topic: ATAR anxiety creeping in  (Read 3364 times)

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
ATAR anxiety creeping in
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:21:08 am »
hi,
so atar results are releasing next week and i now everybody right now in year 12 is experiencing atar anxiety or at least some or little bit. I know its quite normal feeling to experience but im getting really nervous and my brain is just getting bombarded with so many fears about my atar
even tho i did manage to do very well in all my sacs for all my subjects throughout the year (averaging 80- 100% across all subjects i didnt do as well on the exams cause my handwriting got really bad and also i didnt have time to give full responses to alll questions and some or even most questions i poorly answered, and now i can imagine all my study scores being as low as 25. i got a 40 plus for my one unit 3/4 last year but this year i dont know what happened. is there hope of me getting a 70 plus atar even if i did really bad on exams and that with low scaling subjects.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
Re: ATAR anxiety creeping in
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 12:32:51 am »
hi,
so atar results are releasing next week and i now everybody right now in year 12 is experiencing atar anxiety or at least some or little bit. I know its quite normal feeling to experience but im getting really nervous and my brain is just getting bombarded with so many fears about my atar
even tho i did manage to do very well in all my sacs for all my subjects throughout the year (averaging 80- 100% across all subjects i didnt do as well on the exams cause my handwriting got really bad and also i didnt have time to give full responses to alll questions and some or even most questions i poorly answered, and now i can imagine all my study scores being as low as 25. i got a 40 plus for my one unit 3/4 last year but this year i dont know what happened. is there hope of me getting a 70 plus atar even if i did really bad on exams and that with low scaling subjects.
Calm down your gonna be fine. Most likely your just overthinking it because results are so close =)

The anxiety is normal but if you find that's all your thinking about, do something to get your mind off it. Maybe go and hang out with some friends or something and you'll find it can calm you down.

People say it a lot but it's genuinely okay if you don't get the Atar you wanted. It's Australia and unlike some other countries there's so many different ways to get into university. So keep your head held high and don't think of the worst thing that can happen constantly.

All the best! I hope you get the marks and atar that you desire =)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Re: ATAR anxiety creeping in
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:29:02 am »
I was in a similar position 3 years ago :) as ATAR release date approached I convinced myself that I didn't work hard enough and didn't do well enough in my exams to even get a 70. I ended up getting a mid-high 90s score and all that stress was for nothing!

Our brains are really good at second guessing ourselves and over-analysing everything we've done and then amplifying all our worries so they blow out of proportion. There's nothing you can do now to change your scores (whatever they may be), so what's left is you just need to take your mind off ATARs (easier said than done) and try calm your mind a bit. A trick I learnt with my psych that has been great is when I have thoughts that make me really anxious, I write dot points down that are for and against it and look at the facts - I find this usually helps me see that my anxiety over whatever it is happening is out of proportion and it teaches me to adjust my emotional response. I'd also suggest trying some mindfulness apps or something like that! Anything that can help distract you, really.

I'm sure you're gonna be fine! 😁