Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:00 am

Author Topic: Hmm, This is Me Seeing if I can Survive All the Way Through HSC  (Read 11046 times)

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
  • Desperate for studying motivation 🥺
  • Respect: +11
Hmm, This is Me Seeing if I can Survive All the Way Through HSC
« on: December 23, 2020, 03:32:16 pm »
+7
So this is something that I honestly would've never seen myself doing. Just went through year 11 being severely impacted through COVID and honestly it seriously messed me up way more than I ever thought it would. Just to keep in mind I do go selective, so I swear these marks are devastating to me. I went from being a solid A - B student to a C - B one instead.

Honestly, I don't how or why, but covid broke me tbh. I've never been that hardworking of a student I guess. I procrastinated a bunch, finished assignments the day of or even the period before so I guess it was only a matter of time till reality caught up with me. It just hurts because I started 2020 thinking that this would be the year I could get my shit together only for it to be the complete opposite. Interesting how life works isn't it. You tell yourself you want to do or achieve something and then life throws something completely unexpected at you that completely breaks your spirit.

This is one convo that I vividly remember happening at the beginning of the year that has honestly just been on repeat through my mind.

"Hey mum, why can't I tell my friends about my europe trip! I'm so excited I want to talk about n get excited about it with them."

"I don't want you jinxing the trip okay, what if something happens to cancel it,"

"We've already booked the tickets, it's not like something can happen to completely stop us from entering Europe or something stop being so paranoid."

Ah such famous last words. To be fair I never did tell anyone until after the whole pandemic thing become a reality. But it really did feel like it was the universe or gods way of telling me to stop being so cocky and to never forget how unpredictable this world really is. 

Anyway, this whole thing has sent me spiralling. I completely bombed my prelims, and I didn't do to well in my first line of assessments either so that's fun. I'm just worried that it's slowly returning. I mean its just the first actual week of hols and there's already clusters. My next entry will defs be more related to my HSC progress but I just needed to let this out lol. See you soon!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:09:24 pm by fandomtrash2580 »
Don't worry about it,. It doesn't even matter, not like it's year 12 yet - Once said by a tragic procrastinator who is now preparing for their HSC

HSC 2021 let's try NOT to fail 😎

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Hmm, This is Me Seeing if I can Survive All the Way Through HSC
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 04:54:27 pm »
+1
So this is something that I honestly would've never seen myself doing. Just went through year 11 being severely impacted through COVID and honestly it seriously messed me up way more than I ever thought it would. Just to keep in mind I do go selective, so I swear these marks are devastating to me. I went from being a solid A - B student to a C - B one instead.

Honestly, I don't how or why, but covid broke me tbh. I've never been that hardworking of a student I guess. I procrastinated a bunch, finished assignments the day of or even the period before so I guess it was only a matter of time till reality caught up with me. It just hurts because I started 2020 thinking that this would be the year I could get my shit together only for it to be the complete opposite. Interesting how life works isn't it. You tell yourself you want to do or achieve something and then life throws something completely unexpected at you that completely breaks your spirit.

This is one convo that I vividly remember happening at the beginning of the year that has honestly just been on repeat through my mind.

"Hey mum, why can't I tell my friends about my europe trip! I'm so excited I want to talk about n get excited about it with them."

"I don't want you jinxing the trip okay, what if something happens to cancel it,"

"We've already booked the tickets, it's not like something can happen to completely stop us from entering Europe of something stop being so paranoid."

Ah such famous last words. To be fair I never did tell anyone until after the whole pandemic thing become a reality. But it really did feel like it was the universe or gods way of telling me to stop being so cocky and to never forget how unpredictable this world really is. 

Anyway, this whole thing has sent me spiralling. I completely bombed my prelims, and I didn't do to well in my first line of assessments either so that's fun. I'm just worried that it's slowly returning. I mean its just the first actual week of hols and there's already clusters. My next entry will defs be more related to my HSC progress but I just needed to let this out lol. See you soon!

Hello and welcome to the forums!
I'm interested to follow your journal. :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Jinju-san

• Trailblazer
  • ‘The harder the conflict, the greater the triumph'
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:05:37 pm »
+3

"We've already booked the tickets, it's not like something can happen to completely stop us from entering Europe of something stop being so paranoid."

Hey there!
I am also a year 11 student from Victoria completing two unit 3 and 4 subjects this year. I can totally understand what you’re saying about how this year has panned out and what it has taught you…
I was never a grade A student to begin with, and I deeply admire your determination and motivation to do well in school (a lot of my friends couldn’t care less about this sort of stuff). I also went through a stressful time this year and I know that everyone in the world has been impacted a lot by it..
I remember breaking down in tears in front of my English teacher at school at the beginning of the year and telling her how overwhelming it felt to be faced with so many assessments and how stressful I was finding my social life (I have always been a very introverted person and found it difficult to make worthwhile friends.. Year 11 made me realise how toxic some of my friends are..).
Please remember that you are never alone in whatever problems it is that you are facing. Life has a way of giving you reminders about what is and isn’t important and along with the roller coaster of Year 11 and 12, rewarded for all of your efforts.

Try your best to keep your spirits high!! :)
(P.S. Sorry about making this so long!!)

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 07:19:41 pm »
+2
Heyo,

Welcome to the forums! The year has definitely been hard on everyone, so please don't be too hard on yourself for what's already past - I know many people in my year who've been disappointed by shocking results from their prelims, and used it as a wake up call to turn themselves around in year 12. Hopefully these holidays will be a chance for you to regain your spirit and motivation.

Looking forward to hearing more! What subjects are you doing?

Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 11:24:27 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forums!
I'm interested to follow your journal. :)

Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully I'll be motivated enough to post here regularly!
Don't worry about it,. It doesn't even matter, not like it's year 12 yet - Once said by a tragic procrastinator who is now preparing for their HSC

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:31:36 pm »
+2
Hey there!
I am also a year 11 student from Victoria completing two unit 3 and 4 subjects this year. I can totally understand what you’re saying about how this year has panned out and what it has taught you…
I was never a grade A student to begin with, and I deeply admire your determination and motivation to do well in school (a lot of my friends couldn’t care less about this sort of stuff). I also went through a stressful time this year and I know that everyone in the world has been impacted a lot by it..
I remember breaking down in tears in front of my English teacher at school at the beginning of the year and telling her how overwhelming it felt to be faced with so many assessments and how stressful I was finding my social life (I have always been a very introverted person and found it difficult to make worthwhile friends.. Year 11 made me realise how toxic some of my friends are..).
Please remember that you are never alone in whatever problems it is that you are facing. Life has a way of giving you reminders about what is and isn’t important and along with the roller coaster of Year 11 and 12, rewarded for all of your efforts.

Try your best to keep your spirits high!! :)
(P.S. Sorry about making this so long!!)

Hey don't apologise for the long message! I honestly appreciated it way more than you know.  :) I Honestly love my friends but I don't know I just am not that open of a person so I didn't feel that comfortable opening up to them (or anyone for that matter). It honestly made me feel better reading and knowing that there were other people in the same boat as me.  And I honestly hear you about the friends thing, this year has honestly been pretty eye opening to me as well and I've learnt more about where I stand with people. The whole thing has taken a toll on me emotionally and mentally. But like you said hopefully all this is happening for a reason.

Here's to better things in 2021!  ;D

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:37:04 pm »
+1
Heyo,

Welcome to the forums! The year has definitely been hard on everyone, so please don't be too hard on yourself for what's already past - I know many people in my year who've been disappointed by shocking results from their prelims, and used it as a wake up call to turn themselves around in year 12. Hopefully these holidays will be a chance for you to regain your spirit and motivation.

Looking forward to hearing more! What subjects are you doing?

Thanks for the welcome and I honestly hope so as well. Hopefully I can use this period of time to pick myself up and turn myself around for the better :) I've never been one  for having a lot of motivation but honestly I really hope I can realise that to get to where I want to be this time next year I seriously need to work harder more than I ever have before. Fingers crossed I can get there 🤞

Currently I do 12 units which are Physics, Adv Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Adv English, Ext 1 English, Business Studies and Software Design and Development.

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 08:07:37 pm »
+4
Hey!

I too have just started my year 12 journey and am in a very similar situation as you. Just remember it is one year, and ultimately we have our whole future ahead of us. I wish you all the luck and best, but have faith in yourself, be your main supporter, motivator, and I can't think of another word that rhymes ahhahaha.

But you got this!!!!!!
Remember, pain is temporary, but the HSC is for life
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 04:25:25 pm »
+9
It's now Christmas and being forced to be stuck inside has made my motivation and productivity lessen so let's set out a list of some of the stuff to get done!

English Advanced
So for this subject I have quite a bit to do that I have been neglecting and that is to thoroughly go through the resources provided to me by the school and make further extensive notes to them. I also have been aiming to use the feedback I have received for the first task and rewrite my essay and send it off to my mentor ( School teacher thing), because my actual English teacher lowkey sucks. After finishing all that hopefully I'll be done with module A and can move on to getting a head start with Module B. I have to head to tutoring so I'll be going through a bit there but I wanted to do some self prep on my own to get a sufficient understanding of the content.

English Extension 1
Extension 1 much like Adv I have to go through the resources given to us by the school and just work through them adding on notes and doing some more extensive work. I also got my notification for my assignment that is about reading a canonical piece of literature and finding an academic reading on it while also making a creative piece and highlight how you've drawn inspiration from the literary world of that book. I was tossing up between Metamorphoses or The Picture of Dorian Grey, but I think I'm going to go with the latter since I've read it before when I was younger and I have the hard copy at home. It's also a very interesting novel and when I was reading it previously I was a bit confused because I couldn't understand the complexity of the character. I think if I read it now however, I'll have a deeper understanding of it. Before the assignment came out I had also been wanting to have a read of it again so this is the perfect excuse haha.

Maths Advanced / Extension 1
Maths to be honest I have been dreading. I have put it off for so long but I really need to get a handle on it. It's pretty much the same problem for both of them, but I need to work through all of my past content. I don't have a proper fundamental grasp of the concepts and I only work through with a very surface level knowledge. This is fine for just regurgitating maths problems that I have seen and done before. But those that require a more intensive use of problem solving is what really gets me stuck. Maths has always been something that even if I wasn't expecting it I did better than average most of the time so I guess I've just really taken advantage of that and become  very nonchalant with it. However, I have realised that will no longer work and I absolutely have to make a much more serious effort.

Physics
The kind of opposite (but not really) can be said for physics. I have always absolutely SUCKED at physics. I'm not even trying to be like modest or anything, because why bother, but like I'm literally the worst and have always bunked all my science exams since year 7. Now this may bring up the question of why even bother with it. Well, to be fair first of all the teacher that I've got honestly has really changed my mind on it and Physics itself is more seemingly enjoyable to be honest. I guess it's true when they say that a teacher really can affect what you think of a subject. And also, I didn't want to limit my options. I mainly am considering a computer science degree but with the wide variety of engineering degrees that exist, what if I find one that really appeals to me. Because I've always been pretty into STEM and I might consider it more seriously in the future. While it may not be a prerequisite its a well known fact that physics is almost essential to an engineering degree and therefore I want to at least learn the fundamentals of it before giving up.
I need to work hard this holidays though, because last year messed me up in physics more than the other subjects because the pandemic stopped me from pretty much half of the schooling year. Even after schools opened back up, I still had to skip so much as a result of taking care for my grandparents. And the first HSC task, I really expected to do better since it was very math based (which is more of my strong part) yet I did disappointingly not well so I really have to work hard and get better. I have some tutoring resources for the first module which I missed, and alot of work from school (because my teacher is the best and works really hard for our class 🥺) and then after covering all of that I'm going to work through some of the textbook and make some notes.

Software Design and Development
Software is one of my best subjects right now. It's always one that I've been confident in and that's probably because I can say with confidence that coding and technology has been one of the closest things I have to a hobby. My school for some reason has one of the worst stem faculties I have seen which surprises me, because me putting this school as number 2 when apply for selective high schools definitely did not expect this. However I'm stuck with it for now and was able to apply for Software as a subject through distance education. Honestly, I'm glad that this was the case because I doubt my school would've been able to sufficiently guide me through this subject anyway lol. Distance ed has honestly been an interesting experience, I've usually used my study periods for a bit of mucking around but it didn't end up being much of a problem because I always did the work to a pretty high standard anyway. I've been more serious this term for sure and have even tried to build a stronger relationship with my teacher so that I can have a better sense of support through the subject.

