Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:27:50 am

Author Topic: How to organise further bound reference  (Read 2645 times)  Share 

sarah_mx23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to organise further bound reference
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:43:09 pm »
Hi!
Ok so I'm not sure how I should organise my notes/bound reference this year??
I know that sounds quite broad, but I'm considering using a notebook to do questions/take down class notes. Then after each lesson, on loose-leaf paper, making a summary page of that chapter to compile into a bound reference by the end of the year.
However, I know that for each 3/4 sac this year I'll be allowed a bounded book of notes...how would this work by the end of the year if I have multiple bounded notes??
I've gotten the suggestion of using an 100 page notebook throughout the year, and taking this into sacs and using as my bound reference at the end of the year. However, what if I need more space closer to exam time?
Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense, but does anyone have any advice on how they're organising their further work?
Thanks!!  :)  :o

addition

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10
Re: How to organise further bound reference
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »
+3
Sounds good what you're planning so far. Maybe do it mostly with loose leaf notes if you're worried about not having enough space. That way you can also organise things by topic and come back to it later to add in tricky exam questions and that kind of thing.

Hopefully you won't need it too much in the exam, I know I only looked at mine once in exam 2 for methods. But it's a good revision tool to use throughout the year.

Everything has to be bound into one book with one solid spine. Your teacher should be able to check it come  exam time to make sure it's vcaa approved. Also, make sure not to leave it until the last minute, because that can be stressful, however it sound like you're already on top of things. Good luck :)

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
+3
Hey! Welcome to AN  :D
I definitely wouldn't leave making your summary book to the end of the year as it can take hours and hours to put together and this period of time is when you really want to be doing practice questions and exams.
Using your book for class notes and work could be a good idea, as you will have all of the content that you need to look back on if you get stuck, but it can very easily get messy and confusing (especially if theres a question that you want to refer back to, and you only have the answer - unless you wrote down the question too which adds heaps of time and I definitely don't recommend!).
You could use the loose leaf paper that you said you were going to use and compile it into a big summary book at the end of the year, which is definitely more open to changes, and (check with your teacher for sure) staple and tape the pages together before SAC's as I believe that they consider this as bound. This way, you will have motivation to keep it up to date, because I personally know that I would just leave it till the exam even if I had the best intentions to update it all the time  :-\ . You can, of course, remove the tape and staples to add or remove pages that you think is/isn't required. In my opinion, it's better to use the same bound reference throughout the year as you do in the exam (obviously adding to it as you go) as you get a good idea of where everything is.
Totally up to you, though, and what you see is best. You of course can try out different methods throughout the year (e.g. for the first SAC, bring in the class notes and the next the stapled loose leaf paper that you will use as your final summary for the second). 
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 12:00:06 pm »
+1
Agree with what others have said - definitely best to make it throughout the year and use it for all your SACs, adding to it as you go - will also help you to be familiar with where everything in your book is which will save you time.

It's definitely possible to just use a notebook if you prefer - that's what I did. If you're worried about space just leave a margin by the spine and you can join multiple books together (glueing the covers, punching holes in the margin + zipties through the holes & tape over the spine will make it into one book).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra