Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:22 am

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1406619 times)  Share 

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5790 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:39 am »
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up that this week is election week for MSA 2020 positions.

Voting is simple as this year, unless you want to vote for every candidate you just put a 1 on the first page for your party of choice and you're done. Plus, there's voting boxes in the LTB this year, which makes it much easier to vote as the queues to vote haven't been that big from what I've seen.

Enjoy the last week before the mid-sem break!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:43:43 am by Springyboy »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #5791 on: September 24, 2019, 05:47:34 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up that this week is election week for MSA 2020

Voting is simple as this year, unless you want to vote for every candidate you just put a 1 on the first page for your party of choice and you're done. Plus, there's voting boxes in the LTB this year, which makes it much easier to vote as the queues to vote haven't been that big from what I've seen.

Enjoy the last week before the mid-sem break!

Also voting boxes in HAL
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:34:46 pm by Bri MT »

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #5792 on: September 24, 2019, 11:32:48 pm »
+1
snip
Not sure it's a good idea to campaign for stupol here, for various reasons (least of which is that it violates the election rules, as far as I know)

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5793 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:22 am »
Not sure it's a good idea to campaign for stupol here, for various reasons (least of which is that it violates the election rules, as far as I know)

Fair enough I'm not campaigning though as I'm not a candidate, but deleted the middle section anyways

ddvv

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5794 on: September 26, 2019, 10:19:34 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm currently in Grade 12 in Queensland and looking to study biomedical science at Monash Uni next year. I was wondering if people had any recommendations as to what hall I should stay in – I am looking at both the Residential Village and the Urban Community. Thanks!

Fluffball

• Adventurer
« Reply #5795 on: October 02, 2019, 02:29:02 pm »
Hey everyone!
Would anyone who is currently doing bachelor of IT please tell me the pros and cons of it and why you chose Monash over other unis that provide IT courses :D

thanks xx

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #5796 on: October 02, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »
Hey everyone!
Would anyone who is currently doing bachelor of IT please tell me the pros and cons of it and why you chose Monash over other unis that provide IT courses :D

thanks xx

As somebody who has done a Bachelor of IT at a different university, honestly the actual content difference is minimal. For an IT degree, you should be looking at networking, industry placement internships / project opportunities as well. IT degrees are accredited by the ACS (Australian Computer Society) so they all have to meet minimum standards for this accreditation.

If you intend on going into industry immediately after graduation, work experience trumps qualifications. It is an industry that is heavily reliant on international workers and outsourcing.

For most undergraduate degrees, the university you go to does not matter that much. It is post-graduate that requires careful consideration as research quality etc. becomes more important. I would pick a university that is close to you or one that you can get to easily. 3 years is a long time and the title/prestige does not matter as much as experience and real-world practical skills. :)

If a uni doesn't offer many opportunities to network and practically apply your skills via an industry project etc, then definitely should be avoided. Technology is constantly changing so it's important that a uni you choose is up to date and offers emerging areas for you to learn about - e.g. cybersecurity (this has become a big thing particularly over the last few years). Don't forget about big data etc. too!

Hopefully you have an idea of what you want to focus on (e.g. a major or specific career pathway) if you are applying for this course - e.g. software developer, game dev, database admin, etc. and then you can target your learning towards that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:09:29 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

tid123

• Adventurer
« Reply #5797 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »
Hi there, didn’t get a response on the thread I made but does anyone have a rough idea please?

I'm applying for an external transfer and I'm just wondering what the WAM would be to get into Commerce at Monash. I know the min is 70% but does anyone know the actual figure for the transfer? Also, if you're doing a double degree like Finance and Commerce, what would be the WAM? Thanks

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5798 on: October 02, 2019, 06:35:34 pm »
Hi there, didn’t get a response on the thread I made but does anyone have a rough idea please?

I'm applying for an external transfer and I'm just wondering what the WAM would be to get into Commerce at Monash. I know the min is 70% but does anyone know the actual figure for the transfer? Also, if you're doing a double degree like Finance and Commerce, what would be the WAM? Thanks
I don’t know the actual figures, but usually a 75+ WAM (just in general for transfers) will get you there quite safely. It’s not a necessity though, as you mentioned, 70 WAM is the minimum.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

tid123

• Adventurer
« Reply #5799 on: October 08, 2019, 04:19:20 pm »
I don’t know the actual figures, but usually a 75+ WAM (just in general for transfers) will get you there quite safely. It’s not a necessity though, as you mentioned, 70 WAM is the minimum.