Business Studies
Business as most people know is just done entirely through ROTE learning and honestly I considered it a bit of a bludge previously. However, (definitely not surprisingly) I didn't end up doing too well. But I know that this is a subject that if I put the sufficient amount of effort into I can most definitely perform well as long as I do the best that I can. I've already been working on that and hopefully that paid off. We haven't gotten the marks back for the first task but my teacher did tell me that I have greatly improved so I guess that's a push in the right direction.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:58:29 pm by fandomtrash2580 »

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 04:30:29 pm »
+1
Hey!

I too have just started my year 12 journey and am in a very similar situation as you. Just remember it is one year, and ultimately we have our whole future ahead of us. I wish you all the luck and best, but have faith in yourself, be your main supporter, motivator, and I can't think of another word that rhymes ahhahaha.

But you got this!!!!!!

Aw thanks for the sweet words! I guess you're right but damn it's one annoyingly important year lol. I'm hoping both of us can go through the HSC with marks and grades that make the both of us feel incredibly proud and happy of ourselves. Let's work hard and give the HSC the best of what we've got!

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 08:36:37 pm »
+6
So to sum up that excruciatingly long post I previously posted, essentially I have to:

• Finish school work
  • Rewrite essay with feedback
  • Finish school work
  • Read the 'Picture of Dorian Gray'
  • Find an academic reading
  • Work through and grasp year 11 concepts
  • Finish the topic Vectors
  • Go through year 12 concepts and work ahead if possible
  • Cover previous tutoring work
  • Go through all the sheets provided by sir
  • Make notes on module 1
  • Go through topics for module 2
  • Finish ISH1 and all the quizzes
  • Start SAE
  • Make notes on ISH1
  • Completely finish Operations
  • Work through snapshot questions
  • Make sure to cover McDonalds Case study
  • Mimic format and do the same for probably a Samsung case study
  • Start on the next topic
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:08:06 pm by fandomtrash2580 »

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 01:34:44 pm »
+6
Ah this sucks but right before school is beginning I literally got the worst news. The head teacher for our English faculty, who I was supposed to have teaching me for extension English just got an amazing promotion, unfortunately that means that she can no longer keep working at our school. So that's pretty tough for me to come to terms with considering she was the literal back bone every assessment, resource and everything to do with English at our school. It really does suck though because I remember how excited I was when I found out she was my teacher I went around telling everyone, I guess that's karma. So oh well school's starting soon so that's :/. I'll probably be back with some b2school updates so let's see how that goes.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 02:36:21 pm »
oh no :(

Do you know who the replacement will be yet?

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 11:46:03 pm »
+3
oh no :(

Do you know who the replacement will be yet?

Probably mid way during this term but especially since she was the head teacher they'll probably have to work to get it done as soon as possibly hopefully. 🤞🤞

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 10:48:08 am »
+4
This is just a quick back to school update!

Haven't been on here for a while so I think it'll be good to leave a quick message.

I've gotten back all my assignments that I did as Task 1 and can officially say I have gotten... Just Average!
Yeah definitely not that great haha, but considering how behind I was last year I can consider this as pretty okay. I think I can say that I the holidays I was able to use as a way to at least sort out my study methods and really get back on track after last year. So fingers crossed but hopefully it's just an uphill journey from here on out. My mindset really has changed and I can definitely say I've been working significantly harder. However, I'm still trying to find a good balance between social and study time because regardless of everything this still is the last year I'm ever going to be in year 12 so I should make sure to maintain and create memories with my friends and everyone else here. So instead of being cooped up studying I should try and be a bit more social haha.

As of now I have three assignments:
  • A Software Task[/li]
    • BBuilding a DC motor and making a video for it
    • Finish off our Writing and Reading Portfolio

The one good thing we got after our head teacher left was an extension for our Ext English task! We got two weeks more and I think I've really used it to be more extensive in my submission. Hopefully I will be able to make a change for the better and finish a task for the first time a day before the due date! So let's see how that goes. Until next time! 👋👋