Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:58 am

Author Topic: Old Marking Rules  (Read 62978 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Re: Old Marking Rules
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 11:35:40 am »

Ahhh ok, so a long way to go for me haha .. I was just wondering if there was a way that I could be notified if I have been replied to on a post because I had to manually select this post and have a look (which I don't mind having to do) but for future use where I (hopefully) will posting all over the place it would be helpful having some central way to locate all the updates. But overall, this isn't too laborious so I don't mind looking through for myself  :)

Thanks again  8)
Haven't heard of much you can do with the website apart from checking that box to the left and keeping up with it. If you use the app you can get notifications for if your post was quoted, and just look at your unread threads.

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 11:47:02 am »
Ok cool! I didn't realise there was a button tracking this for me, thank you I have since found it!

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:57 pm »
As in, after one submission, does resubmitting the same essay constitute another 5 posts? Yes it does. The idea there, in addition to the regular rationale of ensuring the service remains useful and accessible, is that it demands you take some time away with the feedback and actively improve the work in every aspect. We'll give detailed feedback, and so you should use it to spend a decent amount of time improving the script. In that time, you can hang around the forums getting up the next 5 posts you need to get it marked again  ;D

Hey Jamon,

Regarding your question on one of the English forums (I'm really sorry, I couldn't find it now to name) asking where I read the 15 post and then 5 post for resubmission policy, it was here. But now I understand it's 15 posts for every essay - thanks for correcting me otherwise I would have just submitted the same essay twice haha.

Thanks again!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 11:33:15 pm »

Hey Jamon,

Regarding your question on one of the English forums (I'm really sorry, I couldn't find it now to name) asking where I read the 15 post and then 5 post for resubmission policy, it was here. But now I understand it's 15 posts for every essay - thanks for correcting me otherwise I would have just submitted the same essay twice haha.

Thanks again!
That was prior to the increased count. It used to be 5 posts per essay altogether, but then the forum became more active and they had to raise the requirements.

The change to 15 per extended response occurred some time in July.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:35:14 pm by RuiAce »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 11:35:43 pm »

Hey Jamon,

Thanks again!

Oh that's no worries at all! I had a feeling it was the old requirement peeking its head ;D I was afraid I'd written something wrong somewhere lol :P

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 11:43:54 pm »
Hey, does the free marking work via PM? or posting your essay/creative publicly? If so, have there ever been concerns about work getting copied?
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:53 pm »
Hey, does the free marking work via PM? or posting your essay/creative publicly? If so, have there ever been concerns about work getting copied?
I actually had someone PM me before the HSC exam asking if they could use my creative I posted. You know, the creative that I WAS ALSO USING. Shut that one down pretty quick haha.

I don't know the ins and outs of it haha, but I know that if its published online, then teachers also have access to it as well, so if anyone copied someone elses work, it wouldn't be hard for a teacher to find out. A lot of teachers use plagarism checkers, where they just need to type in a few sentences. I'm assuming ATARnotes would pop up in this as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:01:10 am by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 12:19:13 am »
I actually had someone PM me before the HSC exam asking if they could use my creative I posted. You know, the creative that I WAS ALSO USING. Shut that one down pretty quick haha.

I don't know the ins and outs of it haha, but I know that if its published online, then teachers also have access to it as well, so if anyone copied someone elses work, it wouldn't be hard for a teacher to find out. A lot of teachers use plagarism checkers, where they just need to type in a few sentences. I'm assuming ATARnotes would pop up in this as well.

Very correct! I'll add that the user who messaged you (I believe) pulled that behaviour on a few people; if it's the same person I'm thinking of, we made sure they couldn't see anyones work pretty bloody quick. We take that very seriously :)

All essay marking is public; the feedback is helpful to others beyond just the person who wrote the piece. It can help people identify issues in their own work. Kind of like one of those books of past essay responses you can buy from BOSTES; except ours is free and covers a range of skill levels. There are Band 6 essays in the threads, there are also Band 2 essays in the threads. The feedback we provide can reveal which is which and potentially give you a better view of your own work ;D

We've done essay marking in NSW for nearly a year now; we had no issues in 2016! And as I mentioned; we take plagiarism very seriously. And that's for everyone; we actually had a few people submit plagiarised essays for feedback last year. And I'm just sitting here like, "Why?"  :P

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
Hey there!! Is it possible to PM one of the moderators that moderate English ? For example, Elyse...
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 12:01:28 pm »
Hey there!! Is it possible to PM one of the moderators that moderate English ? For example, Elyse...

You can definitely PM Elyse or myself (click my username and select 'Send Message') if you need to chat about something, but we can't mark your essays privately :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 05:51:08 pm »

You can definitely PM Elyse or myself (click my username and select 'Send Message') if you need to chat about something, but we can't mark your essays privately :)

Ahhh i see! Though, people may plagiarise our essay or ideas... which is why I don't really want to share my publicly for marking.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
Ahhh i see! Though, people may plagiarise our essay or ideas... which is why I don't really want to share my publicly for marking.

Definitely understand your concerns, but we've never had any issue it. No complaints about it in all of 2016!! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:38 pm »

This was a concern I had as well when I first posted an essay, but remember that a lot of teachers use a plagarism checker. You basically just need to type in a few sentences and hey presto! Your post will come up if someone copied some/all of it.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 10:06:18 pm »
This was a concern I had as well when I first posted an essay, but remember that a lot of teachers use a plagarism checker. You basically just need to type in a few sentences and hey presto! Your post will come up if someone copied some/all of it.

And if we catch wind that anything even remotely dodgy is going on, we have developed loads of cool sleuthing techniques to work out what's happening, and how to stop it as soon as possible. I would feel pretty damn safe posting an essay on our forums :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 01:08:30 am »
I would feel pretty damn safe posting an essay on our forums :)

I mean, look at Jake's display picture right there. Would you want to plagiarise an essay with this guy keeping watch? I know I wouldn't  8)