Thanks mate. Do you know if credits will be transfered? I'm doing a 1st year RMIT business course right now

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5800 on: October 08, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »
+4
Thanks mate. Do you know if credits will be transfered? I'm doing a 1st year RMIT business course right now
Unfortunately, this is a question you’re going to have to ask Monash directly for, as it depends on the units you did and whether Monash has an equivalent for it.

Try contacting Monash Connect by phone at (03) 9902 6011 (during business hours) or try here. They might redirect you to the Commerce Faculty Student Services.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:58:54 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5801 on: October 15, 2019, 05:26:50 pm »
Hi I have 2 quick questions. Is there any limit on the number of majors or minors that you can complete in one degree, or in the Bachelor of Arts specifically? Also, has anyone here ever taken 5 units in one semester? Did you find it difficult or very different to 4?

EDIT: I just found out I can’t take 5 units in a semester so ignore the second part of the question please  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:00:30 pm by DoctorTwo »

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #5802 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:34 am »
+4
Hi I have 2 quick questions. Is there any limit on the number of majors or minors that you can complete in one degree, or in the Bachelor of Arts specifically? Also, has anyone here ever taken 5 units in one semester? Did you find it difficult or very different to 4?

EDIT: I just found out I can’t take 5 units in a semester so ignore the second part of the question please  ;D ;D

With the BA, you can technically take up to 3 majors if you play around with the structure, but otherwise, 2 is often the advertised amount should you wish to do so. I also believe only 2 majors max will be printed on your degree (will need confirmation/source on that though). The BA requires at least 1 major and 1 minor (or 2 majors, 0 minors), there is no explicit maximum other than what is restricted by structure (e.g. there is only space for 24 units in the single degree), so you can take multiple minors.

5 units in a semester is possible. This is called overloading, and sometimes requires faculty approval before they let you do so.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:18:22 am by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #5803 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:26 am »
With the BA, you can technically take up to 3 majors if you play around with the structure, but otherwise, 2 is often the advertised amount should you wish to do so. I also believe only 2 majors max will be printed on your degree (will need confirmation/source on that though). The BA requires at least 1 major and 1 minor (or 2 majors, 0 minors), there is no explicit maximum other than what is restricted by structure (e.g. there is only space for 24 units in the single degree), so you can take multiple minors.

5 units in a semester is possible. This is called overloading, and sometimes requires faculty approval before they let you do so.

Thank you! Just on that last part, I tried adding an extra unit on WES but it wouldn’t let me, that’s why I assumed you couldn’t do it.

I have a different question that I think I already know the answer to. Basically, digital humanities is an area of study in the Bachelor of Arts that is comprised of units from the Arts, Info Tech and Design and Architecture faculties. My question is if I take one particular unit from that area of study that is taught by a faculty other than Arts, will it count as an arts elective since it’s in the digital humanities area of study? I’m guessing the answer is no but it’s worth a shot. Thanks!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #5804 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:52 am »
+2
Thank you! Just on that last part, I tried adding an extra unit on WES but it wouldn’t let me, that’s why I assumed you couldn’t do it.

I have a different question that I think I already know the answer to. Basically, digital humanities is an area of study in the Bachelor of Arts that is comprised of units from the Arts, Info Tech and Design and Architecture faculties. My question is if I take one particular unit from that area of study that is taught by a faculty other than Arts, will it count as an arts elective since it’s in the digital humanities area of study? I’m guessing the answer is no but it’s worth a shot. Thanks!

Yep, you'd have to visit the Arts student services to get approval for overloading, then they'll add in the unit for you manually.

If it's listed under the BA areas of study in the handbook (and you meet prerequisites to enrol into it), I would assume it will be counted as an 'Arts elective/unit' for the purposes of the BA. For example, my major is Psychology, which is entirely taught by the MNHS faculty, but is still my Arts major because it's listed as an area of study in the BA handbook. I would recommend visiting the Arts student services and asking there just to double check because I think digital humanities is quite new as an area of study.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (: